Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Gun Guy
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IE: Ensure, Slim Fast and others I dont know the brand name of.

Id like to get a discussion going on the ups and downs of storing these types of things for survival. Kinda a last ditch fall back, or a suplement to daily intake.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I've used them for several years, different brands.

mainly as a snack, instead of fixing a sandwich, etc, and sometimes in the morning, instead of a regular breakfast, if I'm in a hurry.

As for survival, I really had not considered that. Plenty of good food bars out there, Mainstay, etc., that have vitamins and what not, that are lighter,easier to pack/store and most of the drinks don't taste real good hot.

·
High on a mountain top
435 Posts
When I've looked at them their shelf life has only been 6 months or less - not sure if it was the store or if the product doesn't keep long?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Most (or all) of the meal replacement mixes sold in grocery stores are meant for weight loss. This is not something that you want to eat in an emergency since you need the colories. Look products aimed at body builders. They often have higher amount of protein and vitamins. InStone Nutrition used to make a great one that was also high in fiber. I don't think its available anymore. Plus you can buy them in huge tubs which are cheaper than individual packets.

I keep a few in my 72 hour bag.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you don't have milk handy, Look at NIDO Dry milk(has fat) or Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk.

Then add some Instant Breakfast mix to it.

Granted, adding two dry mixes together if you don't have regular milk is not appetizing, but it would keep you going.

If the taste is too tough, add a small bit of Vanilla pudding mix.

All this assumes you have water.

·
Registered
816 Posts
shelf life aside, i think you would want to avoid dieting products. these products are designed to make you LOSE weight. You want to retain it. I would instead get dry protein, weight gain shake powders, maybe even nesquick or something.

·
Registered
371 Posts
During dead of winter backpacking trips, I've added chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast mix to my oatmeal. I REALLY notice a big difference in my energy level. I also notice I feel warmer from the added calories.

It can be added to many things such as pancake or waffle batter, biscuit mix, bread dough, for extra nutritive/caloric value. Another idea, strange as this may sound, is sprinkling it on pasta or rice. It's delicious!

btw- my family and I have used this many times after the 'best by' date and it seemed just fine... :thumb:

I recommend this as an emergency food. Worst case scenerio, you COULD even eat the powder without adding the liquid.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't think there is anything in the diet drinks that will make you loose weight, it's what is not in them is the reason for the weight loss. They are designed to satisfy your hunger with fewer calories.

·
Registered
104 Posts
id look into the weightlifting type products instead of the diet ones

muscle milk is good stuff for this. tastes good and has lots of GOOD calories and long lasting protein.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have read that diet drinks and the like do not help us lose weight, I am living proof -- but they help us to gain weight.

Stick with the natural if at all possible.

I like the idea of hot cocoa as a long time ago or so, It was great to add cocoa powder to coffee powder to keep warm and energized. I do not normally drink coffee, though when your in the woods and cold, it all helps..

Thanks to ya all for the great suggestions......

·
Little Big Man
92 Posts
id look into the weightlifting type products instead of the diet ones

muscle milk is good stuff for this. tastes good and has lots of GOOD calories and long lasting protein.
Yeah I have Met-rx and EAS packed away, they are body building protein supplements and are delicious. Some like the muscle milk and other varieties are packed with a large amount of vitamins and minerals, check out a muscle milk label and its like a great multi vitamin with carbs/fat and plenty of protein and they taste awesome. You are talking about what is probably the most nutritious food out there that you can find ounce for ounce, and its tasty ;).

as for the shelf life, I checked mine and most seem to have at least a year on the individual packs... they aren't cheap but are very convenient.

·
Registered
319 Posts
how would that dehydrate you?
Well, lessee: If the fluid that you are drinking that would normally get put into your body gets run through you without staying inside you. You've just now lost all the water that you would have had in your body. Think diarrhea in a survival situation, you can't afford to lose fluids when water's at a premium.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Well, lessee: If the fluid that you are drinking that would normally get put into your body gets run through you without staying inside you. You've just now lost all the water that you would have had in your body. Think diarrhea in a survival situation, you can't afford to lose fluids when water's at a premium.
not really. If you have water and no food, you won't get dehydrated.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Yeah I have Met-rx and EAS packed away, they are body building protein supplements and are delicious. .
I have some of that myoplex shake stuff. actually it's pretty darn good especially with milk for the liquid.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts