Survivalist Forum banner

Merry Christmas

697 23
So as we know there is a big fuel crisis and im determined to cook xmas dinner at home without any electric what so ever. No ive no problem creating a large enough open flame using solid fuel tablets but my question is this. Would it be safe to use my now redundant electric oven (switched off at the mains and on the circuit board) to put the open flame inside at the base, oven tray above that - thus creating a make-shift oven? I hope so because right now im experimenting with a candle lol. Hopefully i wont be blown to bits.馃槻
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
I dunno, I just know I'm dreading Xmas this year. Wife and I are separated, have been since 2017, and don't live together. We just haven't gotten around to doing the divorce. But every Xmas since we split up, I've stayed with my kids at their house on Xmas Eve to do the Santa thing. This will be the first year I won't be doing that and it's sort of trivial I guess, but I don't know how to process it.

Registered
I'm first thinking highly inefficient.
Second dangerous and destructive.
Just don't.

Third, not knowing what fuel source is the most practical over there, I would highly recommend one of a couple of options.

It connects to LP gas.

Or

It sits on or above a heat source.

The heat tabs are great for a cup of tea, some Ramen or soup. But a meal?

One might get away with one of the butane gas rings/stoves, depending on the meal, even inside (not recommended), but we aren't talking about the usual Christmas dinner either with any of the makeshift options.

Check out Townsends on YT for old time recipes and cooking methods/styles for some ideas.

The combustion of many chemicals that are safe to use outdoors, aren't necessarily safe for indoor use. If you do choose to use such indoors, assure proper ventilation to reduce the probability of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. If you notice any shortness of breath, eye watering, skin reactions, etc., discontinue such immediately.

That stated, I would also be concerned with polluting my interior environment with a potentially terrible odor that might find difficult to remove from furniture and walls.

Secondly, utilizing an appliance in a manner not specifically designed, may have other unintended consequences, particularly if you would choose to operate such as an electric oven again.

Premium Member
So as we know there is a big fuel crisis and im determined to cook xmas dinner at home without any electric what so ever. No ive no problem creating a large enough open flame using solid fuel tablets but my question is this. Would it be safe to use my now redundant electric oven (switched off at the mains and on the circuit board) to put the open flame inside at the base, oven tray above that - thus creating a make-shift oven? I hope so because right now im experimenting with a candle lol. Hopefully i wont be lown to bits.馃槻
Check these out.
In their solid form they are non-toxic, though when burning they give off noxious fumes so should only be used in an area which is very well ventilated.
- https://solidfuelheating.co.uk/fueltablets.html

Preparing to safely cook indoors may be easier than you might think. There are a variety of great indoor cooking devices and fuels that you can safely use to cook indoors. The trick is to use a combination of the right device and the right fuel for indoor use.
-

Michigander
NO

Don't

Now, since I feel that you are going to anyway...
please take a bit of time NOW to write out a will,
and put it in a safe place that is not in the house or an envelope at a neighbor's. Hopefully it's only you at home and not family too.

Also, be sure that your insurance is up to date. Both personal and home, in case the house burns.

Capability, not scenarios
<snip>I would also be concerned with polluting my interior environment with a potentially terrible odor that might find difficult to remove from furniture and walls.

Secondly, utilizing an appliance in a manner not specifically designed, may have other unintended consequences, particularly if you would choose to operate such as an electric oven again.
As part of my preps, I bought some green coffee beans and wanted to learn how to roast them.

So I did. In the house.

I will never make that mistake again. It was 3 or 4 days before the smell finally faded.

I'd also wonder what those fumes might do to the food--would they impart an odor to it?

Reactions: Danny938 and Aceoky

Registered
I really don't know why you seem to be so interested in using "solid fuel tablets" for things they were never intended to be used for.
What they are good for is heating water for coffee or to add to a freeze-dried meal.
Outdoors.
Esbit's Safety Data Sheet states combustion can create formaldehyde, ammonia, nitrogen oxide, hydrogen cyanide and ingestion may cause nausea, vomiting, gastrointestinal disturbances, and kidney damage. When burned, the chemical oxidation of the fuel yields noxious fumes, which requires cooking foods in a container, such as a pot or pan, with a tight fitting lid.

Seems like a nice campfire would be a better alternative and more fun, or a camp stove if you can't build a fire.

Registered
I dunno, I just know I'm dreading Xmas this year. Wife and I are separated, have been since 2017, and don't live together. We just haven't gotten around to doing the divorce. But every Xmas since we split up, I've stayed with my kids at their house on Xmas Eve to do the Santa thing. This will be the first year I won't be doing that and it's sort of trivial I guess, but I don't know how to process it.
I remember my first Christmas without my kids. It sucked

Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
I don't see an issue as long as your old oven is outdoors. I'm assuming it's metal. Put a fire in the lowest section, put your food up high. Not too much different than a wood burning stove. No guarantee that your food will cook evenly. I certainly wouldn't try it indoors.

Twisted, sick, smart***, occasionally sarcastic...
I say what the he'll. Try it and report back to us your findings if possible. I'm always willing for someone else to explore the natural selection process.......

What... me worry??
1 - 20 of 24 Posts