Survivalist Forum banner

Meet RollJam, the $30 device that jimmies car and garage doors

4K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  SheepDog68 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I'm into lock picking. I've competed +(yes, there are competitions). I even own an online shop that sells lock-picking / lock-smithing supplies to other hobbyists as a side business.

Every lock is vulnerable. Even expensive complex locks can be defeated with the right tools and some skill.

Locks work because most criminals don't have the attention span to learn how to defeat them when a crowbar and boot work so effectively.

But this is a very creative device. I saw something similar at a hacking convention a few years ago. Also home made.

Are you familiar with the swipe card type locks?

This tiny device could be installed inside the electrical box the reader was mounted too. Remove two screws from the exterior after hours and install the device between the reader and the wires leading to the controller inside the building.

When an employee used their card, the device recorded the signal that was sent. The bad guy could then swipe a "repeat" card which told the device to send the same signal as before - opening the door. He could also swipe a "lock out" card which told the device to stop sending signals - essentially blocking anyone else from entering. Finally a "normal" card could be swiped to make everything work normally again. Nobody would have reason to suspect this device was installed.

Someone else had made an RFID card cloner. If you wave a card in front of a door to get access, you have an RFID card. Cards have no power supply so the reader sends out a radio signal which powers the card. The card then send out it's id number to the reader. If the reader recognizes the id number, it lets you in.

This clone device was a portable RFID reader that would listen for your card's id number and store it. It could then broadcast that same number again - opening the door. It could read cards in your pocket from up to 6 feet away but could read from up to 25 feet away if you were actually using your card to open a door.

#5 ·
Same sort of gizmo that crims stick over the slot on a cash machine. Reads the card info as it passes over it. Install a tiny cam on the face of the machine somewhere, captures the pin code
Swing back later, take the gizmo and camera off, and you have a lot of card info and pin numbers.

#7 ·
The previous owners damaged the garage door and broke the lock mechanism. Or they were robbed, don't know which.

Anyway, the guy across the street told us to run a padlock hasp through the "hole" on the track, and the door WOULD NOT come up. We did and we offered a friend $20 if he could get the door open. God knows he tried! We gave him the money anyway.

So, that works. We would continue to do this even after we get the door fixed.

#10 ·
Anyway, the guy across the street told us to run a padlock hasp through the "hole" on the track, and the door WOULD NOT come up. We did and we offered a friend $20 if he could get the door open. God knows he tried! We gave him the money anyway.
Locking bar, alarm and I power off my garage door opener (switch wired in). They could break a window, but that is about it.

#16 ·
New houses should always have locks, codes and openers changed/reprogrammed! Openers should be zeroed out so only your opener works!

Above that a motion detector that activates the opener for a minute or two when you drive up to the door would sidestep much of this silliness!

SD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.