Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have one on order, does anyone have extensive experience with FACTORY made AR's with Midlength uppers? Anything special or notable with them?

Thank you in advance for helpful information.

·
Banned
348 Posts
All but one of my uppers are 18" Midlength's. I prefer em to carbine's as the 2" goes almost un-noticed. But you get more velocity, a longer sight radius, and the midlength gas systems are a little softer.

Since you said "FACTORY" I'm gonna assume you bought a CMMG upper. They put out a pretty good product, and you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Midlengths are ideal for 16-18" bbl rifles.
Carbine length gas systems are designed for the 14" barrel.

You can tell it when shooting as well, as windnerkj mentioned, the middy shoots smoother and will be a little more reliable. There is also lower gas port pressure and the timing of extraction due to the longer travel of the gas in the tube is correct.

Other advantages of middys is you have more area for your hand and an extended sight radius.

the reason carbine length systems are popular because civilians wanted an M4 clone, but were required to have 16" bbls or have to file for a SBR

Youve made the right choice. The middy has many advantages in a 16" and no disadvantages other than possibly a few ounces of weight.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Mine didn't come in one piece from the factory... I got the barrel, upper, and BCG from BCM, then dropped in a carbine spring and carbine buffer, which everybody says will be smooth, but it wasn't, shot much rougher than expected. I has a spikes T2 buffer on order, hopefully that will calm it down.

·
Banned
348 Posts
the spikes heavy buffer goes in all my rifles with carbine stocks. it does smooth it out a bit.

That being said, the recoil impluse is diffrent on a midlength vs carbine. not quite the transition of rifle to carbine, but you get the idea. If you wanted to smooth it out a little more corndoggy, you could always use a heavier bolt carrier group. I usually use a young mfg national match m-16 carrier in all of my ar's. The extra mass of the carrier slows the cycle a little bit, and gives extra inertia to slam that bolt home.

·
Registered
258 Posts
the spikes heavy buffer goes in all my rifles with carbine stocks. it does smooth it out a bit.

That being said, the recoil impluse is diffrent on a midlength vs carbine. not quite the transition of rifle to carbine, but you get the idea. If you wanted to smooth it out a little more corndoggy, you could always use a heavier bolt carrier group. I usually use a young mfg national match m-16 carrier in all of my ar's. The extra mass of the carrier slows the cycle a little bit, and gives extra inertia to slam that bolt home.
+1 to all of that...

I'll add that I have 3 midlengths, one has an STT2 buffer, one has a carbine buffer and one has an H3 buffer. All have M16 BCG's except the one with the H3 buffer it's an LMT semi auto BCG. They all run great on any ammo, 2 are BCM guns and one is a Denny's Guns/ Global Tactical Operator barrel with a Colt upper and Youngs chrome M16 BCG.

- Clint

·
Banned
348 Posts
Not especially, I'd take a seriously hard look at the national match by young mfg. Bfn is a very very good STD carrier. That said, with a bcm or rainier arms carrier, I'd probally add a tungsten weight to it.

·
DEFCON 4
6,583 Posts
i run a midi! i find the timing is better that carbines and it just fits better. i am a good size guy, so it just fits....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts