Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IL/WI border reporting... it's 5am. We've got about a foot of the HEAVY wet snow. My car is parked on the street, and the snowplow guys must of went home for a nap. (It's a small town, so we only have 2 fella's) The street has 6 inches on it. It's STILL snowing!!! My car.... UGH!!! the plows have me buried good. The snow bank is AS TALL as the car! :eek:

Blizzard Warnings remain in effect until Midnight. Winds of 25-40mph expected with gusts exceeding 50mph.

The good news... I don't have to report to work until 1pm. Plenty of time to dig myself out. My job is 12 miles away, in the next town. Bad news... I get done with work at 8pm, and will be driving home in this stuff.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just checked Rockford News/Weather and Madison News/Weather, to compare notes. It seems my little microclimate can expect 20 inches of snow!!!

Maybe I'm not going to work???

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
...hope you are well, and that you made it through the weather ok. Thanks for the weather update... I think that is the same storm front that is heading east to us.

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
We have a fairly healthy storm at our doorstep right now but nothing like the amount of snow you have out there 123Testing. We may get 6-10 inches here on the coast (not a big deal in Maine) but the real issue is apparently going to be the winds. The forecast is for gusts up to 60mph.

I am going down to test start the generator shortly as I do expect to lose power.

Sorry to hear about your car, it's not fun digging out. And stay home from work if you can, no sense being on the roads until the storm passes.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank goodness my young adult son moved back home this past summer!!! He just got my car dug out in 1/2 hr. Strapping strong young lad. LOL

I'm *thinking*... this snow is soooooo HEAVY and WET.... I just don't see how those winds will create blowing and drifting??? (the winds will supposedly start after the snow has stopped)

Time will tell....

Time to shovel a spot in the backyard. My little lap dog only has 4 inch legs, and she needs to go potty. LOL

·
Resident Ninja
2,092 Posts
I live in the Fox Valley in Wisconsin and just made it into work. The main roads and highways were fine... but I struggled a little bit on the back roads. It IS still snowing... at this point, I'm more concerned with how I'm going to make it home rather than making it here this morning.

:D:

Drive safe out there, everyone!!

·
Μολὼν λαβ
596 Posts
Welcome to the Midwest and just in time for the Copenhagen Conference to tell you it's
supposed to be like Florida or Arizona here.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My son has his van parked in my backalley driveway. He's trapped... no where to go! The neighbor to the south... a tree came down and is blocking the alley. The neighbor to the north... POWER lines down crossing the alley. Safe to say... he's not going anywhere.

My car is finally all dug out... and trees just came down in the streets, from the weight of this heavy wet snow. My street is blocked at the north and south.

It may be a few days before we go any where?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
No snow on the ground here in Lubbock, Texas but is ihas been cold, with one day of 59 and the rest for over a week of below freezing, today it was 16 degree this morning.

The problem I am haveing is keeping water to my goats and barbardo sheep.

In cold weather they do not require much but must have a bit.

I have been reduced to carrying 10 5 gal bottles of water from the house to the farm.

I put 3 30 gal barrels in the truck but it was frozen before I could get it used up.

having fun, without the sun
in Lubbock, so got to run
watering the animals is so much fun
want to help hon

later
wayne

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Wayne... since your temps are around 16F ABOVE zero... I would love to offer a helping hand!!!

Ya see... tomorrow... our wind chill temps will be -25 BELOW zero. So I'm thinking you're having a heat wave.

·
Plants don't run!
1,977 Posts
WOAH! I woke up this morning, looked outside, and we're snowed in! There's at least a foot of snow and 70mph winds (well...that's from the weather channel) I'm in Michigan's U.P.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm lucky, only freezing temps here (So. Oregon), no snow in the valleys. Some areas were below zero, at my house the lowest was around 10-11 degrees. Hang in there folks!

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 of my sons is a Volunteer Fireman/EMT... so he has one of those scanner thingys on his hip. He said our county is going nuts with downed trees and downed power lines blocking roads and streets. Also car accidents.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
How many of yer neighbors think yer a loon as a prepper now?
and are at yer door?

Hunker down -- good luck and may God bless, and keep yall safe sound, and warm.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The snow must be much lighter here in north central iowa. I haven't heard of any power outages. I am fully prepped should an extended outage occur, but, thank goodness, I haven't heard of any locally.

Trees and lines seem to be holding up. Wind gusts passing 30 mph and could get up to the 50-60 mph later today. We'll see how things hold up.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Snowing with blizzard warning in SW michigan too, were getting the "lake effect" snow. 4 - 6" expected.

Im sure glad the climate is warming up, can you imagine the snow storm if it was a normal winter? :rolleyes:

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
on an amusing note, the power briefly went out here last eve for about 10 mins...panic ensued from my 10th grader, "Dad she screamed, the powers out how are we going to be able to flush the commodes?!!" "push the handle down" I said without missing a beat....where did we go wrong people? :) I love being a dad.

·
Resident Ninja
2,092 Posts
Confirmed we've got at least a foot on the ground here... and another 6"-8" on the way. High temp tomorrow is also supposed to be only 8 degrees... and that's without the wind chill. :D: :(

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
We have a fairly healthy storm at our doorstep right now but nothing like the amount of snow you have out there 123Testing. We may get 6-10 inches here on the coast (not a big deal in Maine) but the real issue is apparently going to be the winds. The forecast is for gusts up to 60mph.

I am going down to test start the generator shortly as I do expect to lose power.

Sorry to hear about your car, it's not fun digging out. And stay home from work if you can, no sense being on the roads until the storm passes.
Yes. We moved to Skowhegan last year. I'm afraid of the power going out too. The lights blink all the time in good weather. The snow has already changed from powdery this morning to wet and getting really windy. We have plenty of battery lanterns and flashlights and candles but everything else is electric. Even the propane heater uses electricity to start it. We have plenty of food but nothing to cook it on. Gonna have to be tuna or spam sandwiches and canned ravioli or something. I'm not so worried about food as I am keeping warm. And we don't know anyone here with a wood stove.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts