Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Currently Learning...
80 Posts
aluminum would be one of the lightest but from what i've heard they aren't good to consistently eat out of (causes sickness or cancer i forget which) stainless steel or titanium were recommended in another post.

what all are you looking for in the mess kit? often a pan and a cup are the only necessities

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
aluminum would be one of the lightest but from what i've heard they aren't good to consistently eat out of (causes sickness or cancer i forget which) stainless steel or titanium were recommended in another post.

what all are you looking for in the mess kit? often a pan and a cup are the only necessities
Aluminium if constantly injested can cause Alzheimer's disease. (if you believethe statistics)
So in everyday se i wouldn't recommend having aluminium pans but for camping ect i wouldn't worry about it.

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts

Aluminum would probably be okay if it was powdered coated.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I sencond the Guyot Designs "Squishy Bowls and Cup". Pretty simple and user friendly. However not good for the cooking part:xeye: I

I also understand the concerns with Aluminum, but if one wanted a small portable kit, Tinny @ minibulldesigns has a nice Ziploc kit. I am making a few of them currently. For what its worth.

·
Be Prepared
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need them for my BOB, I have a miniature fuel stove and possibly over the fire cooking as well... I guess just a bowl and cup, I have the fork/spork combo utensil already... I remember as a boy scout, I took one of those cheap aluminum one's and it melted on some coals!!

·
Passed away March 22, 2011
1,298 Posts
All the mess gear I use at various times are stainless steel, a canteen cup, a KFS set and mess tins except for the genuine Swedish army folding cup as well as a copy of a Swedish army plastic mess kit with various bowls, a chopping board, condiment/spice container in it.

For my BOB I have a canteen cup stored under a water bottle, another plastic folding cup as well as a FRED and a KFS set.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
All the mess gear I use at various times are stainless steel, a canteen cup, a KFS set and mess tins except for the genuine Swedish army folding cup as well as a copy of a Swedish army plastic mess kit with various bowls, a chopping board, condiment/spice container in it.

For my BOB I have a canteen cup stored under a water bottle, another plastic folding cup as well as a FRED and a KFS set.
Do you mean like this one?
http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme gear/stoves & cook gear main main/proforce_camp_a_box.htm

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I pack very light for 2-4 day treks and the Squishy Bowl, Lightmyfire Spork, and 24oz. Heineken can on wire have always done the trick. Love the Squishy Bowl, it's very easy to clean 'cause you can turn it inside out.

I know a couple people already mentioned the Squishy Bowl, but I wanted to throw in my agreement and mention the ease of cleaning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts