Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I was wondering, what are your measures for if you run out of fuel (benzine, diesel,...).

When you're leaving you maybe don't have enough fuel, and probably won't find a petrol station on your way; you need to have something to make your engine run, what is that? :)

Just wondering if this is also something considered and how it is considered.

Thanks for reading,
Niely

·
Ham Extra Class
3,262 Posts
I have two external tanks plus the factory tank on my F-350 Ford Superduty.

My dual purpose 100 gallon tank with 12 volt pump that I can take in and out of the bed when the tank is empty (when it's full it's staying put where it's at). My truck is diesel and its factory tank is 38 gallons. The truck also has another 105 gallon tank permantently mounted in the front of the bed. That's a total of 243 gallons.
So I can go along ways at about 14 MPG or so.
If my math is right about 3400 miles. So fuel ain't even a concern at all.

Trying to find any type of motor oil or cooking oil to make bio diesel after the SHTF would not be reliable enough for me to try and travel and make bio fuel as I traveled. So I say you better have all the fuel you need to either float through a fuel shortage if you bug in, or have plenty of fuel with you if you bug out.

My dual purpose 100 gallon tank. I can run gas or diesel in it, But must clean it out first (from gas to diesel, or diesel to gas) before I run one or the other fuel. With 12 volt pump and filter.

My permanent mounted 105 gallon tank with 12 volt pump and filter.

This is my big tank that holds a little over 1000 gallons of diesel. So I can fill my truck and the other tanks that I have with this one, Should the gas stations be closed, out, or packed with panicked customers.
I try not to let it get below about 600 gallons or so before I refill it.

I also have about 20 of these five gallon jugs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have used some alternative fuel choices in an old 6x6 2.5 ton military truck. I have not used any alternative fuel in my F350 which has a 7.3L diesel.
I never have more than 500 gallons of diesel or gasoline.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
NEVER let your fuel tank get any less than half empty, fill up as soon as it reaches this level, this will stop the crud in the bottom of your tank from being stirred up, it also gives you a head start on others who don't do the same.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I cleaned out my 12 yr old diesel tank with 200k miles to do some modifications. The tank was very clean. I have only had the truck the last 40k miles. I'm sure the previous owner ran the truck as long as they could between fill ups.
I agree that we should keep our tanks on the full side. Just not as much to stop stirring up gunk. I use a fuel additive as well.

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
I only have about 73 gallons of diesel and 110 gallons of gas squirreled away .
Mostly for the generators and heavy equipment .
Working on a plan to store more fuel as time goes , there are just so many things one can invest at a time .
When I was first filling my tanks I would have the 5 gal. gas can with me an fill it the same time I filled the motorcycle, making it a fuel run .
Its good to see the fuel prices coming down but I'm sure it won't last long.
I have no regrets for what I paid for fuel in the past , it is what it is. I dip into the fuel at the end of the month cause money is low, and to keep cycling fresh fuel in the reserves.
I won't worry much about traveling post SHTF, but it is prudent to have the fuel if at some point one must get out of dodge. Additionally it is important to use alternative sources before using up fuel resources.
Alternate sources include methane, alcohol, and wood gas.
These take processing ,a little hard to do on the road , but advisable to take along bugging out permanently . One must have a very strong respect for the process and the fuel. A lot of people died that did not respect what they were doing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for sharing how you do it.
So, taking a lot of fuel with you from home is actually the key? No alternatives gathering from the woods/wild or something?

·
Ordinary Average Guy
960 Posts
All you can do is put some back in containers so you have it when you need it. Most of us don't have the $$ or need for a thousand gallon storage tank of fuel. To me something like that will be a target when TSHTF.

Us average folks, we have to do the best we can. I try to keep 25gallons in my garage, in 5gallon cans. If the world goes down the toilet, I wont be driving since I have nowhere to go. If something happens and I need to get out, I have enough to get down the road.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have to say as far as gathering fuel in the "wild" are you talking about bartering buying or pilfering.
I guess I could say most of my friends all have fuel at there disposal. We all know each other have fuel. I wouldn't consider there supplies my cache. We always barter amongst ourselves. Diesel fuel is almost a currency to even up a trade.
Pilfering and or stealing I of course don't condone. Lets say my friends have bugged out and I need to follow them. I am now out of fuel. I know they left fuel at there home and they would like me to gather as much fuel and supplies. The options to transfer fuel from one of my buddies tanks to mine is as simple as a siphone hose to pumps.
I have 5 gallons of fuel hidden near my River camp so I guess you could stash fuel at a location right near the edge of fuel range.
My out of town contact in an emergeny is about two hours from my home under normal conditions. I could extend my fuel storage to their home under the right conditions. Right now isn't one of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts