Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Got Preps?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to buy a few acres in Michigan's upper peninsula for a BOL. We got to talking though, what do you think would happen if something like an EMP hit? Do you think the Mackinaw Bridge would be closed? I don't know if it would just remain open or if the bridge patrol would block it off. It's too far of a drive to go around through Ill, WI, then through the U.P.

I'm just curious of opinions from others who are familiar with the bridge and/or the area.

·
5.56 Addict
215 Posts
Being a "troll" (someone that lives under the bridge) in MI, I would not want to travel that far if the SHTF. I figure they'll block the bridge on both ends eventually anyway. For one, it will start to rust in a few years w/o upkeep and fresh paint. Two, I think the crazy UPers (pronounced Yoopers) would want to keep people from fleeing into the U.P.

Jane, I'd look into land in northern LOWER MI. I've heard it's cheap in places and there are large area's that are still relatively untouched. I'm the the Grand Rapids area and will be bugg'n out to the Whitecloud area, if SHTF. My uncle has property up there and said I'm welcome anytime. I don't think he meant "that" kind of anytime, but hopefully we'll never have to test it.

·
PaPaKAPture
248 Posts
Much of the the UP would be a great BOL.

Ur right about the Big Mack being closed, it wouldn't surprise me. It is often closed due to high winds. A boat is always an option. I wouldn't try my luck crossing the ice in the winter time tho.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I used to live there and go back regularly. Great hunting/fishing.

The UP is a great location but only if you leave early. Western UP has easy access thru Wisconsin. Best bet is Eastern/Central UP or the Keweenaw Peninsula. Be prepared for a longer, colder winter with more snow and a shorter growing season. That's why not a lot of agriculture up there.

There are times of year when the lake is frozen solid enough to drive all the way from Chicago to to Canada but don't think it will still be crossable. (Smuggled a lot of booze across from Canada to MI during prohibition that way.) They keep a channel open for traffic with ice breakers. Yeah, the ice refreezes but they just send the ice breakers thru again as soon as it is too thick for cargo vessels. You'd have to time it perfectly, travel fast and light by snowmobile. Part of the year it is only partially frozen. At that time you can't cross the straits by boat OR by vehicle. Ground effects vehicle would do the job but not many people have them.

The bridge isn't going to fail just because it isn't kept up for a couple years. May not be closed but it could be open to local traffic only. You might have to have a DL with an address on the other side or be on official business to cross. Most likely, since it is only two lanes, the sheer volume of traffic attempting escape to the north would close it and nearby I-75 off as effectively as if it had been shut down.

A light plane would be the best bug out option. Fly low altitude under VFR over the lake and there should be no problems.

There are a few islands in the Lakes that would make incredible BOLs. (When I lived there I almost bought land on Drummond Island). Real isolation and low density, insular and self reliant population. However they have many of the same access problems as crossing to the UP does.

Lots of good BOL in the LP from Clare/Gladwin north. Unemployment and the death of the family farm make land cheap. Detroit has gone from 5th largest city in the US to less than a million people and the rest of the state has felt the pinch as well. Getting property with river or lake access will still cost a lot but there is empty farm land all around.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Actually the northern Keweenaw is an island (now called Copper island) since they dug a canal across it to make the Keweenaw Waterway. The only way across by land vehicle is the Houghton-Hancock Bridge. That's another chokepoint, which can be good or bad for you depending on the situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
The UP is going to be overrun by those in Wisconsin and lower Michigan. Being remote isn't going to work well unless you have enough bodies for sentries and 24x7 defense.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am currently in Midland but I grew up in the Thumb Area. I used to think that I would go there in a SHTF scenario. I have been exploring the U.P. for many yeaars with my sons looking for any off the beaten path interesting places to visit. It is a yearly trip for just us "men". I have come to the conclusion that unless you already live up there it would be real difficult survive long term.

There isn't really that much wild game like the Lower has, the winters are pretty tough also. I-75 leads right to it too.The Northern Lower seems like a better choice to me.

Even if you had property in the U.P. could you get there frequently to set up preparations? I wish I could live up there, the less people the better I always say.

As for myself I will head back to the Thumb. My family has discussed the possibility that we may have to rely on each other to survive. Lots of farmland lots of wild game and off the beaten path. I hope.

·
PaPaKAPture
248 Posts
Actually the northern Keweenaw is an island (now called Copper island) since they dug a canal across it to make the Keweenaw Waterway. The only way across by land vehicle is the Houghton-Hancock Bridge. That's another chokepoint, which can be good or bad for you depending on the situation.
Nah, I've crossed it on snowmobile. Not much of a concern there, it tends to freeze up pretty good.

·
Got Preps?
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've lived in Michigan's lower peninsula my whole life, I LOVE the U.P. My concern wasn't so much that the bridge might close in a couple of years because of neglect. If there's a reason to Bug Out, we'd be there within 24 hours depending on reason we are bugging out. I was more curious as to if you guys thought the bridge may be closed.

Just a little side note Note: The Mackinaw Bridge has 4 lanes.
I've made more than my fair share of trips over it to know that. :D:

I think I'll continue to look for a parcel of land in the Northern lower MI, just to be safe. I'd hate to buy some land and not be able to bug-out to it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Also a troll! Lotta area in a triangle from Alpena/cheboygan/rogers city-ish. I do have access to land there. A bit of a drive. I'm concerned though that the Baldwin/manistee areas which would be reasonably driveable would be over-run. A lot of folks consider that "up north" -- maybe an hour and half out of GR -- easily accessible on a tank of gas for pretty much anyone.

·
PaPaKAPture
248 Posts
I've lived in Michigan's lower peninsula my whole life, I LOVE the U.P. My concern wasn't so much that the bridge might close in a couple of years because of neglect. If there's a reason to Bug Out, we'd be there within 24 hours depending on reason we are bugging out. I was more curious as to if you guys thought the bridge may be closed.

Just a little side note Note: The Mackinaw Bridge has 4 lanes.
I've made more than my fair share of trips over it to know that. :D:

I think I'll continue to look for a parcel of land in the Northern lower MI, just to be safe. I'd hate to buy some land and not be able to bug-out to it.
I say yes it would be closed. It wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
798 Posts
As previously stated - The UP is full of Gun loving, beer loving woodsman that probably will be hostle towards anyone coming in. They hate people from Illinois (FIBS = F*cking Illinois Bastards) and I dont see them giving anyone a warm welcome. Then the bottleneck into a bridge is another problem. Lake to the north, east and northwest. Seems like you would be backing yourself into a corner if you had to leave for any reason.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Then the bottleneck into a bridge is another problem. Lake to the north, east and northwest. Seems like you would be backing yourself into a corner if you had to leave for any reason.
I fear that is the problem with the entire state of Michigan...

We are in the SE of the state. Can't go east because it's Canada (doubt they'll be keeping the border open to refuges in a big crisis.) Can't go south because it's Detroit (need I say more?) I have a feeling that everyone in MI who flees will just naturally go north, then get blocked by the lakes. This is a problem, especially when you consider the heavier population density of the south of the state. All those people have to go somewhere.

Sure, urban areas will probably see violence increase when people get desperate, but it's unreasonable to assume that every low-life and hood-rat will be wiped out. Those are the people who are going to head into "the country", them and yuppie suburbanites. All those "cityfolk" who believe there are plentiful farms and orchards and twinkie trees as far as the eye can see, because they actually have no freakin clue about where their food comes from.

These are the people, that when they find you (and someone eventually will) they will beg you, pester you, spread the word that you are there and you have food, come back with buddies, raid you...

possibly.... anything is possible.

The north of Michigan is a beautiful place, but what happens if everyone heads up there?

I feel really trapped here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As previously stated - The UP is full of Gun loving, beer loving woodsman that probably will be hostle towards anyone coming in. They hate people from Illinois (FIBS = F*cking Illinois Bastards) and I dont see them giving anyone a warm welcome. Then the bottleneck into a bridge is another problem. Lake to the north, east and northwest. Seems like you would be backing yourself into a corner if you had to leave for any reason.
Haha, have to laugh at the FIBS. I just joined after finding and reading the forum a few weeks ago. I'm from the UP side of the bridge.
If other yoopers don't let you guys in, I'll keep the door open for ya, especially the preppers.

·
Banned
165 Posts
As for myself I will head back to the Thumb. My family has discussed the possibility that we may have to rely on each other to survive. Lots of farmland lots of wild game and off the beaten path. I hope.
Sorry for going off topic here.

i-r, The Thumb is a very good area because a lot of people really never think about it that much.

Lot's of good farm land, game is decent(but in SHTF will disappear quickly, ask me why;)), good for wind power and solar, but things have change probably since you grew up there.

1. Towns are dying as almost everything not dealing with farming is going. Deckerville is a good example. There were several factories there employing a lot of people. Now, there are just two left. Houses are for sale everywhere and at decent prices, but not farms.

2. I don't know why, but I have watched in horror as people have removed their chimneys. I would guess that less than 3% of homes even have the ability to use wood to heat their homes.

3. People are leaving the area in droves and the response of the county and townships?

Raise taxes. Gotta keep everything running at full steam.:rolleyes:

Cops are also getting a bit of a pain, mostly looking for a reason to give you a ticket.

Still a very good place, that's where my retreat is. Crime is still pretty low, most comes from bored kids and crooks from Port Huron. If I could find any job that paid $9 a hr, I would be there full time!

Good luck!:thumb:

Oh, and don't forgot to find out where Country View is! Hint> West of Sanilac.:D:

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
We are in West Michigan(lower half) . There is still land here but its not cheap. Upper pen land is not expensive by the acre for logged off forestry land. And heck if the Feds have any sense they will sell off some of that federal land up there. You might get some . Kingfish

·
Tactical Tinkerer
388 Posts
We are in the nw lower already. We own 40 a that adjoins state land on 3 sides. Thousands of acres. Our "compound" as our kids call it ,is .3 mile off the road,wihch is only a rural road anyway.We have horses/mules for BO if needed, and they have all been trained to drive and allow riders to shoot off thier backs I have 3 gensets,one of which is dedicated to the well,and 2 500gal propane pigs,one with diesel and one with gas. Two more 500 gal pigs full of propane.A diesel tractor with back hoe should be helpfull too. I have many piles of BIG stumps close by from when we cleared the land we garden and live on.These would be relocated to form a perimiter barrier if needed.The ammo supply is currently at about 5k rnds,but growing monthly.We are a little weak in the food dept though,need to put some effort into that as when we built the house (ourselves,not a contracter) its double framed walls,8.5" thich and a 1/2 basement that stays cool and dry,so the storage of food stuffs would be relitively easy.4 -275 gal water tanks ,2 buried,2 AG would br filled from the well(240' deep) so running the gen set would be sporadic. I have 2 propane refridgerators,no gen set needed and totally quiet. I think we are in decent shape.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts