Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Good Bye
1,807 Posts
I have a small bugaboo set from GSI. I got it from REI, and it has a pot, a pan, and a cup. it is thin, light, and works very well with my pop can alcohol stoves.

· Backpacker I Adventurer
1,030 Posts
Wish I could tell you the set I have. Found it for 5 dollars on a shelf in a broken up box. People at the store have no idea how they got it, as it isn't something they sell. Anyhow, thats not much help.

A metal cup, with a spork is about all you really need. If you're an ultralight packer.

· Free Born
2,445 Posts
get a jetboil

+1

I love mine and it boiled water so fast I didn't have time to open my mountain house chicken and rice fast enough to pour it in! It's super light weight and reliable.

And not to sound like a jerk but when I'm curious about what something is I open a new tab and use google:eek:: Works almost every time:D:

· Wherever I may Roam
338 Posts
wow

Wish I could tell you the set I have. Found it for 5 dollars on a shelf in a broken up box. People at the store have no idea how they got it, as it isn't something they sell. Anyhow, thats not much help.

A metal cup, with a spork is about all you really need. If you're an ultralight packer.
The store made a 100% profit on that one! Like that Lanny guy who bought 2 cake pans for a dollar fifty each at the dollar store!

· Registered
193 Posts
My BOB is designed to get me by a couple of days, I have a couple of days of freeze dried food and energy bars My primary need is to boil water. So I'm keeping it light and cheap. My kitchen consists of a small 2 cup pot and a rigid plastic food storage containing the following:

A small bottle of alcohol
A supercat stove- (alcohol stove made from a cat food can)
A windscreen for my stove made of aluminum flashing
A lexan spork (in the camping section at china mart)
a mini-bic lighter
salt & pepper packets
tea packets
freeze dried coffee
sugar packets
A small dishcloth

total investment-15 bucks or so. You could eat directly out of the pot or out of the bag the freeze dried food comes in.

You might want to try googling or searching on youtube "freezer bag cooking" for some meal ideas.

· Registered
23 Posts
personally i would get a Swedish army trangia. It comes with a burner, fuel bottle, mess tin(used for a frying pan and lid) and larger mess tin (for storing fuel bottle, burner and other things) which all gets put in the wind protector for it. i bought mine for £5 issued so a bit more for an unissued one.

In the picture there is a complete put away trangia on the left and another not put away on the right.

Attachments

· 25 Or 6 to 4
8,004 Posts

· Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
I've got two USGI Canteen cups that ride with my canteens in their pouches, a GI mess kit that folds into itself that has a frying pan and serving dish, and inside the mess kit i store a multi-utensil tool and a can opener. (p38 can opener? Whatever the hell it's called heh.)

· Wanderer
3,267 Posts
I'd suggest you get stainless steel instead of aluminum. Titanium is really light, but expensive. I have a titanium spork that is really cool. The Boy Scout type individual mess kits and a couple of medium binder clips can be used as a good dutch oven if you're careful. Remember all mess kits are pretty thin stock and will get hot and burn food quickly. That's from much BSA Scoutmaster experience. You can't beat Army surplus stuff, all stainless steel, and two can be used together to make a dutch oven, too. A US GI canteen, cup and heater all nest together and make a great setup with the mess kit. FallApart and KameApart are fine, as well as Sportsman's Warehouse, REI, Campmor and many other sporting goods and mountaineering outlets. All have pretty much the same stuff, at varying prices, shop for sales and clearances at end of the season.
That's as far as mess kits go. Stoves are a whole 'nother deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.