Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I like them. They are some of the lowest volume boots that Merrell sells, and Merrells are typically high volume shoes, and they run about a half size small; so accommodate for that.

·
Observer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like them. They are some of the lowest volume boots that Merrell sells, and Merrells are typically high volume shoes, and they run about a half size small; so accommodate for that.
Thanks Cragar. Could you tell me if you had any issues with durability etc?

I have a pair of Merrell winter hiking boots that I love dearly. The boot has a rating of 5 stars on Zappos, and I can hook you up with a 20% off coupon for Zappos if you PM me your email address.

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-moab-mid-gore-tex-reg-xcr-reg-dark-earth

P.S. I took those pictures of this boot
Thanks Rights Of Man, but I have already purchased them and have read a few poor reviews so I was wondering whether to return them or not! However as mentioned above I have read some poor reviews about durability and waterproofing etc.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
No issues with durability at all. The Moab is a great summer boot in my opinion. As I said, it's one of the few Merrell boots that I can actually wear because I have a low volume foot. People that bought the Moabs would come back year after year and buy a new pair.

Keep in mind they are hard to waterproof because of the mesh fabric, unless of course you spend the money for the GoreTex model. The good thing is they dry really quickly because of the breath-ability of the boot.

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
I have noticed a movement in the military towards boots that are closer to running shoes than the Frankenstein clodhoppers of the past, but still high topped for ankle support.

May I suggest the highest topped variant of these for exactly the same reason: ankle support.

For survival purposes you want ankle support, shock absorption, and high quality which is hopefully an indication of long wear life.

My $0.02.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I've owned about 6 pair of Merrell hiking shoes and boots. I'll never buy another. They have gone wayyyy down hill in the last year or two. I was at a trendy shoe store and was talking to the chick working there and she said everyone knew it and attributed it to something going internal to the company. Like I said, I've bought my last pair of Merrell's.

·
Observer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have noticed a movement in the military towards boots that are closer to running shoes than the Frankenstein clodhoppers of the past, but still high topped for ankle support.

May I suggest the highest topped variant of these for exactly the same reason: ankle support.

For survival purposes you want ankle support, shock absorption, and high quality which is hopefully an indication of long wear life.

My $0.02.
How do these look for ankle support?

http://www.urbanlegendz.co.uk/shopimages/products/thumbnails/mer.jpg

·
Last of the First Line
868 Posts
I used to buy Merrells. Bought 4 pairs of the exact same shoe - can't remember which model, they discontinued it. Took them around the world with me. Wore them on hikes, for work, in the winter... Pretty much wore them all the time.

So when they discontinued whatever model it was, I bought a pair of Moab Ventilators. They were nearly as good as the old Merrells, nearly as indestructible - except the tread life. I'd say about 50% less.

I won't buy another pair of Merrells until I hear that they've solved this problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was also a big fan of Merrell. Like the previous post says, the durability and quality has really gone. I like Oboz. (Not a seller, just a user.) It's a new brand for me, so no experience with durability. The construction does seem more solid, but only time will tell.
DM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts