Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Survivor
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eyes are gone after reading the reviews, but $200 is the max my budget will allow.
I don't grind chicken bones, or process deer [yet], but mostly make hamburger. My LEM died, and I wasn't imprssed with it much before that, altough I paid $10 for it at a garage sale 3 years ago, and used it for 2 years grinding 30 lbs meat every 3-4 months, so I got my money's worth out of it.
I can't find my hand grinder, which I use for grinding up to 10 lbs at a time.
Now that I have to pay for a new one, I still want my money's worth.
I am looking at

or this one without the air cooling

The reviews were mostly good, but I like to read all the one star ones to see what they say, and mostly they complain that it won't grind chicken bones.

Some other cheaper ones say you have to cut the meat into cubes first. I have always cut mine while just under frozen into 1" or so square strips, or logs depending on how you look at it. I sure as heck don't want to have to cube it up. That would take too long and all that meat would be thawing while I do it.

Anyone have thoughts on these or recomendations based on what you own/use?

·
Survivor
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gungatim, I thought of that one, but the reviews [on Amazon as well as NT] are horrible. Some reviews said the auger wasn't centered, and other had different fitting problems. The quality seems hit or miss.

I have a couple of hand grinders already, which I like to use when doing less than 10 lbs. Right now, I can't find my favorite one since we moved. The 2 I can find, aren't good for hamburger.

My old electric was a LEM #8 225 watt, so dern near anything is an upgrade.

·
Survivor
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so I became aware that the $200 ones aren't much better than a $100 one.
So I'll either get a less than $100 one, and know it will fail at some point, or get a Big Ol Thing. The problem there is when I've got 30 lbs of meat cut on the table, and it quits, leaving me with all that meat thawing out, like it did last time.
Hubby came home, and we looked at our dismantled [low end] #8 LEM, and saw the plastic gears are still good, and turn when we manually turn the fan, so likely the motor burnt out.
I told him we should get a 1/2 HP or better, and he said he'd put up $200 to match my birthday money from my Mom.
The #5 [$200] and #8 [$300] won't untilise all the possible attatchments LEM makes, that we may want later, plus the #8 is recommended for 2 deer a year, which is a little less than what I do, but I asked Hubby, how does the machine know when it's time to do another deer, and what if it isn't ready yet when I need it?

The #12 "Big Bite" is $450 at LEM, $400 on Amazon, and $420 at BassPro, plus there's a coupla mail in freebies. Granted I never liked that only 2 plates come with it, neither of which is ideal. The 10mm is too big and the 4.5 is too small, but LEM sells a 6mm which is close to what I used on my hand grinder. THAT should be the freebie, instead of the meat lug and 22lb scale.

So I am going to suck it up and drive to Bass Pro [at the m*ll] today to see if they have it. If they do, I can be eating fresh ground hamburgers later today!

·
Survivor
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm hoooooooooome. Killed it, and drug it home, temporaily doubling the value, and possibly the weight, of my car [until I had Hubby take it out].
Goodness sakes those things were HUGE in person! When I saw them, I almost freaked out and got the smaller one, but then remembered all the reasons for getting this one. ALL the extra attatchments work with this model. Just in case I want add-ons.
It was not advertised as being on sale, but upon showing the sale price on their website on my cell phone, they gave it to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.