Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on the look out for a new 2 - 3 day pack, I came across the Maxpedition Vulture II. Like everything else made by Maxpedition, the quality and workmanship is outstanding.

I'll probably attach a couple of pouches to extend the pack and make it more flexible.

The Vulture II has a capacity of around 2810 cubic inches, has a large main compartment and 2 good sized outer compartments.

The PALS webbing on the belt is a nice feature, that way you can keep cell phones, GPS, pepper spray or compass close at hand.

The pack has lashing points on the bottom to attach a sleeping pad or a sleeping bag.

In the video the Vulture II is taken on a short hike to see how well it carries and what kind of gear you can carry in the pack. A one man tent fit perfect across the bottom, but a 32 degree sleeping bag would not fit in the pack. So sleeping bags will hav to be strapped on the bottom.

Attachments

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts

love mine ive added two Molle 2 woodland camo pouches on the side
1 maxpedition monkey admin pouch and 1 molle 2 sustainment pouch and I still think its gonna be just too small.
Still have to add clothes and food and sleeping system.
Mine is more for 72 hour bag/bob.
But its a really hardcore use design.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Have the same pack in the same color. Love it, I've used it on multible 3-4 day outings in warm weather. I have a 40 degree ultra-light sleeping bag that fits in a compression sack strapped underneath and my solo bivi fits inside. Plenty of room for food, gear and my handgun.. Anyone that reads this: you will not be disappointed with this pack.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Thanks Kev!

Good one, Kev. Vulture II is the best of the 3 Day packs out there.

Here are a couple more from Trevor Gwynn on the Vulture II and it's use as a BOB. Very good and informative.

·
land of the free?
662 Posts
How much does this pack run for? Is there anyway to strap a larger tent like a 2-3 person tent to the pack without it being a pain?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
How much does this pack run for? Is there anyway to strap a larger tent like a 2-3 person tent to the pack without it being a pain?
$150 or so from Maxpedition (Hydration Bladder not included). Just over $100 from various dealers. Google it.

2 Man tent can go on the top or the bottom pretty well. So can a Bivvy sack. I don't like sharp or hard objects poking around inside my pack. Strap em' down outside.

·
land of the free?
662 Posts
$150 or so from Maxpedition (Hydration Bladder not included). Just over $100 from various dealers. Google it.

2 Man tent can go on the top or the bottom pretty well. So can a Bivvy sack. I don't like sharp or hard objects poking around inside my pack. Strap em' down outside.
*edit* Nvm watched your vid and saw there was straps. thanks

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
What would make this pack with its 130-150 price tag superior to say http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3-day-backpack1.html with only a 30 price tag?
Vastly superior workmanship. Better stiching, better organization inside. The Y compression strap. Better belt w/ attachments. The Vulture II is the best of the 3 Day types out there.

However, the Diplomat is a decent pack and rates high for the $ you spend. The molle attachments don't appear to be as solid and there are not as many compression straps on the side, etc.

As a rule, I don't like zippers on my heavy load packs but the Vulture II is pretty good because you can compress it with the straps, taking pressure off the zippers. I have the Blackhawk version and it's very good. Eagle made the original 3 Day system back in the early 90's.

·
land of the free?
662 Posts
Vastly superior workmanship. Better stiching, better organization inside. The Y compression strap. Better belt w/ attachments. The Vulture II is the best of the 3 Day types out there.

However, the Diplomat is a decent pack and rates high for the $ you spend. The molle attachments don't appear to be as solid and there are not as many compression straps on the side, etc.

As a rule, I don't like zippers on my heavy load packs but the Vulture II is pretty good because you can compress it with the straps, taking pressure off the zippers. I have the Blackhawk version and it's very good. Eagle made the original 3 Day system back in the early 90's.
I understand your reasoning I just cannot really justify spending that much. Do you have any idea of pack in the $80-90 range? The reason im asking is I am returning a backpacking backpack and will get about that much. Id like somthing a bit more tacticl and on the smaller side but still able to carry a backpacking tent and sleeping bag. If you have anything that would fit that description id love for you or anyone to post up a link thanks!:)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I understand your reasoning I just cannot really justify spending that much. Do you have any idea of pack in the $80-90 range? The reason im asking is I am returning a backpacking backpack and will get about that much. Id like somthing a bit more tacticl and on the smaller side but still able to carry a backpacking tent and sleeping bag. If you have anything that would fit that description id love for you or anyone to post up a link thanks!:)

Hmmm. Tough one. Gunbroker has vendors selling Blackhawk 3 Day packs for about $100. I like mine very much and found it on there for $45 a few months ago. I also just bought Becker Patrol Pack Molle for $75 last week.

I would think that Diplomat Pack will be okay for you. Just don't over do it. Watch the sharp and hard items. Like I said, I buckle them down outside.

Here is another I know to be okay.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=143452826

·
land of the free?
662 Posts
Thanks 14DFA, I picked up the Diplomat gear bag from LA police gear. I will be doing a review on it when I get time.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I got mine last Friday.

I love the way it spreads the weight out so evenly... very comfortable, but I haven't really loaded it down yet - I only had about 25 lbs so far.

It is some very tough material for sure - should last a long time.

On the flip side the stiffness & flaps over all the zippers make getting stuff out more of a challenge, but that is a small price to pay for the quality & protection of your gear.

I do wish it had some more pockets inside...

I was surprised at how bright the green is - the Youtube videos & pics on the Web were all a more bland color of green. I went to the maxpedition site & the little color square by the bag is acurate, but it is different than even the larger picture on their site. I still like it, but I think they've changed it in the newer bags & this bag would be easy to spot in the forrest in the winter time unless you hide under a cedar tree.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts