Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone use a midlength gas system on a predator hunting rifle?

I in the process of building a new midlength gas system rifle. Instead of the standard military front sight I thought going flat top.

Coyotes and other predators are killing my chickens, so I thought about doing some coyote calling. Instead of using my remington model 700 in 280 express, why not build an AR that can double as a coyote rifle?

Specs I am thinking about:

16 inch barrel
Midlength gas system
3x9 or a 4x12 scope
Palmetto state armory, unless there is something better for the price.

What length rail do yall suggest?

Longest shots should be in the 150 yard range.

I have the lower built. It is a spikes with a CMMG parts kit. All I need to do it order the upper.

Update:

Palmetto state armory freedom mid-length upper build - http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=506897

·
Registered
357 Posts
That would work, although any decent varmint rifle should.

My go to is a Rock River 20 in barrel, rifle gas system rifle.

150 yard shots could almost be done with a .22LR with the right shot placement. So whatever you can hit with accurately and has the knock down power for a coyote. .223/5.56 is fine in any gas system.

PLR-16 pistol could do it to.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,966 Posts

I in the process of building a new midlength gas system rifle. Instead of the standard military front sight I thought going flat top.

Coyotes and other predators are killing my chickens, so I thought about doing some coyote calling. Instead of using my remington model 700 in 280 express, why not build an AR that can double as a coyote rifle?

16 inch barrel
Midlength gas system
3x9 or a 4x12 scope

I have the lower built. It is a spikes with a CMMG parts kit. All I need to do it order the upper.
I think I would would mount a lower magnification scope. Perhaps a 1.5-6x.
The coyotes in my area can escape into the brush pretty damn fast.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
Anyone use a midlength gas system on a predator hunting rifle? I don't, but I use one as a deer-rifle, and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot other things.

Coyotes and other predators are killing my chickens, so I thought about doing some coyote calling. Instead of using my remington model 700 in 280 express, why not build an AR that can double as a coyote rifle? Mo guns iz mo gooder!

16 inch barrel
Midlength gas system
3x9 or a 4x12 scope
Just QA/QC it when you get it.

The longest one.

The 60gr VMAX type stuff should do great. At 150 yards, most any VMAX type round 55gr+ should work.

Replies in red.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Here is a coyote killed with an M193, 55gr FMJ.

The bullet went in below the right eye at an oblique and, although you can't see it in this pic, completely removed the brain. The skull is empty. Dead is dead.

Not a mid length but, I think that the gas tube length would not matter much. Especially at 150 yards or less.

Al

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
Just about any AR style platform at >150 yards will do the job, and at that range 55 grains vs 62 grains vs another bullet really won't matter much. There's no magic to killing coyotes, they're just dogs. Hit them in a vital area and they'll be dead.

As for glass a good 4X fixed power will do quite nicely.

·
OTP Rebel
997 Posts

The bullet went in below the right eye at an oblique and, although you can't see it in this pic, completely removed the brain. The skull is empty. Dead is dead.

Not a mid length but, I think that the gas tube length would not matter much. Especially at 150 yards or less.

Al
That's what I usually use on coyote, since that's what my woods carry is. The 1:12 twist and a M193 @ 3300 + or - FPS is lethal on predators :thumb:

Back to the OP though.
I find a 2-7x 35 Burris is enough power at under 200 yards, which is what I have on a Spikes Optimum Mid length . but the sight picture is much better with the 4 - 12 x 44 Vortex Crossfire on a 20" Sabre Defense barrel. I leave it a 4 power.

Here's a link to said Spike's (FN) optimium CHF Mid length
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1426949_wts_spikes_barrels.html

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,966 Posts
I dunno Kev's eyesight situation, but most anything 3x and up with good glass will provide PID and such at 150 yards.
My eye sight is rapidly turning to crap right now.

No more fixed blade sights, just a couple of receiver sights, I tend to spend more on my scope than I do for the gun.

Kev, have you considered buying a NV scope for this?

·
Survivor
16,346 Posts
My 100 yard "varmint" AR is a direct impingement 16" slab side flat top, 1:9 with flip up sights. I'm sure it would reach out to 150 yards but my eyesight isn't what it used to be so I don't usually go beyond 100.

If I want to reach out further with an AR, I have a 1:7 with a 4X fixed scope on it.

·
Fenced In
3,321 Posts
Out to 150yds, you could probably get by with 4X magnification, saving yourself some weight, although with a more powerful optic, I'd bet you'd find your AR quite capable out to twice that distance. I have pretty poor eyesight, but start my 3-9X scope at max magnification at 300yds (longest range available to me) and start to dial it back to lower power until I get to the point where I can't distinguish my target.

However, getting back to the matter of weight, you may want to put a bipod on a coyote gun, which of course tacks some weight on.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
Out to 150yds, you could probably get by with 4X magnification, saving yourself some weight, although with a more powerful optic, I'd bet you'd find your AR quite capable out to twice that distance. I have pretty poor eyesight, but start my 3-9X scope at max magnification at 300yds (longest range available to me) and start to dial it back to lower power until I get to the point where I can't distinguish my target.

However, getting back to the matter of weight, you may want to put a bipod on a coyote gun, which of course tacks some weight on.
Glass quality is huge, too. Coyote's like the morning and dusk. I have found my 4 and 6 power variables much easier/better than many of the cheap 4-12's I've shot on other people's rifles at the range. Clarity and light gathering are prime characteristics.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts

16 inch barrel
Midlength gas system
3x9 or a 4x12 scope

An excuse to have another rifle that doubles as a coyote killer sounds interesting. Depending on the other uses you might have for it in mind, that would determine how I would build it along with optics chosen, rail length, etc...

My multipurpose AR build would be a suppressed SBR with pistol length gas system and chambered in 300 blackout.

Nothing need be all that special regarding ammunition choice for dumpin dogs. I suggest using coyotes to test any given load you want some first hand knowledge with regarding the rifle's multi purpose use you plan for it.

Same thing with optics. I prefer a wide field of view as coyotes being called will generally be moving right along. ( Before the hogs ran them off, I was calling them in during the day)
My current multi use optic is a Leupold 1-4×20 mm vx1. ( Plenty of sight picture for 150yards, and a honest 1x if you catch um running out of your chicken coup.
If calling them in at night, 3gen NVS or thermals.

Fwiw. ..... Nothin wrong with using your M700 either.

Below pics are 2 I have taken using the scope mentioned above mounted on my M14S. 168gr OTM, and 175gr SMK. Kills predators, varmits, pests, and any other critter that bleeds after being shot.

Attachments

·
The Darkside Cometh
459 Posts

16 inch barrel
Midlength gas system
3x9 or a 4x12 scope

I built a midlength rifle in 5.56 and love it. The difference is I used an 18" fluted, s/s bull barrel from Anderson Manufacturing.

The recoil is so much lighter than with a carbine system [not that the carbine has a lot of recoil in the first place] but it's like something between a .22 lr and .22 magnum round. It's uber light.

As far as rail length, I'd say not much at all. What exactly do you plan on strapping on the rifle? IMO, you only need rails for the scope, iron sights and perhaps a flashlight. Just mount a round hand guard with keymod rail attachment points for what you need and that's it. As far as 'length' of the hand guard goes....just long enough to cover the gas block is [IMO] sufficient. I used a 15" hand guard on the one above because I liked the looks of it more than the 9" and 12" versions.

·
Currently surviving SHTF
2,485 Posts
I have a mid length palmetto freedom rifle with the stainless barrel. I mounted a Leatherwood CMR 1-4x.

Only blasted a fox with it so far. The x193 55gr trashed him good. 1 less chicken killer here.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Our coyotes have learned to stay out of range until they hear the wife snoring, they don't have to be stealthy that way (I think they have a listening post set up). So I've decided to go a different route. I'm lookin for a vintage one owner howitzer for distance and trip wires and claymores around the chickin house itself. Yeah I know, I might lose a few grandkids when they go out to collect eggs and I might take out a neighbors house once in a while but the grandkids are startin to eat too much and the neighbors are just annoying but at lease the coyotes won't bother the chickins any more

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts

16 inch barrel
Midlength gas system
3x9 or a 4x12 scope

I've an LWRC mid length upper, Magpul matching front/rear MBUS, Eotech 512, 1:8 chrome lined heavy match barrel on top of my Sendra Arms lower with a RRA FCG and Bradley firing port stock... an assortment of add on's of my choice for it too. NO complaints.:thumb::cool:

Attachments

·
Currently surviving SHTF
2,485 Posts
Dammit... just made another mid length...
Palmetto had the kit on sale for $449
The anderson lower was $34.95 from primary (bought my limit of 2)
20160517_164159.jpg

Had to try a melonite barrel...

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts

Al
GOOD SHOT!!:thumb::cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts