Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at buying a vulture ii but idk what color would be better black or olive drab? im thinking the black one when out in the sun for long periods would attract more heat from the sun? i would appreciate some opinions thanks

·
Livin' the freekin' dream
428 Posts
Well that was one of my determining factors when I purchased my pack. Knowing how hot and humid Ohio summers can get I decided to stay away from black. More for the ability to be able to keep my hydration from becoming warm much quicker.

Also you never know how excessive heat will adversely effect anything else that you may be wanting to put in there. Make sure you read labels of anything that you will be adding.

Unfortunately, I am not really aware of what your summers are like, and I know your winters are a little worse than ours. So maybe soaking up some sun and heat is exactly what you want?

Good luck. Nice choice of pack too.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Ok you got a good feed about the black in the sun. Now lets teach you about camo. Nothing, with maybe the exception of fishers and black bear is black in nature. A green pack in today's society is looked upon as semi normal. And it will give you an added concealment factor. Hope this helps.

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
I agree, I would go with an earth tone. Even in todays society I think it would fit in fine. I have a Falcon II in khaki/foilage and I think it fits in fine...great pack too BTW:thumb:

·
2,978 Posts
What paramil^^ said...

Most of my stuff is whatever form of green is available, be it OD or foliage, etc.

I prefer the solid greens as opposed to the camo patterns. If they stand out at all, they don't stand out as much as a camo pattern pack.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea summers here can get pretty hot and humid too. winters well i can just imagine hahaha. id say we probly get very simular weather besides winter this past week we got down to -17 with windchill. but yea i been taking into consideration the weather when packing my bag. im making mine more of a survival pack alot of things that have atleast 3 or more uses. thanks paramil for the advice im pretty sure im gonna go with the vullture in olive drab or foliage green.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
cant imagine that it would make that big of a difference. maybe a few degrees. Im not a fanboy of overpriced bags. 2 things I go cheap on are bags and flashlights. Oh I know I will die because I didnt drop $135 on a chinese made $20 bag and another $150 on the awesomest Fenix or Streamlight, etc etc pocket torch. But maybe because I spent $50 and not $300, my $250 worth of food and ammo will get me by and my epic maxpedition fail wont be my demise.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to have a bag for long term survival so id rather make sure i got quality stuff. also im gonna be using it as a hiking pack for possibly 5 or more days. before you say its only a 3-5 day pack im packing it with the basics no tent, sleeping bag, mini stove. im just packing things that have atleast 2 or 3 different uses.

·
Semper Fidelis.
327 Posts
OD green fasho. Its a universal camo and fits well in any environment. Well, I'm not so sure about snowy places... Nice pack.. I wanted to buy one too.

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
With the understanding that the purchase you make is not a democracy, I vote for OD green. I personally mix olive drab, sage, medium gray and dark earth. I don't get the looks that camo brings and I get almost all of the advantages. If and when I am in AZ or TX I carry and wear coyote tan, tan and dark earth. To be honest, after a few days of mixing it up in training or whatever, everyone seems to be wearing whatever the color of the local mud is anyway. Black is just too dark. I stands out in nature, gets too hot and gets dirty quick-telling everyone where you have been for the last few days.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ordered a vulture ii earlier this week hopefully gettin it on friday. got it in olive drab just seems like it would blend in better in the woods or in the brush. i think this pack will be perfect for me. i heard people say it was big for them but im 225 really athletic big guy so i can carry a heavy pack and not worry about it.

·
Anti-Raider Patrol
413 Posts
I realize I'm in here a little too late. I have one and honestly wish it was bigger. I do want to carry a small tent and one change of clothes. There's just not enough room. I have 2 mre's a couple Mountain House meals, pot, mrs stove and one butane cartridge, knife, first aid, etc, etc. Nothing really fancy or bulky but there's just not enough room.

I know it's all relative and it will be plenty for some. With that said it's an awsome pack. I got khaki to match most of my other Maxpedition stuff. It's just not big enough for what I want in a bob/ghb.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea what im gonna pack into it is basiclly the bare esentials and multipurpose equipment. like im gonna use my canteen cup as my main cooking dish, have a trap and space blanket because i seen on dual survival a really effective shelter to stay really warm. bit basiclly everything in my packs gonna have atleast 2 or 3 uses.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea did alot of research on the pack before i bought it so seen pretty much all the vids on youtube about it. was gonna get it in black but then thought when out in the sun for a long time it would get really hot and melt or heat up anything in the pack which could be bad. od green is what i got and im thinking is yea itll still get warm/hot but not as hot as the black one. but from what i hear cant go wrong with the pack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like my OD pygmy! I can't set it down for too long lest I either lose it or my buddy try to snatch it up and keep it for himself.. I sure like the Maxpedition gear! Having said all that, I'm in Texas and thought about heat for a short while, but eventually decided that I like the blending ability of plain olive in case that ever became an issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts