Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly i do NOT claim to be the most knowledgeable here, or anywhere.

That being said i see where people will ask for advice on various weapons. SO to those people i say join a gun club or go to an indoor range, rent weapon is your pirce range and buy what you feel confortable with! If your not sure of yourself with the weapon it aint gonna do ya no good. And i dont care if your using a 10/22, a 12g or an AR.... In practiced hands you CAN get the same desired effect from each of these.

So when getting your first gun, or another gun take a few moments to consider a few points...

1. Your experience with what you THINK you want.
2. Your price range.
3. Whats to be used for.
4. Do you alreadt have something that covers the reasons for buying the new gun?
5. Is a NEED, or is it a GREED purchase?
6. Does it fit your body type?
7. Are there spare parts and ammo/accessories readily available for it IN YOUR PRICE RANGE?

These are just afew points to consider. By all means please help me to enlighten those who are new and maybe just a bit gun shy or over whelmed by all the "This gun is better than that gun" BS.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Having been around the block a few times, I have grown to feel that a person should have at least 3 different weapons available to them. The first firearm is a good, reliable scoped rifle in medium caliber like a .308 or 30.06. Keep in mind that 7.62 NATO equates to being in the .308 family of calibers. The second firearm a person needs to have is a medium or large bore pistol. The pistol is used for close range personal protection and should not be used as a primary firearm. In other words, sort of think of the pistol as a back-up to your shoulder weapons. The third and last firearm is a good shotgun of some sort. You set the shotgun up so you can use it for devastating close range defensive work or so you can hunt wild game, both big and small, with it for food. With those 3 firearms a person is set up pretty well to handle about anything that pops up in front of them.

One of the most reliable and better priced options is a good AK type rifle in 7.62 by 39 millimeters. You mount a scope on this type of rifle and you can use it to hunt deer, feral hogs and for personal defense. But you have to also understand that this rifle is not a cure-all because no rifle and no one caliber of cartridge is perfect for all jobs. But, over all, the 7.62 X 39 works well for the majority of hunting needs and personal protection needs most people will ever have.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you 100%. My post was more intended for people with the old question "Which is best..." so that they can kinda start to answer it for themselves.

A good SKS can be 400$+ these days. Not everyone can afford that mush to start. So in answering a few simple questions for themselves they can narrow the field some.

Maybe we can start some sort of thread like.....
"Best gun for the buck?"

Do something like what is best in the 0-100$ range, 101-200$. 201-300 etc... I know there will be about 10 zillion anwsers... but it will give some price range ideas for folks.

/shrug

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good comments Herd Sniper. Rifles and guns are tools and they all have limitations and advantages.

Dropy I think I get your point but the comment "In practiced hands you CAN get the same desired effect from each of these." From a technical point of view this statement is (obviously) is not correct.

But I think that you really meant that practice is very important, regardless of what you are shooting and in that respect I agree.

Having an expensive weapon and not knowing it's limitations, your own limitations and how to use it effectively is most important.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good comments Herd Sniper. Rifles and guns are tools and they all have limitations and advantages.

Dropy I think I get your point but the comment "In practiced hands you CAN get the same desired effect from each of these." From a technical point of view this statement is (obviously) is not correct.

But I think that you really meant that practice is very important, regardless of what you are shooting and in that respect I agree.

Having an expensive weapon and not knowing it's limitations, your own limitations and how to use it effectively is most important.

Ok, yeah you got the jist of it. I need to learn to explain things better. Kinda always been an issue with me on message boards.

And yes form a technical standpoint all of these have limitations, advantages and disadvantages that are obvious to most people. I guesse what i meant is that if all you feel confortable with is a 10/22 and a snubby .38 then get em. They better than a stick and rock tied together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts