Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pondering cheap, compact, lightweight food options that also have a long shelf life and is quick to prepare, and I think I've come up with a solid option.

1/3 cup of rice
1/3 cup of lentils
1 package of onion soup mix
1 can of rotel tomatoes
Your choice of seasonings
4-5 cups of water

Simply bring the water to a boil, and stir everything in. After 15 to 20 minutes it's done. I include the juice from the tomatoes. As for seasonings, I don't recommend salt as the tomatoes and soup mix have a ton already. I like to season mine with a huge amount of paprika and turmeric. 555 calories per serving.

Pros:
1) Light, cheap, compact, quick cooking, long shelf life
2) Plenty of protein and complex carbs
3) You can easily add other food items, either as a modified recipe or as they are found, hunted, gathered, or scavenged
4) Extremely filling

Cons:
1) Requires a lot of water
2) Requires a pot large enough to hold that amount of water
3) A LOT of salt. I'm not concerned about it personally, but YMMV

You could easily dehydrate your own onions, tomatoes, and other veggies for a healthier and even more compact package and I plan to do that eventually. I think dehydrated broccoli would be a fantastic addition.

Does anyone else have something similar?

·
Registered
324 Posts
"MARE"..... That is an interesting thought....

One thing I do is invent what I call "JAW" meals.. Standing for "just add water"...
A one liter canning jar of dry ingredients, that you add to 2-3 liters water to cook into a meal for 3-4 people..

Canning jars are reusable. Cold is a factor here in the far north in keeping wet canned goods..

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like that concept. Do you have a few recipes you can share?

I forgot to add that if I have more than one serving of the lentil soup in a day, there's some serious gas issues. Even once a day for a few days. So it needs to be rotated in with other foods.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
How do you intend to use those MARE's? I am assuming you intend to put them all into some sort of container to keep them all together until needed?

If you plan to keep in in your vehicle in case you are ever stranded, I think I would prefer something I can eat right now with no cooking needed.

If you plan to use it while on a quick bug out, I think something that can be eaten with no cooking on the move is the way to go.

If you intend to use it at home. It would work but I am not a fan of making up meals ahead like that. I prefer to keep my ingredients separate it gives me more options and It only takes a couple minutes to throw together the ingredients in a pot anyways.

Where such meals would come in handy(in my opinion) is in the ice shack, or the hunting cabin or camping or other situations like that.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may not be perfect for any one situation, but it's cheaper than Mountain House and almost as easy to prepare. I'd say it's fairly versatile. For home use I don't pre mix anything.

You seem to have some good information regarding food for these conditions, and I'm here to learn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts