Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Moving to a version of Xenforo with custom add-ons.
Oh goodness, I sure hope you rethink that. Several forums I use are on XenForo, and "upgraded" to the new version recently. The only good thing about it is Dark Mode; in every other respect it's a definite downgrade for users. Reduced functionality in several areas, more clicks to do common tasks, etc. In fact it seems designed to require more clicks to do stuff, presumably to increase ad revenue. Ironically, on one that was the busiest forum I use regularly, it's resulted in a very pronounced reduction in traffic because it's just that much more of a pain in the neck to use. I particularly hate that it doesn't allow the standard HTML cues for a visited link, and doesn't even allow the browser to show that a link is selected, both of which make it difficult to keep track of your place in a list of posts.

If you have to change platforms, surely there's a better choice? Keeping in mind that almost anything is better...

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,262 Posts
It's all about balance: the users have a free forum, and the site owners get to make money.

As survivalists, I feel pretty sure that most of us will survive this change. Chances are, it will be worth it, however difficult it may (or may not) be.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,556 Posts
Folks, this is a "Done Deal" it IS going to happen...TPTB are already working on this.

The best thing we can all do is be patient and make the best of it while "tweaks" are made as need be (if needed at all) get prepared for the change (as survivalist that shouldn't be a "biggie") make sure you know your UN & PWD etc. etc.

·
Super Moderator
65,881 Posts
I dislike change more than most anyone I've ever met. Hell, I just got my first smart phone a few months ago and wouldn't have even done that if I hadn't needed it for internet.

But adapting is what survivalists do best. We can cry about "but this is supposed to be over here, not over there," which achieves nothing. Or we can simply learn that it's over there now and adapt.

Sure the site will be different. Maybe laid out differently. I'm sure it will function different too. But that's all minor stuff to adapt to. What it will be is faster, more stable, more functional, and most importantly, more secure. It might even have more features. Things that we want.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I dislike change more than most anyone I've ever met. Hell, I just got my first smart phone a few months ago and wouldn't have even done that if I hadn't needed it for internet.

But adapting is what survivalists do best. We can cry about "but this is supposed to be over here, not over there," which achieves nothing. Or we can simply learn that it's over there now and adapt.

Sure the site will be different. Maybe laid out differently. I'm sure it will function different too. But that's all minor stuff to adapt to. What it will be is faster, more stable, more functional, and most importantly, more secure. It might even have more features. Things that we want.
Well, ok...as long as the background isn't green ;) :upsidedown:
Seriously.. I'm looking forward to seeing the new digs. All the fun of a new house, without any effort on my part..Thanks to everyone involved.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts

Hmmm. I can't think of a single new thing I want from a forum. I've made tens of thousands of posts on vbb forums for the last 15 years. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Like I said. I'm about 90% sure this is just to find a way to disable ad blockers the way a lot of sites have started doing.

The besides adapting....the other thing survivalists are good at is knowing when to cut their losses and bug out.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,140 Posts
Well, ok...as long as the background isn't green ;) :upsidedown:
Seriously.. I'm looking forward to seeing the new digs. All the fun of a new house, without any effort on my part..Thanks to everyone involved.
I requested a camo background but they have not replied to the request...

·
Live Free or Die
3,826 Posts
It's all about balance: the users have a free forum, and the site owners get to make money.

As survivalists, I feel pretty sure that most of us will survive this change. Chances are, it will be worth it, however difficult it may (or may not) be.
OTOH, we have both seen forums die from bad decisions. I am concerned that it may happen here as well. Of course, those were complicated by absentee ownership.

·
Forum Administrator
5,820 Posts
Hmmm. I can't think of a single new thing I want from a forum. I've made tens of thousands of posts on vbb forums for the last 15 years. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Like I said. I'm about 90% sure this is just to find a way to disable ad blockers the way a lot of sites have started doing.

The besides adapting....the other thing survivalists are good at is knowing when to cut their losses and bug out.
You may be content with just chatting on these boards. Nothing wrong with that. I too like this simple format. Unfortunately, there are no more patches and updates to this version of VBB. And those that run it cannot keep on making custom patches for issues that keep popping up.

While you may not care for the expanded features we used to have here, others do. And you do not see the issues that fall on us daily because of program problems.

1) People that wanted to financially support the site, could not. It took over a year to fix. And if it takes those that want money that long to fix a problem, this means there ARE issues with this antiquated version of VB.

3) Oh, you don't care anymore anyway, so why bother. There is a litany of issues that have affected hundreds of active members here. Just in my limited permissions, I am busy about 2 hours a day manually overriding whatever caused the issue. This does not count the issues the Mods deal with or those that own this site. You say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Well this forum is broken and is getting worse. It cannot be patched or updated any further. If you want me to elaborate I will but, with your attitude lately, I won't waste the ink needed to type this.

P.S. I will add this about ads. Yep, we need blockers on this site unless one pays 5 bucks a month. And Merchants are listed as Mods. :xeye:

Well on the new forum, they won't be Mods. They actually are listed differently and won't have the permissions they do now.

Ads won't display like they do now. Blocking content and actually preventing people from doing a lot of stuff, without blockers of course. This has been a big issue because some ad traffic is incompatible with the programming here.
So, we get poor placement and well, it has turned into a **** show. The new format should take care of this issue.

I am just as apprehensive as the next person. I have read good things and I have read horror stories. But, we are going to move over. If you leave, you leave. But, I am sticking it out because I think what many do here is important. I believe in the original mission of this site. I have been on others and am a members of a few but, nothing touches the solid info here. Other sites have even gleaned and copied information from here, Verbatim.
So you do you, SB has to make due on the new format. And we will. I hope you stick around.

·
Forum Administrator
5,820 Posts
Any insight on why the software hasn't been updated in so long?

SB is version 3.8. vBulletin 4 was ~2009. Current version is 5.
Conjecture on my part but, from doing a lot of reading; even v-5 has no real support and is incompatible with a lot of the latest tech. It actually comes with less functionality than v-4 and prior versions.... They are having serious stability issues. I guess the bosses want us to move instead of staying with VB. They have other forums on XenForo, many of which were transferred from VB.

The new forum format, XenForo was founded by 3 x-Vbulletin employees, so....

But, yeah, I often wondered why they were not consistently updating.

·
One day at a time ...
1,850 Posts
Will the RSS feed address change? Unless I am searching for something particular, I just review the new posts with an RSS reader.

·
Forum Administrator
16,679 Posts
Any insight on why the software hasn't been updated in so long?

SB is version 3.8. vBulletin 4 was ~2009. Current version is 5.
Because after VB 3.8 quality went down the toilet. I was looking at upgrading the forum to VB 4 a decade ago, but there were so many issues with 4 I held off.

It appeared the new owners of VB - internet bands - wanted to push a forum with content management system out the door before testing was complete. Reading the VB support threads sounded like a nightmare. Layoffs, change of management and quality issues caused some of the VB developers to form Xenforo.

When Xenforo was founded the owners of VB sued the Xenforo developers in attempt to get them to stop development, but the lawsuit was dropped, if I remember right. Keep in mind this was almost a decade ago.

For reference - https://www.theregister.com/2010/10/05/vbulletin_sues_ex_employees/

In short, quality after VB 3.X was trash. By the time internet brands got their act together Xenforo had been founded and people were starting to switch.

When vbulletin.org was hacked it turned a lot of forum owners off VB. If the companies own website can be hacked then how safe are our sites.

A decade after VB 4 was released vbulletin.org is still using 3.8. If Vbulletin themselves will not use their own forum software, why should we.

It was one train wreck after another which VB brought upon themselves - quality issues, repeated quality issues, suing xenforo, security issues, lack of real innovation customers wanted... etc... etc.. etc. Users were literally begging VB for official add-ons, such as marketplace or auction house, and VB ignored us. Because of this there were security issues with aftermarket add-ons that caused sites to get hacked.

·
gardener & news junkie
3,116 Posts
Perhaps this has been answered way down the pages somewhere but I'll still ask if the site address will remain the same. If not, how will we find this place? Or will a new addy be posted before the switch is flipped? Or maybe this current addy pops up with a "forwarding address"?

·
Administrator
86 Posts
Perhaps this has been answered way down the pages somewhere but I'll still ask if the site address will remain the same. If not, how will we find this place? Or will a new addy be posted before the switch is flipped? Or maybe this current addy pops up with a "forwarding address"?
It will remain the same. :)

101 - 120 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.