Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Power of the Glave
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a farmer I keep an eye on how markets are doing for ag products.

Prices for live cattle, hogs, and chickens have crashed.

According to the news I've read the reason is because the major packing plants have just been told, that if even ONE employee in the plant comes-down with corona virus. The entire plant will be shut-down for 2 weeks. And all meat production for one week prior to the employee being diagnosed, must be recalled and destroyed.

So--I'm thinking to myself how this thing with corona virus could turn into a true "domino effect". Directly effecting our food supplies.

·
Retired *****
18,332 Posts

According to the news I've read the reason is because the major packing plants have just been told, that if even ONE employee in the plant comes-down with corona virus. The entire plant will be shut-down for 2 weeks. And all meat production for one week prior to the employee being diagnosed, must be recalled and destroyed.

So--I'm thinking to myself how this thing with corona virus could turn into a true "domino effect". Directly effecting our food supplies.
Yup.

Second and third order effects. I think filling the freezer with meats is more important than filling the closet with TP.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,718 Posts

Interesting and it’s not popped in my feeds for the meat industry can you quote a source so that I can follow.

·
Retired *****
18,332 Posts
Can you send the source for that "order"? Is it USDA?
During my last Costco run I grabbed 6 - 1/2 lbs of hamburger. 88% lean.

What is meant by 2nd and 3rd order effects:

Every action has a consequence, and each consequence has another consequence. These are called Second-Order Effects. Every change you make to a system will have Second-Order Effects, which may affect the system’s functionality.

1st order - virus makes people sick
2nd order - sick people not working - frightened people also not working
3rd order - people not working - people not getting paid - people not buying - wrecked economy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts