Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right spot however you guys probably know the answer.

I want to setup a vest that can hold,

1) Glock 20sfc in a left hand configuration
2) At least 2 additional magazines
3) Taser C2 with 1-2 additional cartridges
4) 10 or so long tie straps or 1-2 handcuffs
5) Medium sized flashlight (Surefire E2DL)
6) Spot to put a medium sized folding knife

Nice to haves,

6) Room to put 1-2 grenade pouches to hold M1 Carbine Mags or room for 1-2 AR15 style mags or room for 12 gauge panels
7) Room for growth later on to use as a possible field (GHB/BOB) item

I would prefer a full sized vest that covers the upper chest/torso completely. Khaki/Browns are best. I am 6' and approx. 190-200 most of the year :)

Fit wise I am a mover (ex-runner) so something that can stay put would be best however the plan is to have it next to the bed and quickly put on if needed. Having more buckles/straps if you have time would be fine but it needs to be easily put on without them.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,572 Posts
I originally went with the bedside vest route, myself. But I ended up switching to a duty belt instead. It's far faster to put on than a vest. It holds my pistol, mags, pepper spray for times when lethal defense isn't needed, flashlight, cell phone, etc. I've had to grab it a few times for those "bump in the middle of the night" type moments, and it's much easier to deal with than the vest I had previously used. Just a thought.

I still have a vest, with rifle mags, shotgun shells, radio and such. But it's for a completely different purpose. It was just too much hassle to try to get into quickly when you're startled awake and groggy.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought about a belt as well, possibly one of the Ligers (or similar). I like the idea of a vest since I don't usually sleep with a shirt on and I was thinking that covering up would be good in a conflict and it would be better for movement.

Could be wrong though.

·
OEF 3/4 Vet
55 Posts
Agreed.

I'd just go with a duty belt or a vest from Blackhawk.
Having used Tactical Tailor products/blackhawk and london bridge trading company products in afghanistan .. I can not only vouch for the double/triple and quadriple stitching of these products, zippers that last for hundreds if not a few thousand cycles...or the apx 1000 denier dupont cordura that these companies use... buy quality ... when purchasing a plate carrier expect to spend 100-150 bare + more for magazine,flashlight, grenade holsters. for an assault pack expect to spend close to 175-220.

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
433 Posts
Not sure if this is the right spot however you guys probably know the answer.

I want to setup a vest that can hold,

1) Glock 20sfc in a left hand configuration
2) At least 2 additional magazines
3) Taser C2 with 1-2 additional cartridges
4) 10 or so long tie straps or 1-2 handcuffs
5) Medium sized flashlight (Surefire E2DL)
6) Spot to put a medium sized folding knife

Nice to haves,

6) Room to put 1-2 grenade pouches to hold M1 Carbine Mags or room for 1-2 AR15 style mags or room for 12 gauge panels
7) Room for growth later on to use as a possible field (GHB/BOB) item

I would prefer a full sized vest that covers the upper chest/torso completely. Khaki/Browns are best. I am 6' and approx. 190-200 most of the year :)

Fit wise I am a mover (ex-runner) so something that can stay put would be best however the plan is to have it next to the bed and quickly put on if needed. Having more buckles/straps if you have time would be fine but it needs to be easily put on without them.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
check with Victor23 he sells MOLLE and Alice equipment that is very modifiable. I have the full rifleman rig and it would work wonders to fit your needs.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I have new (extra) set of Class IIA Point Blank body Armor FS in 48 w/2 chest rigs (1 standard & 1 MOLLE)

PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I understand your objective but I think it can be met without a vest.

A design has been going through my mind of a shield - much unfortunately like Captain America's in size and how you would hold it.

Consider one that can have a nice design (sports logo e.g.) and hung on your bedroom wall. Having it made with light, honeycombed graphite, covered in Kevlar.

The carry hand would have a switch available which could activate a bright LED light on front if desired and of course the back would have a holster for your pistol.

Everything in easy reach, quick to pick up, and versatile.

Seems easier to me than strapping on a vest in the middle of the night.

Shields have been around for thousands of years, riot police still use them, and I see no reason why they couldn't be upgraded.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I too went with the duty belt. Plenty room for two hand cuffs, O/C, pistol, cell phone pouch, two mags for pistol and rifle, flashlight, fixed blade knife, expanding baton and a BOK. This along with my FLC which is set up for long duration fighting/ patrols is as close to perfect as it gets IMO.

Its much MUCH quicker to get on and off than any vest i have seen, its not something that will have the police questioning your motives and its not nearly as cumbersom.

I went with the padded belt from 5.11, I know guys that use this setup as their current belt at work and swear buy it. I wish i had one back when i worked at the prison...

The only downside is that it is too thick to attach some holster it is 3.5" in width so if your hoslter can adjust to that then your GTG. I simply use their modular mount system to overcome the issue.

modular mount:

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
You may not have time to respond to a threat if you mess around trying to put on all sorts of gear. I do "a grab and go" because I know that some intruders will try to rush into a house to overwhelm you before you can react. I want to meet their speed with my speed head on and with good overwhelming firepower. You pop off a couple of rounds into the first intruder and guess what? That forces them to stop and re-evaluate their situation. That is when you grab your belt or vest and put it on.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
What happened to grabbing your gun and flashlight and finding the baddy? now we are suiting up for war every time our dogs bark or some one knowcks on our doors at 3 A.M..

I am not trying to sound like a jerk, but all of this seems pointless to me....
But, but....

To answer the door at 1am, or see if your dog knocked over a vase...

You NEED 10 magazines, 3 frag grenades, 2 flashbangs, 3 flashlights, weapon mounted light, sidearm, backup sidearm, backup to your backup sidearm, eye-pro, ear-pro, tactical knife, backup tactical knife, Class CDXLVIII Body armour, sledgehammer, tactical chainsaw, and of course, Gen VIII NVGs

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I'm not really sure what the objective is here. Are you referring to home defense situation like (intruder/break in) or if all of a sudden a natural disaster happened or house next door explodes?

If its the first then a bedside pistol/shotgun should do you well enough to handle the situation. Most times just the sound of a shotgun being racked is enough for an intruder to **** his pants and flight rather than fight.

You don't need extra magazines. You should be able to hit what your trying to shoot with one mag. (10 rounds in CA right) if it boils down to shooting. If you cannot, then i suggest you train more at night with your home defense weapons. If anything the intruder is ****ing his pants and running anyway even if you miss. If it isn't a killing wound then check the hospital afterwords for a gunshot victim. (Cops will do this).

I am assuming you have something to protect at home (maybe a spouse or child) so once you have your intruder on floor or ground (front yard) yell for your significant other to bring you the zip ties/handcuffs. If not yell to the neighbor to call the police while you got this guy/s sprawled out on the ground. Your at home, its all right there for you to grab.

Why do you need the taser? If someone is coming at you in the home, two to the chest. Don't waist your time letting the aggressor close in close quarters with you while you fumble for your taser.

It sounds like to much gear, to little time to waist trying to put your **** on while your aggressor is penetrating your home. What happens when you wake up to the intruder breaking into your bedroom? You gunna have time to dawn your vest/belt, or even draw your pistol from it? If I was an intruder, there is no way i would give you that much time.

I'm sorry if you don't like my opinion, but opinions are like A**H**ES, everyone has one.

If its the second, that should already be part of your BO gear. That's if your not the type of person that cannot bug out in military gear because it makes you look like a target/threat.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What is this?

Are we playing Jack Bauer Dress Up games to check bumps in the night?

Here I was thinking I just needed a weapon and a source of light...
You must not play Call of Duty :rolleyes:

Then again if I intercept my daughter sleep walking in my skivvies and a tac-vest it might scare into staying in bed all night. :D:

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
You must not play Call of Duty :rolleyes:

Then again if I intercept my daughter sleep walking in my skivvies and a tac-vest it might scare into staying in bed all night. :D:
HMMMMMMM maybe i will get one of these after all.that way if i ever catch B/F sneakin in i will look like a complete nut job........right before i shoot him.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts