Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The news is reporting that if this recession lasts until April 2009, it will officially be longer and more severe than "any recession in the post WWII era".

Reading between the lines, shouldn't they have said it is going to be the worst recession since the great depression?

I mean that's what they said means...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree they aren't reporting on it as they should. But in fairness, few in the media understand what is happening or why. The ones they turn to for economic matters are almost all Keynesians, so their understanding, and their prescriptions, couldn't be more wrong. They are so locked into a particular mode of thinking that they cannot see what is plainly obvious. Though there are many moving parts, the roots causes of our problems are simple, at least in my estimation. A system based on fiat currency, uncontrolled fractional reserve banking, and a privately-owned central bank, was doomed from the start. And now our leaders seem locked into the notion that we can solve debt problems with more debt. Fighting fire with fire sometimes works for the US Forestry Service, but I don't believe it will work for the fools in charge.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Reading between the lines, shouldn't they have said it is going to be the worst recession since the great depression?
Not sure what your watching but that is all I hear every night.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I watch the stock market most days. When they interview people whos jobs rely on the market they say this is a down turn,and it will turn around. When the market closes up they say now the investers are back and the market will make an upturn. Then the next day it crashes again. Now if you listen to the econimists they say this can not turn around untill the housing market bottoms out and that should be the middle of 09 or the end of the year. Thier will be many more job losses and business will go under.Banks are holding the money the feds gave them to stay afloat and help home owners with thier morgages, some bought up other banks. The loan for the big 3 is for a reorganizational and design change, which means lost jobs and possibly lower wages and or plant closures.Medical and retirement plans are being handed over to the uaw (union) in jan 09. Things are, in my opinion going to get alot worse throught 2009 and even more so in 2010 as more banks go under and the money dry's up from the feds

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I'd be suprised if it ONLY lasts til april 2009.
Not me, I figure that's about the time the deflation happens and we get price inflation worse than now simultaneously.
I'm glad I bought a lot of the preps I did when I did.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The news is reporting that if this recession lasts until April 2009, it will officially be longer and more severe than "any recession in the post WWII era".

I mean that's what they said means...

I want to point this out..."the worst recession since the great depresion".

so would that make the great depression........ the great recession?

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Bloomberg news does a pretty good job. I remember about 6-8 months ago a guest analyst on the show said unemployment would hit 7% or greater. The host laughed at him and said that was crazy. That host is not laughing now. The analyst was dead on, actually he may have been wrong. It could go higher than that. The latest unemployment comes out in less than hour.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
The female-dominated liberal media is agenda driven, not fact driven as when men dominated the profession. Until the economic situation is turned into a liberal cause it will not be covered well. Once it is a liberal cause -- read on the agenda -- then it will be covered.

How will it become a liberal cause? Hmmmmm... let me predict.... when women are demonstrated to be victims of the current economic policy, or minorities.... once that liberal vehicle is identified then the media will cover it and we will be flooded with woe-is-woman stories. It will take longer for "why is it that a black man in the white house is not paying attention to the black man in the street" stories since the media is Obama's 13th disciple at the moment.

·
Slow
19 Posts
In almost all of Obama's speaches and debates he used the line "worst economic times since the great depression". Maybe he played it out so much that the media cant use it for a while. which is fine with me because regardless of weather it is or isn't, I got sick of hearing that line.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
its all part of manipulating the people. do you know how many stupid americans dont even know how bad things are??? most idiots who watch 0 news and read 0 papers gage things by the cost of gas. and gas is cheap right now!!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I agree with Trixie, alot of what the media reports is simply manipulation. Of course they don't report how bad it really is right now, they don't want the sheep to panic! It's Christmas time, what would people do if they really thought things were bad? Probably quit buying as much crap with their credit cards maybe? Around here I see it every day. Yes folks have cut back a little but the mall is still packed, the parking lot of Walmart and Target are full. I think it's because a lot of people either just don't see how bad things are because they haven't lost THEIR job yet or they are denying it and going on as usual during the holidays. DH and I went out for dinner as a special occasion last weekend though and suprisingly the restaurant had only a few people when it should have been hopping then. This community is full of people with low wage jobs and many commute to a nearby larger town to work. It was worse a few months ago when gas jumped to $4 + dollars a gallon. Right now it's probably about the same as it was last year at Christmas, I personally do very little buying anyway and this year it's only essentials.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree with Trixie, alot of what the media reports is simply manipulation. Of course they don't report how bad it really is right now, they don't want the sheep to panic!
Who, exactly, is 'they'?

Some of you people need to get out more often and meet people outside your normal circle... people who work in these industries you point the conspiracy finger at. THEY are people just like you. And THEY, like you, simply don't know how bad the current situation is, what might make it better, what will make it worse, or how bad it just might get. The same people THEY are getting their info from are the ones you can watch first hand in their interviews... some of them predict doom & gloom, some of them predict flowers & sunshine, and some of them (the smart ones, IMO) say wait & see. The fact is - no-one really knows what will become of the current situation, because it's unprescedented.

You'd think listening to some of you that Visa & Mastercard have armed stormtroopers behind the scenes in newsrooms across the nation :D:

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
*Yawn* SSDD, I see.
Same facts. Same dynamic. "Journalism" is taking the same route as education did when women took it over -- downhill. Medicine is next, by enrollments, then law. If you choose to ignore great trends in society and provable changes that's your issue not mine.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Who, exactly, is 'they'?

Some of you people need to get out more often and meet people outside your normal circle... people who work in these industries you point the conspiracy finger at. THEY are people just like you. And THEY, like you, simply don't know how bad the current situation is, what might make it better, what will make it worse, or how bad it just might get. The same people THEY are getting their info from are the ones you can watch first hand in their interviews... some of them predict doom & gloom, some of them predict flowers & sunshine, and some of them (the smart ones, IMO) say wait & see. The fact is - no-one really knows what will become of the current situation, because it's unprescedented.

You'd think listening to some of you that Visa & Mastercard have armed stormtroopers behind the scenes in newsrooms across the nation :D:

as usual for you are trying to cast this "they" thing on everyone and everything making the prior posters statement seem silly. we have covered many many times who "they" are. if your too lazy to read it up or want to remain blissfully ignorant thats your perogative, good luck with that.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Same facts. Same dynamic. "Journalism" is taking the same route as education did when women took it over -- downhill. Medicine is next, by enrollments, then law. If you choose to ignore great trends in society and provable changes that's your issue not mine.
Education's problem is that it became mandatory and government run.

Medicine is already screwed- but that's because of Big Pharma and Big Insurance.

Sorry, but the only 'proveable' issue here is your misogyny.

Get over it- women are not the cause of all the evils and suffering in the world as you'd have us believe. :rolleyes:

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts

Well, that is the build-in paranoia isn't it. "They" are controlling everything and "they" are telling the media what to do et cetera. What that they is is foggy.

I think there is a less adorned answer. The profession is becoming increasingly dominated by young women. They comprise the majority of the thousands at work in the profession around the nation. They are liberal, they are agenda focused not fact focused. I think that explains the declining state of journalism, or shall I be kind and say a change from fact-based journalism to agenda journalism.

In the newspaper newsrooms I worked in at the end of my career I was usually the only male news journalist. The rest were women. There were men in sports and women in features, but in the news staff I was usually the only male. (When was the last time you saw a story about a heterosexual male doing something positive in the A section of your paper? What was the last time you read about a strong woman?)

Anyway, when I worked on a TV station as an assignment editor it was totally agenda driven. Facts were irrelevant. Indeed, at our daily morning meeting the general manager would always ask: "What are we going to make into news today?" A comment like that when I started my career would have gotten you fired.

In fact, one day I was opposing the general manager over a story that was not based on fact. She told me there was no such thing as facts and to run the story because we give the people want they want to see.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
"straight" razor, you know how i know your gay? from your posts. you need to find yourself a nice hairy bear and maybe you can let go of some of this mommy anger you have.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts