Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the past few weeks I have been visiting various stores to take pictures and document the Coronavirus outbreak.

I keep hand sanitizer in the car and use it every time I get out. When I go into a store I try not to touch anything unless I have to. Mostly I go to the store to pick up odd and ends.

My wife and I have supplies at home, food for lunch, dinner and breakfast. Garden gets planted starting this week.

Maybe it is time, or past time, to stop sightseeing. I changed my habits this week. Rather than getting breakfast out I am taking it with me from home.

~~ EDIT ~~

Added video

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,947 Posts
Like a moth to a flame, you and I are the same.
I had to see for myself. :D:
I drove 20 miles this morning to an off the beaten path grocery store to get a lb of IDY yeast.
The store was more busy than normal, but was fairly well stocked.
This will probably be my last shopping for a while.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Maybe.

Its also important to know whats going on in your AO. Any of us who have been seriously prepping these past few years should have no trouble going out safely at this point. The basic gloves, waterproof clothing and respirators that we all have should be enough.

I'm not sure the right answer to this though. Curiosity killed the cat, but good intel saved the dog.

Rather than getting breakfast out I am taking it with me from home.
You only stopped doing that THIS WEEK?

·
Banned
14,722 Posts
Right now there are four real risks:

1. Getting the virus if you are well.
2. Spreading the virus if you are sick.
3. Having your home burgled and all your preps stolen while you are gone.
4. Getting seriously injured (car accident, mugging, tripping and falling, a fight in a store, etc.) and then adding to the already overwhelmed and infected hospital population of patients waiting for care from sick and overworked medical staff, using soiled PPE.

I'm really puzzled why "Survivalist" with no need to go out continue to do so when they have been suggested, asked and TOLD to stay home for weeks now...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Right now there are four real risks:

1. Getting the virus if you are well.
2. Spreading the virus if you are sick.
3. Having your home burgled and all your preps stolen while you are gone.
4. Getting seriously injured (car accident, mugging, tripping and falling, a fight in a store, etc.) and then adding to the already overwhelmed and infected hospital population of patients waiting for care from sick and overworked medical staff, using soiled PPE.

I'm really puzzled why "Survivalist" with no need to go out continue to do so when they have been suggested, asked and TOLD to stay home for weeks now...
:thumb:

It's a gawker mentality. Same as everyone on highways that slow down to look at wrecks and often cause fender-benders in the process. This is what I was getting at in my "Pseudo Prepper" thread. It isn't about whether you got everything you needed or not, but how you react to a situation such as this and where you set your priorities.

·
Banned
14,722 Posts
Maybe.

Its also important to know whats going on in your AO. Any of us who have been seriously prepping these past few years should have no trouble going out safely at this point. The basic gloves, waterproof clothing and respirators that we all have should be enough.

I'm not sure the right answer to this though. Curiosity killed the cat, but good intel saved the dog.

You only stopped doing that THIS WEEK?
Intel?

1. Check internet.
2. Make a phone call.
3. Ask people in your A/O who you KNOW are still going out or just returned, preferably over email/phone. Or from across the front yard.
4. Check local TV station.
5. Buy a $200 drone with a camera that can fly up in the air and look around.

What intel is to be gathered? Do you expect to crack some super secret government code?

More likely, it will confirm the local store is out of milk and toilet paper. And to get that intel you have to basically risk your life and all your preps - we can debate the severity of that risk.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Some of us are gathering intel. Such as my trip to Costco this afternoon. Had I not gone out, on a very warm and sunny day, how would I have known the store was mostly stocked (see update in the panic buying thread) and that shopper activity would be considered as normal every day activity. Even possibly on the low side.

I absolutely do NOT trust the MSM on a lot of the reporting and am taking necessary precautions as advised by the government, whom I also don't trust for other reasons.

·
Banned
14,722 Posts
some of us are gathering intel. Such as my trip to costco this afternoon. Had i not gone out, on a very warm and sunny day, how would i have known the store was mostly stocked (see update in the panic buying thread) and that shopper activity would be considered as normal every day activity. Even possibly on the low side.

I absolutely do not trust the msm on a lot of the reporting and am taking necessary precautions as advised by the government, whom i also don't trust for other reasons.
(623) 293-4400

(928) 541-2203

·
Registered
586 Posts
Intel?

1. Check internet.
2. Make a phone call.
3. Ask people in your A/O who you KNOW are still going out or just returned, preferably over email/phone. Or from across the front yard.
4. Check local TV station.
5. Buy a $200 drone with a camera that can fly up in the air and look around.

What intel is to be gathered? Do you expect to crack some super secret government code?

More likely, it will confirm the local store is out of milk and toilet paper. And to get that intel you have to basically risk your life and all your preps - we can debate the severity of that risk.
Some people look forward to disasters. It's why dystopian fiction is so popular. They get excited by them, by the risks, by the fear in others; they feel a superiority because they "prep" versus most others who don't. So what do they do when the SHTF, they don't hunker down (which is the safe thing to do), they go out and want to experience as much as they can. Then they try to justify it using some absurd logic...

At the end of the day, when there's flooding, you'll always see a good crowd on the riverside looking, and occasionally someone gets swept away and needs rescuing or worse.

·
Banned
14,722 Posts
And pray tell what number is that?
Costco. You simply call them. "Hey, before I drive in, how busy are you and how are your TP stocks? I'd like to get some."
They will tell you "WE are slammed busy with a line out the door and shelves bare." OR they will tell you "It's a quiet day, light foot traffic. Just got a new shipment of XYZ, plenty to buy, no limits...".

Done. Less time than warming up the car, and no risk whatsoever.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Lol, no. But I do want to know what the condition of the stores are, how many people are out and about, what they are doing, what the zeitgeist of the area is, how the reality matches up to the news.

Just simply knowing "Whats going on out there?""

Not knowing what is going on is also a risk. We can indeed debate the balance of that risk, and its not even something I can claim to know....part of why the intel is needed.

As for shopping.....

If you think, as I do, that there will soon come a time when shopping is too dangerous to do, or flat out impossible. I want to start that time with everything maxed out, not 20% through my preps.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Maybe it is time, or past time, to stop sightseeing. I changed my habits this week. Rather than getting breakfast out I am taking it with me from home.
Getting breakfast out? Haven't trusted eating anything that's not prepared by my better half or myself in 3 weeks. Last meal I ate that was not prepared by us was Taco Bell on 3/7.

My wife and I had a good laugh the other day realizing that it's been 3 weeks and you can barely see a difference in food stores.

Am I worried about the virus, yes. Worried more about "unexpected consequences"

·
Retired curmudgeon
18,380 Posts
If you think, as I do, that there will soon come a time when shopping is too dangerous to do, or flat out impossible. I want to start that time with everything maxed out, not 20% through my preps.
This ^^

I haven't touched my "preps" so far. Still eating the fresh food that's available as long as it's available.

If and when I do need to use them I don't want them half gone because I started too early.

Then there's this:

Costco will have a shopping hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. that are designated to members who are over 60 years old or have physical disabilities.

Only members who meet these criteria will be able to shop during those hours and guests will not be admitted.
https://www.wmbfnews.com/2020/03/19...-hour-keep-customers-safe-during-coronavirus/

I can't think of anything I need right now except some of their chocolate chip cookies. :thumb:

===

When the entire country/world comes to a screeching halt, the china virus will be the least of our worries.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,835 Posts
If I want to know what's going on in my area, I either watch my local news and/or I go to our town's Facebook page and look at pics of everybody's postings of what the store shelves look like. There are people doing it for me, they just don't know it, so I don't have to leave the house.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
Lol, no. But I do want to know what the condition of the stores are, how many people are out and about, what they are doing, what the zeitgeist of the area is, how the reality matches up to the news.

Just simply knowing "Whats going on out there?""

Not knowing what is going on is also a risk. We can indeed debate the balance of that risk, and its not even something I can claim to know....part of why the intel is needed.

As for shopping.....

If you think, as I do, that there will soon come a time when shopping is too dangerous to do, or flat out impossible. I want to start that time with everything maxed out, not 20% through my preps
If a few weeks will go through 20% of your preps you are not as serious about prepping as I thought you were.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
If I want to know what's going on in my area, I either watch my local news and/or I go to our town's Facebook page and look at pics of everybody's postings of what the store shelves look like. There are people doing it for me, they just don't know it, so I don't have to leave the house.
Thats a good point and may be part of why I do still go, I AM 'the people' for some other people who aren't going at all.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I've been staying out of the stores, I went a week ago Monday for fresh vegetables, all stuff that keeps well for a while. My GF insists on shopping almost daily, trying to break her of the habit. There's really little that you have to have and I have enough to share.

I'm still at work and less and less are showing up, due to child care or working from home. But I'm exposed to the same people every day. Cars on the road are at least 1/2 of the normal, I work close to a busy small airport, no activity to be seen today.

·
Grevcon 10
13,409 Posts
Getting breakfast out? Haven't trusted eating anything that's not prepared by my better half or myself in 3 weeks. Last meal I ate that was not prepared by us was Taco Bell on 3/7.

My wife and I had a good laugh the other day realizing that it's been 3 weeks and you can barely see a difference in food stores.

Am I worried about the virus, yes. Worried more about "unexpected consequences"
Not since Valentine's day here, and we had cut back to it being very rare since the last week of January.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts