Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
I‘ve raised / created habitat for crickets. Not for me to eat but rather for the chickens to eat. They don‘t bite. Be careful about encouraging to many “free range” crickets in your backyard if you plan on raising some of your food in a garden or you and the crickets will be in competition for the same head of lettuce.

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
4,956 Posts
I am looking now as well, but has there been a caloric vs proteins and nutrients viability for these types of insects. Right now I am leaning to crunch and some caloric juice as there cant be much meat to weight ratio of them.

I understand to take and consume what is found to stay alive but hunt and gather calories used vs calories gained is probably low.

·
I Seen A Sighting!
4,589 Posts
Keep this in mind.... when you eat the insect, you also eat the gut. They are consumed in their entirety.

Skip down to the header titled 'Bacteria'. And 'Viruses'.

The possible dangers of eating insects

Interestingly protozoa and spirochete bacteria are not even mentioned. They would still be an issue in consuming some insects.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had an old blue healer who used to love sitting out in front of the barn light at night waiting for them to hit it and come crashing to the ground so she could munch on them, she loved them and it was entertaining as hell watching! I never had to worry about that ole gal going hungry!! LOL

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gotta say, I am amused by this today. Looking at the nutritional value of Cricket Flour, which is a new one for me, a lot of protein and more fat grams than carb grams.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
We have raised crickets to feed our reptiles. A few big totes, grass, and some potato slices (for water, not food) is about all you need unless it is really cold. Put a moist container of dirt in and they will lay eggs in it that can be moved to a new tote to get different ages contained in different totes. Not that I am saying I would eat them, but they do make good bait and would easily supplement chicken feed. I could even see you using them to supplement food for other livestock. You could feed the pigs all the ones that die off at old age. Wonder if you could crush them and sprinkle over grass to add protein for rabbits?.

Might look into flour beetles and mealworms too.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Crickets are awesome. As fish bait, as chicken feed, and belive it or not these guys are pretty good if prepared properly.

I've tried all manner of creepy crawlies and with few exceptions they are quite good. The key is, as with a lot of " normal foods " in the preparation.

Sautéed in a butter/garlic sauce with a dash of white wine. Cook until crickets can be split in half using a fork without effort. Serve with mushrooms over rice or mashed potatoes.

Pound for pound insects have more protein than beef.

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
4,956 Posts
Just throwing some numbers out there still reading....

So protein rich but calorie poor as only 2100 calories per THAT container.... 1lb
5 days of recommended protein per container and 10 days of vitB

You have to watch for powder vs. flour that site runs about $35 dollars a pound for 100% cricket. So $7 dollars a day if its your only protein source.

But as compared to 80/20 raw hamburger by weight it has twice the calories, over 3 times the proteins, but no fat.

Now can it be stored LTS in mylar? 30 year old crickets....

Thats 3000 - 4000 crickets to make a lb of dry.

So far only things I can find for dry vs live vs other are directed for feeding pets.

·
Registered
405 Posts
saw an article about this. new big plants in Canada. first thought was, that is an interesting way to plan for food shortages, but also - is there a survivalist application. are they easy to raise? can you let them out in the yard like chickens? Do they bite?
One puts the little bitty cricket on a hook and turns that into a big fine meal

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
4,956 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Someone came to my Grand daughters school and did a presentation about how great they are.
I heard that they will be serving chicken nugget style meal worms and crickets in British schools in the future.

·
Registered
609 Posts
They are best eaten live with soy sauce, it takes a little getting used to the itchy/scratchy feeling going down the throat though!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts