Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so ive got my new backpack at last,

I transfered what gear I have from my old rucksack to the new one which is fine but now i realize packing this baby with everything i need for a 72 hour scenario is gonna take some serious planning and organizing to fit everything in.
I can see straight away im gonna need 2-3 of the smaller packs to attach to the main backpack to increase space and speed of access.
I guess an outside first aid kit, fire kit and food kit would be handy?
can someone give a break down of their kit into the main headings

Fire
Food
Shelter
First aid
Misc
and list what you would put in each section that is a bare minimum of kit.
I want to take enough of the right gear and not overload with useless gear.
so to recap a 72 hour kit with the bear bones of gear to survive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's great, I am so envious! Right now I am stuck between buying the vulture ii and the 5.11 tactical rush 72 pack, I am a bit concerned about the backpack dimensions since the maxpedition backpacks tend to be smaller from what the website pictures show (got a malaga and a fatboy.) I am particularly interested in the ways you can attach a shelter. Do you mind sharing some pics of your setup? You would save me a very long trip to the store :p

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have an Eagle Becker Patrol Pack but I also have Maxpedition pouches in it, on it and on my belt as well. I recently reconfigured and repacked it.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/popup_image.php?type=D&id=704&title=Becker Patrol Pack&area=C

Vulture II is very similarly sized and has near identical capacity. Keep your main food inside the pack. Read below how. Hydration layer closest to you and kitchen gear or medical on the outside. Water bottle, Navigational and fixed blade knife go well on your belt strap unless they are already on your web/trouser belt.

Weapons/ammo are carried on your person.

Here is what is in mine.

My main compartment actually holds a 22" x 10" x 6" thin tupperware box that fits nice and snug into the pack itself. I organize most of my food in there to minimize the very real problems with animals and condensation. Minute rice packs, broth, skinless smoked salmon, canned tuna, spagetti, nut rolls and condiments are crammed into the box. Up to 10 days of food. Compartment also holds a thin grill that acts as a frame. Stuff pockets inside hold (3) pr. UnderArmour socks, (2) pr. boxers, Long T shirt and old pair of Nike Air Socks. (Box weighs 8-12 lbs.)

I have a hatchet and collapsible grill stuffed into the side slit pocket (2 lbs), Maxpedition 5x7x4 pouch w/snacks or tackle mounted w/ tac ties above it and the other side carries a rod case w/ custom 5 pc. 8 wt. fly rod, casting rod and reels.(3 lbs). Above it is another Maxpedition 5x7x4 pouch with lighter fluid, Shoe Goop, seam seal, HD sewing kit, paracord, 300 yd. spool 30 lb. Tuff-line, snares, flies, split shot, sinking flyline and others things. (1lb)

Side pouch carries (5) AUG 42 rd mags (8lbs) in one and my new Maxpedition FR-1 Medical pouch in the other. The FR-1 pouch is stuffed and fits perfect. It's free for me to pass it on to someone or to put in a smaller daypack, etc. Trauma kit, Steri-strips, sutures, handbook, steth, good meds, Oragel, bandages, Epi-pen, LED flashlight, batts, gloves, bug juice, mosquito net, scissors, matches, lighters. (3lbs)

Back pouches carry my Stove/kitchen kit/fuel cells, matches and lighter in one pouch and water bladder, water filter(s), and tablets in a stuff sack in the other. Can drop my pack and be cooking in 3 minutes. (3lbs.)

Upper back pouches carry filtered water bottle, waterproof case for GPS, Radio, or phone. 50' Paracord/carbiners drapes between them. (2 lbs.)

Alice webbing above lower back pouches has a 9"x5"x3" pouch attached w/ tac ties that holds Flashlight, knife steel, camp tool, vice grips, and lots spare 123/AA batts. (2 lbs.)

Flap pouch holds another water bladder, chicken wire, long antenna and ghillie veil. (1lbs.)

My bivvy sack and tarp (2lbs.) goes on top of the pack.

Rolly Polly Mega dump pouch for mags, kindling or game on web belt or to waist belt. Rolly Polly Water bottle pouch on either side of waist. (1lb)

45lbs when it's all full and ready to go. Take away ammo, kitchen kit and it's down to less than 35.

I can fit my waders on the pack as well. Can also carry a folding camp chair, 2 man tent, extra supplies or heavier sleeping bag in a compression sack. If I need to I can take it all but it hits 60lbs + which is pushing the comfort factor pretty hard for that pack.

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow great information thanks.
so in total how many extra pouches have you added to get that capacity?
Im way off having all that kinda gear as ive only recently started collecting but its given me a great point in the right direction.
thanks.

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the other thing is I live in Canada and guns seem not to be allowed here....Im actually a Brit so its the same as there. Im amazed when I read some posts of all the weapons you guys can purchase(amazed=jealous) lol

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I took the bag out of the box my first thought was, wow this is too small, Ive been ripped off, then after taking a better looked and expanding the bag from the inside it actually started to get bigger!
Im definately gonna have to add about 3 pouches to maximize my options, with some practice in packing It should make a decent sized 72 hour pack.
The construction seems good and mine is OD green which is a good colour.
Theres molle attachements on the bottom you can strap a small tent/sleeping bag to but I dont have either yet to try it.
if you look on you tube and search for ..maxpedition vulture II theres some great reviews and video on the bags, loaded and unloaded.
Once i get mine all sorted Ill put pictures or video on here if I can figure out how...lol

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
That was my issue with the pack, size. I am looking at the Kelty Redwing 3,100 but I am wondering if that is going to be an issue as well in terms of size. I think that I need something that is going to be 4,000 cubic inches plus but no more than 4,500. I need it for a BOB as well as for back country hiking and camping so a sleeping bag and tent need to go on it. I love the "tactical" nature of the Vulture II but I need to keep myself from getting caught up in that and go for function and "toughness" which I know the Kelty packs have as well.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I think you can still own some kind of shotgun/rifle in Canada. Best talk to another Candaian about what to get as they know better what's legal and available than I. Since you're a limey, I don't know what the rules are there. A Mossberg 590A1 and a .22LR seems sensible.

With the specs on Vulture II, just get a filtered water bottle and water filter system. You have 100 oz hydration layer already and you can carry an a spare in the pack.

Maybe a couple Maxpedition 5x7x2" pouches for utility, snacks, survival kit on the back attachments. The bigger pouch might be a little too bulky but for you to decide. It will hold (2) pouches so get them. FR-1 jam packed for medical. Looking at the sides, I see you can carry a rod case, Special Forces shovel/ E-tool, snow shoes, skis or fins attached. FR-1 pouch would be on the side for me.

Shelter/Tent/bivvy sack/sleeping bag, tarps, rope, other stuff strapped tightly and securely to the outside of your pack. Food, bladders, cookware and filters need protection, so they go inside. Can always stage some food in a pouch on your belt. Be sure to use the Y strap to take pressure off the zippers. They will eventually pop if you don't.

I strongly feel that the tupperware solution is the perfect way to organize your food supply. Measure the dims and look for a box that fits. Mine is 6" longer than my compartment but I have a top loader w/ adjustable straps, so it holds a lot more than specs say and I still have more to work with.

Nut roll recipes' are great. Canned tuna is cheap and what's more healthy than fish and rice? I carry a good bag of my own trail mix. MRE's are ok when stripped down. You can always take box out and use it for something else but this way it allows you to keep food clean, dry, secure, organized and it all goes back in quickly without a mess or being squished.

I like my stove but my cookware needs more space than the pack has so I am looking for some different cooking stuff.

You can find other brand pouches for med kits, water and utilities. Don't have to be Navy Seal issue but make sure zippers are good because if they fail, near impossible to fix out there. 5.11 is cheap and durable and they have good stuff. My ditty bag for fishing is 14 years old.

GPS, maps, compass or nav gear should be on your belt or shoulder straps for quick access. Maybe another belt pouch for quick snacks.

That's about it. Maybe another $150 for 3-4 pouches and 1-2 hydration bladders.

·
Prepared
13 Posts
I have a Vulture II with the M-4 pouch attached to the front and the Large water bottle pouch on the side and looking to buy a Medical pouch (F.I.G.H.T) for the other side also i just use straps on the bottom to hold my shelter making stuff.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have a Vulture II with the M-4 pouch attached to the front and the Large water bottle pouch on the side and looking to buy a Medical pouch (F.I.G.H.T) for the other side also i just use straps on the bottom to hold my shelter making stuff.
I see you are in Australia. What kind of shelter do you have or make?

·
Registered
51 Posts
This thread is a little old but was wondering, having a vulture-II myself, if anyone had found some other great pouch combo for the vulture. I am specifically on the market for a big bottom pouch that can be strapped to the bottom of the vulture. I usually use this spot to strap my sleeping bag but would like to find a big compartment that I could leave strapped to the backpack and just unzip and get the sleeping bag out (or whatever there is inside). I usually have a water pouch on 1 side, a mini rolly polly on the other side for a second 1L nalgene and a good size condor pouch that cover all the back between the 2 nalgene pouch. I dont see how I can optimize space without finding a big pouch to strap on the bottom of the pack.

Maybe something approx the same size of the vulture itself.. except the height.. and i am also open to any other way to extend the 46L of my vulture. otherwise i'll have to get another bigger pack.

I got a local supplier of 5.11 gear.. and got a lot of maxpedition bag already but can't try or see any maxpedition gear before buying them and take a chance. My small baron duffle bag is too big.. I may replace the condor pouch for my proetus.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
This thread is a little old but was wondering, having a vulture-II myself, if anyone had found some other great pouch combo for the vulture. I am specifically on the market for a big bottom pouch that can be strapped to the bottom of the vulture.
AKpredator and I were talking about this not long ago. The accessory pack kit from Blackhawk is also compatable with the Vulture II.

Blackhawk still sells the accessory side pouches for the 3 day pack, but they discontinued the compression bag that used to be sold as a three pouch/bag kit.

You can however, still find them available on-line. You can pick them up for $60-$75 for the 3 pc. kit.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hmm. Well, like Raven said, the compression sack and accessory pouches are great and you already have other attachments. I believe you might be pushing the comfort zone on that particular pack with a large bag unless it is really light.

The Vulture II/3 day packs are fine the way they are. They do okay with a hammock or a small tent strapped down outside but If you are looking to really increase it, then you ought to get something bigger.

Cheftothestars got hisself a Marine ILBE pack, which has an internal frame and holds about twice the gear. Can find them for less than a Vulture II online.

I am hoping Maxpedition will make something with an internal frame and around 4000 ci.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts