Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Preparing for tomorrow
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an interesting article about the crisis in Japan. Most of us store numbers in our cell phones but no longer memorize them as we did in the "old days." How many people could you call if you lost your cell phone. How do you reconnect with family and friends?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/18/memorizing-cell-phone-numbers-save-times-crisis/?test=faces

Here is what they recommend:
1.Save all your contacts on your home computer, update them every few months, and print a hardcopy of your contacts to keep in your car in case of an emergency.

2. Write down the toll-free numbers for your banks and utility companies. In the event of a disaster, this will allow you to turn off your utilities, reprint credit cards, and temporarily change your address.

3. Designate a friend or family member who lives outside your area to be your family’s emergency contact. In emergency situations, long-distance calls have a better chance of getting through jammed phone lines because they only require one connection to get through, while local calls require two connections.

4. If you are in a disaster area, and aren’t able to get a hold of family or friends on your phone, change your voicemail to say the current time, your location, and that you are safe. This will allow anyone trying to reach you to know you’re alive and where rescuers can find you. (Before your battery runs out if you are trapped)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know by memory all the important numbers for family and close friends. Heck, I can dial the cell quicker than it takes me to scroll through the menus to get to their numbers in the phone's contact list.

Good idea on the hard copy though for banks and other business numbers. Did that a few years ago and update it regularly.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,637 Posts
I keep a list of numbers in my wallet. But oddly enough, I have a great memory for numbers. Just not for names, voices, faces, etc. I can remember every phone number I've ever had, as well as most numbers of my childhood friends and most every friend since. Odd, ain't it?

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I keep a list if numbers in my wallet. But oddly enough, I have a great memory for numbers. Just not for names, voices, faces, etc. I can remember every phone number I've ever had, as well as most numbers of my childhood friends and most every friend since. Odd, ain't it?
That's not too weird I still remember most of my old number,s the family numbers, haven't really been able to use a phone for 20 years. What's really weird is that my the number of my home phone here is the same as my old office number in Miami.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I keep a list if numbers in my wallet. But oddly enough, I have a great memory for numbers. Just not for names, voices, faces, etc. I can remember every phone number I've ever had, as well as most numbers of my childhood friends and most every friend since. Odd, ain't it?
I've got the same thing going on. I even remember locker combinations from childhood. I also notice license plates, lol.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,637 Posts
I've got the same thing going on. I even remember locker combinations from childhood. I also notice license plates, lol.
Yep, locker combinations too. Clear back to grade school. Yet I cannot for the life of me memorize my license plate. If it was pure numbers I probably could, but it has some letters in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts