Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a house a couple of years ago. Home ownership rocks but its filled with perils. Mine are mice in the attic. I had one die in a wall when I first got the house and the sucker stunk for months. So I've been trying to kill them with old fashion mouse traps and no luck. Ill get one, but its buddies will just eat him and I am stuck with the mess. Im worried that I cant find how they are getting in and I know that they can carry all sorts of disease and chew up just about anything including the wiring. So my question is this: Is there a better way to scare them away with scent or noise? Are there better traps than the old school ones? Any other ideas?

Your help is appreciated!

V

·
I have control issues
6,179 Posts
I had a mouse problem in my old house...every fall, when the weather started turning colder, the field mice would try to invade. Normally, my cats would take care of them, but one year two of my kids had taked all of my cats out of state (or the country) with them, and I was overrun (I trapped 36 mice in one week!). If I hadn't gotten 2 of my cats back, I was SERIOUSLY considering getting a SNAKE and turning it loose in the area that I knew the mice were (a suspended ceiling in my basement).

For methods that are strictly deterrence, There is a product called "Shake-Away" that is basically dehydrated predator (fox, bobcat, and/or coyote) urine. You sprinkle it around the area to create a perimeter that the mice usually will not cross. Another thing that can act as a deterrent is peppermint. Either the fresh leaves strewn around, or a few cotton balls soaked with the essential oil. You can also try planting peppermint around the house, especially around the areas where they are entering.

Hope this helps.

·
Indefatigable
20,809 Posts
My Boston Terrier takes care of our mice.

Reactions: East Coast Woods

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
I like live traps so I can make sure I get the bodies removed. Poison tends to leave corpses in the worst places. Traps I seem to forget about until there's a smell... Sometimes, the larger rodents get maimed by the trap and limp off to die. Usually in the wall right above the headboard of my bed.

Live traps work well, and you can add some chain or a couple bells to them or something if you have a lot of them and are forgetful. When the mouse (rat, squirrel) gets caught, they will make noise and let you know it's removal time. Get one large enough for squirrels and rats. It will still catch mice well enough, but just in case you have a larger rodent...

To kill them easily and without mess or fuss, just drop the trap into a garbage can of water, or a creek or something and come back in 10 minutes.

The best bait for rodents is peanut butter. I make a nice little peanut butter sandwich with whole wheat bread for them. They can't resist, and it's a decent last meal for the little barstewards.

Az

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Peanut butter in a live or spring trap works great for the mice. However the chipmunks have found my attic to thier liking and they won't go for the PB....any ideas?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I will try the PB and the shake away stuff.

Ill skip the poison because the dead bodies STINK!

V

·
Registered
869 Posts
Peanut butter in a live or spring trap works great for the mice. However the chipmunks have found my attic to thier liking and they won't go for the PB....any ideas?
Yes. Bigger traps.
They're sold as "rat traps" or even "varmint traps".

To the OP - best thing you could get would be a CAT. Even cleans up the bodies for you.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Try building a "better mousetrap." You can make one for under $10 and it can take out DOZENS of mice with little to no effort on your part

The most common versions:

You will need:
- 5 gallon bucket
- stick
- 2 paper rolls for double action
- cardboard
- honey, chocolate or peanut butter to smear on the roll
- (optional) windshield washing fluid, water or something else that will drown/poison them instantly when they fall into the bucket. I recommend water as the other chemicals are not good to dump and their smell won't overpower your bait.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had mice problems a couple of times after we moved into our home. I eventually discovered that if I kept a good amount of poison in my garage and outbuildings that I never got a problem in the house. Evidently as the weather got colder they would move into the buildings and then move into the house latter on when food got scarce outside. I haven't seen a mouse in or near my house in years.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I get them in my attic every fall. We just put traps out and it seems to keep them under control. I am fairly cartain where they are entering so we set several traps there. I have wondered if a fake owl or snake near where they are coming in would help. I could put the snake in the atic and the own outside in view of the little sucker's entrance.

·
Registered
324 Posts
D-Con makes a trap that has the poison on the inside and it closes the entire mouse body inside of it. I use them in my barns so other critters don't get sick from eating a poisoned mouse. They work great and have no mess since they are contained inside of the trap, which also means the other mice aren't getting a free meal off your kill.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had great success with the sticky trays, the mice get stuck and can't get out so they can't run off to die and if another mouse tries to cannabalize they get stuck too, then just toss 'em away. Cat's work real well too, but don't let them get into the sticky traps, because that stuff is hell to try and get off.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Hotdog, my poor Cat got stuck on one of those once. The only drawback is that if you are infested with mice that could be expensive. I like the bucket idea, cheapest mouse trap I have seen.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Yes. Bigger traps.
They're sold as "rat traps" or even "varmint traps".

To the OP - best thing you could get would be a CAT. Even cleans up the bodies for you.
Have several rat traps set, they are too smart to go after the bait though.

Maybe I could lock my cat up there for a few days???:)

·
Plays best, alone
4,960 Posts
Go to your local store's hunting department. Get a bottle of fox urine, place a few drops on cotton balls and place where needed. Plan B; borrow a friends cat.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Our cat brings me a mouse once in a while and leaves it at my feet, uneaten but dead. Anyone know why that is?

BTW, since getting a cat, I haven't seen a mouse except every once in a while at my feet, LOL. We leave the drop-down attic ladder down once in a while so the cat can poke around up there. The cat loves to hunt.

·
Catch Me If You Can...
829 Posts
I have a cat that brings me her sacrifices too... mice, lizards, birds. She almost looks like she's strutting carry the damn things too.

She never eats them. Just brings them to me to show them off.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts