Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE been around the block a few times in my life.
I have seen the dragon, the elephant or whatever beast you wish to conjure that says you have looked that mortality in the eyes and the other guy blinked

I have seen people do heroic courageous things and I have seen people do unbelievably wicked things, and yet they all made sense under the circumstances they were engaged with,
BUT

for the life of me,
I cannot fathom WHY anyone, willfully tortures themselves doing something that they know will cause them great discomfort and pain TO THEMSELVES.

I have seen some of the toughest street cops, I mean people you cross the street to keep away from so they would not notice you, reduced to tears, sweats and agony Because they ate someones HOT horseradish, or sauce or whatever concoction ON PURPOSE, knowing they would be in agony for it.
WHY??? Who does that?
I asked and they could never answer other than do the macho thing and go "Oh, that is good." meanwhile they look like they are on fire and feel that way also and are begging for a glass of milk.

I know people who would eat things they KNEW would cause them great distress, heartburn, bloating, almost terminal gas, and they tell you about it ahead of time that it is going to happen, because it happens to them all the time when they eat it, yet they do it. A buddy of mine who was in the service was in Korea for a while and got hooked on real Korean Kimchi. IT TORE HIM UP... if he wasn't rolling on the floor in agony afterwards he was blowing everything he had eaten in his life out the back end... and he knew it. He knew he was going to suffer and he did it anyway.

Even when it gets to drinking...
People who drink themselves into oblivion, knowing that the next day is going to be a horrible experience... People who drink until they are total alcoholics, it is not like they didn't know what was going to happen, yet, the world is filled with them....

It makes me wonder if there isn't part of lemming DNA in the mix that leads us to such self destructive actions...

It is a part of the human nature that I have never understood.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,242 Posts
It makes me wonder if there isn't part of lemming DNA in the mix that leads us to such self destructive actions...

Well.....speaking from experience, yes a lot of it painful. Helen Keller said it fairly well. ""Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing".

Also needing to know what Inspector "Harry Callahan" said, "A man has simply got to know his limits".

I will say, I find my limits are constantly shifting, especially as I get very old. Still, "a man needs to know his limits", and so I find myself regularly re-checking whether my limits have shifted or not shifted. It is hard to explain, but some just need to live on the edge, and regularly step over the edge. It is not done to impress anyone, generally there is no one around. It is just that I look at it and I wonder, well what if...??? And at some point I simple need to know the answer. So I proceed, and the result is the result.

My guess is that I have not helped answer your question. I think this might be a good way to explain. I know where the edge is, but I don't know if that is really the edge, or if the edge is just beyond where I think. And there is this craving to know where the edge is, even if it is fatal, the edge must be known. It just eat me away not knowing, and at some point you accept you either do-it and then you know. Or you are compelled to accept maybe for ever and ever the truth that I was not able to know for sure where the edge was. Plus remember the edge is ever shifting. "Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing".

It is not about impressing anyone or even impressing yourself. There is no satisfaction, there is only the calm knowingness of knowing. The only reward, if it can be called a reward, is that "Now you know".....and for some that is priceless.

Note......I should point out that for me it was never any of the things mentioned in the original post, or anything going into my body. Sadly for me it has been much more horrific and not comprehendible to to others as to "Why".

·
Super Moderator
66,002 Posts
I eat hot foods because I like them. You build a tolerance to them over time. I also love kimchi and make it myself. I don't know why it effected your friend like that, but I agree with you about wondering why he kept doing it. I know my limits on hot foods usually and don't eat so much that it tears me up. I guess some people don't, or like to push the limits.

What I don't understand are the drug addicts. Heroin for example. Who in their right mind shoots up the first time, KNOWING it hooks literally everyone who uses it? Do they honestly think they will be the one person in the world that doesn't get addicted?

As for the understanding human nature part. I doubt anyone understands it. And I figure if someone ever truly did understand human nature, they'd vomit long and hard. Just witnessing it is hard enough.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
some might do it to entertain others, like the hot pepper thing.

foods that make you sick and alcohol, that is more of limited will power issue. they just want it now - and they can have it, so they will. later consequences don't matter. difficult people to know, since - well, imagine how they manage the rest of their life.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
5,220 Posts
Habeneros. Yummy Haberneros and Scotch Bonnets. Just dont get them in your eyes.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,419 Posts
Maybe its God's way of making life interesting :rolleyes:

One thing I know though as I'm sure y'all know this too....

Never underestimate stupidity in people!

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
People who drink themselves into oblivion, knowing that the next day is going to be a horrible experience... People who drink until they are total alcoholics, it is not like they didn't know what was going to happen, yet, the world is filled with them....

I can’t really explain the hot sauce, but as far as this goes I think there’s a significant amount of attempting to self medicate depression going on.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,071 Posts
I try to read labels... if the label says:

WARNING: Consumption of this product may result in blowing everything you've ever eaten in your life out your back end.

.... I normally put it back on the shelf. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Tantal88

·
Threepin'
4,002 Posts
Some people like having fun. Everyone defines it differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cornly2

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well.....speaking from experience, yes a lot of it painful. Helen Keller said it fairly well. ""Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing".

Also needing to know what Inspector "Harry Callahan" said, "A man has simply got to know his limits".

I will say, I find my limits are constantly shifting, especially as I get very old. Still, "a man needs to know his limits", and so I find myself regularly re-checking whether my limits have shifted or not shifted. It is hard to explain, but some just need to live on the edge, and regularly step over the edge. It is not done to impress anyone, generally there is no one around. It is just that I look at it and I wonder, well what if...??? And at some point I simple need to know the answer. So I proceed, and the result is the result.

My guess is that I have not helped answer your question. I think this might be a good way to explain. I know where the edge is, but I don't know if that is really the edge, or if the edge is just beyond where I think. And there is this craving to know where the edge is, even if it is fatal, the edge must be known. It just eat me away not knowing, and at some point you accept you either do-it and then you know. Or you are compelled to accept maybe for ever and ever the truth that I was not able to know for sure where the edge was. Plus remember the edge is ever shifting. "Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing".

It is not about impressing anyone or even impressing yourself. There is no satisfaction, there is only the calm knowingness of knowing. The only reward, if it can be called a reward, is that "Now you know".....and for some that is priceless.

Note......I should point out that for me it was never any of the things mentioned in the original post, or anything going into my body. Sadly for me it has been much more horrific and not comprehendible to to others as to "Why".
I CAN understand that.... sort of.
I volunteered for just about everything I ever did in my life that had anything to do with danger. But it had nothing to do with finding the edge, it had to do with pitting myself against "the other guy(s)". Who was going to be the one to survive the situation and who was going to be bagged and tagged. It was much more of "who is better" I never thought about it as "can I do this and live" SO, while I thought nothing of going on a sneak, alone into places where I probably shouldn't have been able to return... I refused to get involved with jumping from a perfectly good airplane with a glorified handkerchief on my back. And thought nothing about hanging over oblivion while standing on a skid as we banked our way into the heart of darkness.
I thought nothing of going into a house as lead to ferret out a multiple murderer, yet I will not set foot into any body of water where I am not the biggest body in the water. While some would see my choices absurd, the difference is control. I have no qualms going up against an enemy I CAN SEE, but who knows what lurks beneath the waves, unseen and mindless.

Dealing with nature has always been the same way. I would much rather go out into the bush alone than go with even another fairly skilled person, just because it is no longer MY CHALLENGE.. or trek or adventure, . I can deal with it as it comes at me.

but
all that is different than basically shooting ones self in the foot on purpose.

Never did drugs.
Only been drunk once in my life and that was by accident. I was mellowing along but still capable of all functions, just relaxing. Then my allergies kicked in, I popped an allergy pill, next thing I knew my GF was driving me to her house while I puked over the side of my Corvette and woke up on her couch. NEVER let that happen again. I can see pushing limits, but not self induced ingest of anything that would reduce me to being incapable of a response that would require a close to maximum effort.

And I really understand the age thing. I have a 71 year old body that has been through...A LOT. Car and motorcycle accidents alone leave me sounding like castanets in the morning as I start to loosen things up. Topped off with years of street fights, and some mornings are more interesting than others. But, mentally I am still thinking I am in my 30s and can still do the same things and I hate coming up to the limit where my body tells me "WHOA.. are you crazy?"

But for the ingestion of anything on a voluntary basis that renders you in pain much longer than it could ever give you pleasure...
?????????:confused::confused:

·
That'll be the day...
3,275 Posts
Simply put....

Life is really tough.

Most need some type of vice or medication to make it through.

Most don't want to hear this, but a person's emptiness in their soul is root cause to find ways to survive life and society. And that is why they look to ANYTHING that can help them through the challenge, be it Chocolate Cake or a gallon of Vodka or an Amazon purchase every 24 hours or all of the above.

·
Registered
10,818 Posts
I used to love hot spicy food and it never really bothered me. I also ate pretty much what the locals ate whenever I was in another country (loved authentic Mexican and a few places further South-darn good food.

Never had a bad issue in SE Asia although I don't think I'll ever try Balut again. ;) I didn't exactly love Kimchi, but it was good and I'll eat it.But spicy food is great although I have to temper recipes a little these days. I do prep spices and have a lot tucked away. I don't remember who the guy was that spoke on that subject. But he made a lot of sense.

·
Indefatigable
19,787 Posts
Everyone does something they KNOW is not good for them, or is going to hurt. The key is moderation. I KNOW that Coke is not good for me but I have one once a month or so anyhow. Now, if I had diabetes and still did it, that would be stupid.
Hubby just reached the age where he is starting to notice his body rebelling at certain things. He used to eat 3-4 hot links at a setting and he could eat them 3 times a week. Now he can eat one, of only certain brands, once a month and he still knows he is going to pay. I guess when that experience gets too bad, he will stop.
Just like running. For the 20+ years I have known him, he's been running on pavement. After on again, off again runs because of knee pain, he finally started running on an indoor track and his pain is gone. BUT he still wants to run outside and he does sometimes, knowing he won't be on the track for the next 3 or 4 days.
Habit, it's mostly habit.

·
Psalm 37:28
721 Posts
I can’t really explain the hot sauce, but as far as this goes I think there’s a significant amount of attempting to self medicate depression going on.
This.

I know people for whom this is precisely the case. Alcohol, marijuana, pills... All to self-medicate depression. They know the outcome and the cost and do it anyway because they calculate that it's better than the alternative, which is soul-sucking, crippling depression. What they really need is professional help, which can be incredibly expensive, and there's this weird thing with depression where they sometimes aren't even motivated to get real help (lack of motivation comes with depression) until someone they trust pushes them to do it. It can be a vicious cycle. One of my good friends is this way to a degree, and a friend of hers is much, much worse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts