Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me find one.

I've been meaning to post this ever since I made gumbo for the neighbors.
Road is such that in bad weather you need a 4x4. (Would spill out a pot in short order)
When things are hot Tupperware Wont work....likewise most plastics.

The cans (what the military uses to get nasty ass T Rats out to the field and "keep them hot") are like $70.

I want something cheaper I can pour hot soup into and take to thd neighbors. (One had a knee replacement recently, I couldn't bring her Gumbo (people like my gumbo) and had to bring something else.

In a "austere situation" this simple need might make more impact than you think... so let's see what the collective can come up with.

I'd like (like the cans) to be able to bring a couple courses to a dozen people atleast. (Would help when I do potluck...)

Whatcha got?

·
Ephemerally here
6,875 Posts
Quartsize, Half-Gallon sample paint cans from home depot. Big cardboard box with crumpled paper to carry and keep warm four or more. We often use an insulated shopping Carry bag, the kind for transporting ice-cream/frozen foods in a car, to hold the cans.

Wash, Rinse, fill, empty, dishwasher, repeat.

If you or needy object to bare metal, use bake-in-bag/Sous Vide plastic bags as liners.

Disposable alternative? Restaurant supply - the fold-up "Chinese Take-Out " boxes work OK if food is not too runny.

·
Retired, Uncommon Drunk
1,394 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not sure of the situation ... if your looking to feed several dozen in one place (big pot luck or picnic) a 5 gal Coleman or Igloo water cooler will keep your gumbo hot for awhile (preheat with hot water for 30 min or so before filling). Maybe a couple food grade 5 gal buckets with lids filled then put in a box filled with cloth padding. For taking to a few friends in need I think Seawolf101 hit it on the money with the ziplock bag inside a cooler idea.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I've hit many, and thrift stores, and pawn shops, and suctions.

No luck as yet.
At first glance I thought that "suctions" was a typo. Then I remembered the last few I went to, and thought maybe not.

Last time I took food over to someone I put it in an Igloo cooler in jars packed with old newspaper.

Advantages; I was able to use the jar funnels I use in canning to fill the jars, old newspaper was free, and the cooler kept everything hot. The cooler had an easy carry handle, and everything fit into one cooler.

No jars broke, and nothing leaked. If it had leaked the cooler would have been easy to clean.

·
Living it :)
49 Posts
A Pressure Cooker should Solve All the Problems You Mention

:thumb:pressure Cooker - Has a Lockon Lid - You can Cook Your Gumbo in it and then Wrap it in a Blanket and take it wherever you need to - Won't leak or spill out - Charity & Opportunity Shops tend to sell them for $5 each in NZ - not sure what they'll be in the States , so I googled it for you and note they have some for $16 US , Good Luck , I find them really handy and can be used in a Solar Cooker or over a Camp fire too .

Amazon.com: Presto 01241 4-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker: Amazon Warehouse Deals

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Just throwing this out there..cooked all my life..did some catering.

Leave it in what you cooked it in-you can buy commercial plastic(saran) wrap at sams or whatever-12-18-24 inches wide..thousands of feet long.

Just wrap it 10/20 30 times and set the container in a old cardboard box.Maybe stuff a few towels around it-piece of cake-30$ bucks tops and probabley last you a year.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Just throwing this out there..cooked all my life..did some catering.

Leave it in what you cooked it in-you can buy commercial plastic(saran) wrap at sams or whatever-12-18-24 inches wide..thousands of feet long.

Just wrap it 10/20 30 times and set the container in a old cardboard box.Maybe stuff a few towels around it-piece of cake-30$ bucks tops and probabley last you a year.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.