Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am posting this now so all can plan and hopefully we will get a good turn out.
Memorial Day weekend 2011 I am proposing a camping trip to Switzer lake in the George Washington Nat. Forest.Located about 10 miles from Va/WV border on Rt 33.I think this is a very central area for many and the 3 day weekend gives us plenty of travel time.
I would like to see everyone there and we can drift around and meet each other and maybe have a little swap meet for those inclined and that have extra stuff/lookin for stuff.
We will have to determine a way to ID ourselves such as maybe a certain color peice of cloth in a windshield or something.
Anyway I hope this is of interest to some(hopefully a lot) of you so think on it and either drop a note here or PM me.
All are welcome no matter where you live so long as you can make it.
This is free primitive camping though I wouldnt make a big show of weapons as there will be other(sheeples) in the area.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I honestly couldnt say for sure but this lake is a little off the beaten path and I beleive it a "No Gas Motor" lake so it might not be too bad. Even if it gets busy during the day i would think not too many will hang out to camp as its primitive only and no facilities.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have plenty of ground clearance. I will send you a PM with my email address. This sounds like a lot of fun and great opportunity to share experiences and thoughts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was thinking of the far end(from the entrance)not sure what it would be called but its at the effluent therefore people with 4x4/ground clearence could cross if wanted and those without can get to it and be in the same general area

edit - ok after reveiwng a topo map I guess that area would be the influent not effluent sorry

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
more info

Dry River and Switzer Lake. Dry River, from which the district takes its name, is not really dry. During the doldrums of summer, though, it disappears from view beneath the rocky rubble of the bed. Sometimes only pools are left here and there to indicate the river is not dead but in hiding. Water flows beneath the porous surface, connecting the pools.

Dry River runs southeastward through the heart of the Dry River District along US 33. In a 14-mile stretch of river above Rawley Springs, on the eastern edge of the district, the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries stocks trout in spring when water levels are high enough. Game department signs along the road lead anglers to the stocked section. The river drainage is on the eastern slope of Shenandoah Mountain. A dam on the Skidmore Fork of the river, high in the Shenandoah Mountains near the West Virginia line, forms deep Switzer Lake. (Don't be confused by another stream called Skidmore Fork in the North River drainage to the south.)

Switzer Lake's water is clear and cold enough year-round to support what is called a "put-and-grow" population of brook trout. The game department stocks fingerling brookies which grow to catchable size in a few years. Tiger and brown trout have also been stocked in the past. Anglers who don't mind the lack of facilities have caught brook trout up to 3 pounds and tigers and brown trout up to 4 pounds.

The lake also supports warm-water species such as nice-sized largemouth bass and crappie. When the bass and crappie aren't biting, there are small but abundant bluegill and pumpkinseed and hybrid sunfish, rock bass, and bullhead catfish.

Access is by trails along the west bank and by a primitive boat launch (no gasoline motors—this lake provides Harrisonburg's drinking water). Also, a road leads to the upper end of the lake. Early in the morning or at dusk, a quiet wildlife watcher can sometimes see deer, gray foxes, raccoons, and other animals come to water's edge to drink. Belted kingfishers (Ceryle alycon) plunge headlong into the lake for salamanders or minnows that rise to the surface. The lake is accessible by FR 227 off US 33 west of Harrisonburg, near the West Virginia state line.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK time to bring this back into the limelight.
2 more weeks till memorial weekend so lets renew
How many on here will be attending
I ask again cause some of you that wanted to may have had changes that will make you unable to attend and so anyone new will be aware

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.