Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things don't look good. Farmers are going to be killing off their piglets because there simply isn't a market.

https://www.kcci.com/article/iowa-hog-farmers-we-are-in-crisis/32220845

Snippet:
Instead, restaurant closures due to the coronavirus have contributed to an estimated $5 billion in losses for the industry, and almost overnight millions of hogs stacking up on farms now have little value. Some farmers have resorted to killing piglets because plunging sales mean there is no room to hold additional animals in increasingly cramped conditions.
Remainder on link.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,135 Posts
People are still eating every meal every day so all this excess food that's being destroyed must be food that people normally paid for then servers put onto a plate and then customers decided to not eat. Food that normally went into the dumpster behind the restaurant as they bussed the tables.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,802 Posts
Things don't look good. Farmers are going to be killing off their piglets because there simply isn't a market.

https://www.kcci.com/article/iowa-hog-farmers-we-are-in-crisis/32220845

Snippet:

Remainder on link.
This is huge!

China lost half their hogs due to a african swine flue. Hogs are their primary source of protien.

So they drag their feet negontiating a trade agreement with the US to obtain hogs and grain at favorable prices, then dont buy our ag products agressively.
Now we find out they have been lying all along about Corona-19. All we need to do is slam the door on them.

They need our ag products to feed tbeir people, but they lied, so why not tell them to pound sand.

Note to POTUS, embargo all trade with China. All trade. We dont buy, we dont sell, we dont even answer the phone.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,802 Posts
I wished I could find some to buy!! NOBODY is selling any around here. I don't want to drive all the way to Iowa to buy some piglets
You need to come to the LaFlure county auction. Hogs are so cheap I butchered 4 of them instead of driving them to the sale barn.

Now I need to figgure out how to cure and smoke bacon.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
You need to come to the LaFlure county auction. Hogs are so cheap I butchered 4 of them instead of driving them to the sale barn.

Now I need to figgure out how to cure and smoke bacon.
I think Oklahoma is even further than Iowa from here. I have had people wanting to sell me giant hogs , but I want babies

We had some random people that we haven't seen since we moved here ( neighbors a few miles away that came up when we got here) come up to our farm and ask if we have any livestock for sale. We have already sold all we want to sell right now, and told them not right now. They ended up buy a bunch of eggs from us.
Things are getting weird. Someone I was going to buy a goat buck for breeding from backed out and told me they wanted to keep him.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
At some point, about five months with pigs, this is going to impact. You cannot break the chain. The economic loss is awful to contemplate. Plus, remember two, maybe three years ago there was a viral illness that was hitting piglets and sows? I cannot imagine the toll this takes on a person who has even a small level of care for their animals. Killing the young is awful.

I am torn as to whether we raise pigs this year. I would prefer not to but, we do need to eat. Whether piglets can be found remains to be seen. Maybe I better start looking. Ugh!

·
I have control issues
5,986 Posts

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
People are still eating every meal every day so all this excess food that's being destroyed must be food that people normally paid for then servers put onto a plate and then customers decided to not eat. Food that normally went into the dumpster behind the restaurant as they bussed the tables.
People don't buy their own food and kill it themselves. They rely on a middle man. Right now the middle man is struggling to stay open because 20-30% of their employees are getting sick. Consumer demand will drop if they think their food was made by sick people and the government may shut them down.

The middle man buys from the farmer. So when he stops buying it doesn't matter if the customers want to eat or not, because they can't buy from the middle man who no longer is selling to the grocery stores.

If end users are hungry they'll need to bypass the grocery stores, with packaged meat from the meat processing plants, find a farmer and learn to butcher and store their own. It will take a little while for the store supply disruptions to catch up given our freezer and refrigeration capacity.

Then all the sudden the news will claim it's hoarders buying up all the meat. Which we all know isn't true.

I guarantee every farmer culling his animals for nothing would take something for them if you offer them money. I'm going to talk to my parents about seeing if their neighbor has a few hogs he'd like to sell.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
This is huge!

China lost half their hogs due to a african swine flue. Hogs are their primary source of protien.

So they drag their feet negontiating a trade agreement with the US to obtain hogs and grain at favorable prices, then dont buy our ag products agressively.
Now we find out they have been lying all along about Corona-19. All we need to do is slam the door on them.

They need our ag products to feed tbeir people, but they lied, so why not tell them to pound sand.

Note to POTUS, embargo all trade with China. All trade. We dont buy, we dont sell, we dont even answer the phone.
Being able to eat/feed family/friends is a sign of success (being prosperous). Once get used to eating protein not many normal people want to go away from it.

The BIG problem for China/Far East trade now is moving cargo TO chicomland. So few imports coming in the containers are not available for Westbound shipments. As feed for hog/poultry. Ag exports are being forced to buy and repair old condemned containers so they have something to ship in.

Living in Iowa about every 4yr there is an "the sky if falling" story for hog farmers and will all go bankrupt.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,607 Posts
So I need to rig my pickup truck with a crane to lift hogs for processing, and a couple spare chest freezers that run off an inverter or small genny?

Then drive to Oklahoma. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A new day brings:

Tyson to suspend operations 'indefinitely' at Waterloo pork plant

https://www.kcci.com/article/tyson-...-indefinitely-at-waterloo-pork-plant/32236230

WATERLOO, Iowa —

Tyson Foods announced Wednesday that the company will indefinitely suspend operations at its Waterloo pork plant this week.

The company said its largest pork plant has been running at reduced levels of production due to worker absenteeism and will stop production mid-week until further notice.
rest on link...

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,947 Posts
I need to get that freezer and fill it pronto.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts