Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Administrator
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Community Support

·
Forum Administrator
16,679 Posts
Yes everyone, this is a legit post. Over the next month there will be some changes to the community software. Please post questions, concerns, thoughts in this thread.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Will I be able to access the new and improved Forum using Tapatalk? Thx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Hopefully it will be as stated and user friendly across all devices.
I use Tapatalk myself because at the time it seemed to make the forum easier to use. However, there are still minor limitations with it, like the inability to see or participate in polls.
I look forward to not needing Tapatalk. Especially since this is now the only forum I participate in. Accessing multiple discussion forums within one app was handy but is no longer needed. For myself, anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Just be careful. Can you moderators try out the complete change b4 it is released to the general membership?
I just dropped a forum that I had been a member of for over 10yrs due to a change in board software. For me the change made the board less functional.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,557 Posts
<SNIP>. Can you moderators try out the complete change b4 it is released to the general membership?
I don't think so, as I understand it, the board will be Read Only while the changes are put into place then the whole board will "reopen" functional for all.

Site maintenance is a big deal and pretty intensive as it is.

·
Business Owner
2,281 Posts
Thank You!!!

I hope the improvement will mean the removal of the invasive ads. This site has long been the worst site for intrusive ads. Pop-ups, pop-unders, floaters, redirects, video ads that start playing without being opened. This site is basically unusable without heavy duty adblockers running. I love the site and the community but hate the in-your-face belligerent ads.

·
Super Moderator
14,206 Posts
If it fixes the search engine, I'm thrilled. Everything else is fine, as long as the damned search engine works again. That's critical to a site this large with this much information on it.
Works again? Has it ever worked?

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Thank You!!!

I hope the improvement will mean the removal of the invasive ads. This site has long been the worst site for intrusive ads. Pop-ups, pop-unders, floaters, redirects, video ads that start playing without being opened. This site is basically unusable without heavy duty adblockers running. I love the site and the community but hate the in-your-face belligerent ads.
Are you kidding? Why would they do that?

I hope you realize, this is almost certainly a move to increase ad revenue. I would not be surprised if this is all to disable ad blockers. Mark my words.

·
Forum Administrator
16,679 Posts
If it fixes the search engine, I'm thrilled. Everything else is fine, as long as the damned search engine works again. That's critical to a site this large with this much information on it.
Search is suppose to be very much improved.

·
Registered
14,891 Posts
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Community Support
Sounds good but the write-up is completely subjective like when is "soon?"

The best part is I trust this company unlike many big companies is not large enough to have change for change sake. Most changes are just some software engineer trying to justify his job with pointless changes.

I am looking forward to changes for the better.

Hard nut to crack. Changes current users will like while attracting new members. Good Luck with this difficult task.

·
Forum Administrator
16,679 Posts
1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.