Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day,

In case some people don't know or a reminder for people who have heard of the above, I noticed there pieces of wrapped food called emergency rations (EMR) and meals ready to eat (MRE).

EMR's are thick squares of food that can be had for relatively inexpensive prices. Their shelf life is about 5 years.

MRE's are what the military gets for the field, I think. They are like regular meals. The catalog I'm looking at now show them ranging from $50 for 12 meals to $80 for 12 meals depending on the quality. It doesn't say the shelf life but IIRC it is either 5 or 7 years.

Something similar to MRE's are buckets with "freeze dried emergency food kits". What I am looking at now claims a whopping 25 year shelf-life. 56 servings are $100 and 240 servings are $440. Sounds like it's worth looking into.

Stay Safe all.

basketweave

·
Warrior Trying tobe Civil
1,880 Posts
The maximum shelf life for any food storage is based on the ideal condition. Those ideal condition change a bit between reference sources, but out of sunlight, in a cool, dry environment is best. For a lot of folks, about the best they can do is place them in a closet in their living quarters. The garage, attic, or basement/cellar are usually what folks have the most of, but are the least likely to provide a proper long term storage environment. Some resources provide a chart listing the shelve life of their products under various storage temperature and humidity conditions.

For those not familiar, caution with the purchase of inexpensive MRE, if you are shopping for military grade. Many of the MRE offerings are not military grade. Buyer beware.

Best Regards......Eagle Six

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
For me it's all about cost and shelf life..My first pruchase was a 4 person / 1 year Augason farms supply of food...In the last year, I have been concentrating more on bulk #10 cans (meats, veggies, fruit) and rice, wheat, sugar,etc mylared and 5 gallon buckets...Also, look at how many people you will be prepping for..#10 cans are great for groups larger then 2 people..Smaller cans might suit you better for less then 2...I'm not a big fan of MRE's, except for a bug out bag..I plan on bugging in...

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,608 Posts
I'm assuming by EMR you mean Datrex, Mainstay, etc? I use Datrex in my BOB. It's not an ideal food source. But for very short term use, it's acceptable. Some people have digestive issues with them and need to test thoroughly before trusting your life with them.

MREs are discussed ad nauseum here, so nothing to add.

But always be sceptical of "servings" when it comes to freeze dried and dehydrated foods. Go by calories instead. And you'll find that most of those "year supply" kits are really only a 6-8 month supply. I've seen some where their idea of a serving is 100 calories, and their idea of a day's worth of food is 1,200 or less. They love to cheat on the numbers.

·
Registered
21,768 Posts
I'm assuming by EMR you mean Datrex, Mainstay, etc? I use Datrex in my BOB. It's not an ideal food source. But for very short term use, it's acceptable. Some people have digestive issues with them and need to test thoroughly before trusting your life with them.

MREs are discussed ad nauseum here, so nothing to add.

But always be sceptical of "servings" when it comes to freeze dried and dehydrated foods. Go by calories instead. And you'll find that most of those "year supply" kits are really only a 6-8 month supply. I've seen some where their idea of a serving is 100 calories, and their idea of a day's worth of food is 1,200 or less. They love to cheat on the numbers.
+1 on calories. We can disagree on what constitutes "a meal" but not on what constitutes a 2200 calories a day.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The old omelets were horrid. The new ones are not bad if they are hot. They have veggies (red and green bell peppers and onions, I think) and they have a side of green salsa verde. The meal also comes with granola/blueberries/dehydrated milk which is awesome.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've been looking at the Datrex EMR's for in the BOB. What are they actually? How do they taste? Why aren't they ideal?
They're cheap, don't need preparing and it has a lot of calories, right?

·
Fighter
356 Posts
Last weekend, the wife and I made our own homemade MRE's. It ended up costing about $3 a meal to make and each one is a meal for our family of 5. Not really an MRE I guess, more of a dry soup mix. Just add to boiling water and ready to go. Look up 365 recipes on you tube. A woman wanted to have a years worth of healthy meals for her family. They are small and easy to store. They are easy enough to cook that the kids could cook them if they had to. WAY cheaper to make your own.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've been looking at the Datrex EMR's for in the BOB. What are they actually? How do they taste? Why aren't they ideal?
Datrex are basically shortbread cookies. You can get various brands that taste like lemon, coconut, etc. They aren't bad, but they sure are not the best either.

What you get is a bare-minimum survival cookie that is designed to keep you barely alive if you are trapped in a lifeboat and not moving around. If you are burning calories, you need a significantly larger portion than they provide. They are calling 3600 calories a 3-day ration. I opened one up and ate 1/9th of the bar (one meal ration)... 400 calories isn't much of a meal.

But it's better than nothing if that's all you have.

They last a good deal longer than the official expiration date. That date is the guarantee that they are still 100% good and meet all of the stated nutritional information. I have eaten a Datrex that was left in a hot car for 10 years after its expiration. The oil was beginning to separate, but it tasted fine and didn't make me sick! :thumb:

The only thing to watch out for is the vacuum sealed pouch. I would put it into a couple layers of ziplock bag to protect it from abrasion. If you break the vacuum seal, they will likely mold on you when they are sitting in your emergency kit. Then when you go to use them years later, they will be bad.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Something similar to MRE's are buckets with "freeze dried emergency food kits". What I am looking at now claims a whopping 25 year shelf-life. 56 servings are $100 and 240 servings are $440. Sounds like it's worth looking into.

So it works out cheaper to buy the 56 servings at a time rather than the 240 if you figure cost per serving.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I keep 2 bricks in my GHB. They tolerate heat & cold quite well, which works best for me since I leave my bag in my auto. Summers here in Alabama get HOT, MRE's would degrade in a matter of days if left in my car.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,608 Posts
So it works out cheaper to buy the 56 servings at a time rather than the 240 if you figure cost per serving.
Which you really can't do, because some of them consider 50 calories a serving. Best to always figure cost per calories, and number of "actual" servings based on calories. Never go by the number of "days" or "servings" that they quote. They're really bad at cheating that way. All of the companies are, even the top ones.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Which you really can't do, because some of them consider 50 calories a serving. Best to always figure cost per calories, and number of "actual" servings based on calories. Never go by the number of "days" or "servings" that they quote. They're really bad at cheating that way. All of the companies are, even the top ones.
So even if they are the same product,you cant figure by cost per serving?

I do see the point you are making ( I think). Cant compare peaches to meat etc.. or a serving of 100 calories to one with 50.

I kinda think they are trying to keep me confused on what I am buying.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I keep 2 bricks in my GHB. They tolerate heat & cold quite well, which works best for me since I leave my bag in my auto. Summers here in Alabama get HOT, MRE's would degrade in a matter of days if left in my car.
Absolutely. I am not saying to not use them... I am saying to use them when necessary. A hot car climate is one of those times. I have a couple here and there to round out my emergency rations and supplement the other food in the BOB.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts