Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cityofboston.gov/news/Default.aspx?id=5212

For Immediate Release
July 25, 2011
Released By:
Mayor's Office For More Information Contact:
Mayor's Press Office
[email protected]

Joint federal military training exercises will take place within and around the Boston area between July 26th and August 5th. Military personnel will conduct training exercises to ensure the military's ability to operate in urban environments, prepare forces for upcoming overseas deployments, and meet mandatory training certification requirements. Helicopters will be used in some exercises.

The Boston Police Department is working with military personnel to coordinate training sites that will minimize negative impacts on our Boston citizens and their daily routines. Safety precautions have been taken to prevent risk to the general public and the military personnel involved. With that, training site locations are not open to the public and will be guarded by uniformed personnel to provide additional safety.

·
Centurion
361 Posts
Seems strange, the Army has urban Training areas set up. Plus you go to NTC (California) and Fort Polk to get your deployment certifications. My unit deployment schedule was sped up in 2007 giving us a year less to prepare, so to make it so that we could get certified they brought the graders to us. We did all the training on post in the housing areas (pain in the butt).

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Break out the tinfoil, here comes the gooberment.

Dude we trained in cities for years, sometimes in civilian clothing even.

Now it is unusual for them to do it like this with regular troops.

·
Centurion
361 Posts
Not really, I would need more info before I can come to a conclusion. What unit is it, where are they deploying/when. It could be that a unit got sped up for deployment and Bostons mayor saw dollar signs by letting them use the city to train. Or it could be something nefarious too, getting people used to seeing troops on U.S. soil.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The armed forces are supposed to be prepared for domestic emergencies. They're seen doing this and people worry that they're up to something nefarious. The emergency happens and the armed forces are not prepared for it, those same people howl that our forces weren't prepared. It goes around and around.

·
Lonesome Road
1,015 Posts
Yes, this is kinda odd. They must be National Guard, I hope anyway. The only reason I could think of them conducting this training off of a military installation would be that the training is for that kind of operation. It wouldn't be for an over seas deployment, it would be for that specific environment, i.e. working with LE on the streets in America. Like PrimalPriest said above, almost every military base or post has an Urban training area (See MOUT) and we have NTC and JRTC for pre-deployment training.

Or maybe it has something to do with budget. If they are National Guard and if they are not training with local LE, then it is possible someone made this training plan using what they have around them and actually pulled it off. If they could train in local abandoned industrial areas or abandoned apartment buildings that would save money and have great training value. I guess what we need to watch is whether or not they will be training with local LE and the training scenario has the words Civil Unrest in them.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The armed forces are supposed to be prepared for domestic emergencies. They're seen doing this and people worry that they're up to something nefarious. The emergency happens and the armed forces are not prepared for it, those same people howl that our forces weren't prepared. It goes around and around.
The Posse Comitatus Act was put in place to prevent federal troops from becoming "law enforcement" within the boundaries of the U.S. Although this law has been watered down and eroded since is passage, it has not been totally eliminated. The gist of what is left requires a governor to request assistance from federal troops.

Of course, "if someone in authority" decides to declare Martial Law, then all bets are off.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Good Lord!! If the government can't trust the Progressives of Mass. and Boston the rest of us are in really deep you know what!!!

You mean the Mass holes of Taxachussetts?

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Probably SF or NG troops practicing some urban maneuvers before going overseas. They may be trying to get a feel for a large urban area for some reason. This might be a "just in case training event" for Tehran or something...

·
Centurion
361 Posts
Hummm---would we be allowed to "interact"?:rolleyes:
That was an issue we had when we conducted training in the housing areas on post. They would give us a general bolo, and set us loose. So yeah they had OP Four out in a white sedan, god knows no one else drives one of those. There were so many complaints filed from wives and civies who work on post it was ungodly. Your driving to work and next thing you know a team of Soldiers jump out of the bushes while your at a stop sign to check your car not knowing if your "in play" or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts