Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to retire my eddie bauer back pack and have thought about a versi pak as an EDC/GHB or invest in a regular back pack like a pygmy or falcon. I don't think I need a hydration feature. My goal is to have it with me all the time in my SUV. I live in CT and will be adjusting contents to go with the season. Since the capacity varies from versi pack to back pack what essentials go with each?
Suggestions & recomendations will be helpful.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi,
i think everyone will have a different opinion, but i use the condor II for my edc/ghb

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=106&idcategory=12

i used to use the kodiak gearslinger until i tried hiking ten miles in the mountains with it. the condor II has plenty of room; i've added a couple pouches and the water bottle pouch attachment. i'll get around to a full review sometime soon.

anyway, i carry about 25 pounds of stuff in my edc including (depending on season) cold weather gear, fire gear, 'survival' gear, my pistol and ammo (can't carry at work), water filter etc. (don't sell yourself short on needing a water bladder. they don't weigh much and boy it would be a lot easier to have one and not need it than find yourself wishing you had one at some later point). it bears the load well; I do wish the shoulder straps were wider, but it does fine with the weight i use.

if you are looking for something to haul lighter weight, i'm sure the versipacks would be fine. i own a crazy amount of maxped stuff, and i haven't found anything to complain about (eh maybe price :p). if you are looking for a truck back, i'd recommend the one i use, but others here also seem to like the vulture II a lot as well. it holds pretty much everything i think i might need to get me home, but i do keep a separate bag in the vehicle with more tool oriented equipment.

hope this helps!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
If you do not need a LOT of room, take a look at the falcon II, falcon II pygmy, and the Condor II.

If your looking for just a day hiking pack, the pygmy might fit the bill - its slightly smaller then the full sized falcon II. Instead of a water bladder, it has 2 pouches for 32 ounce water bottles

Comparing the Maxpedition Falcon II and Falcon II pygmy

Close up of the maxpedition Falcon II pygmy

Close up of the Falcon II

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
just take all your EDC items, and toss them all into a plastic bag.
this will give you an idea of what size bag you need. take the largest item and get a bag around that, ie: an ASUS 1005 Netbook. once you figure out the space needed for that, the rest will follow.:)

personally for me, i will be going with a maxpedition colossus. i looked at the jumbo & fatboy; for me, they weren't 'modular' enough.
for example: id rather add an exterior pouch(zippered) to a colossus rather than have a bottle holder(like the jumbo). i REALLY like the 10x5 bottle holder.:D: then on the other side i can put something else, like a first aid pouch. this will leave the rest of the interior of the colossus for the rest of my gear.
the only thing i dont like about the colossus is that it has velcro on the front of the bag; i'd rather have molle attachment points for more options.
while the jumbo is great, i prefer to have options.
my hardest decision is what color to choose. black is too tactical, and gets dirty real fast. green looks to military, so that leaves the tan. i wish they had grey.

this is for my EDC or get home bag. NOT to be confused with my BOB.

good luck with your search. mine is over.:D:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went with the Mongo from MaxPed for my daily bag (GHB).
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/MONGO-S-TYPE-VERSIPACK-4p1344.htm
Great ability to organize items with lots of seperate compartments. It is larger than the Jumbo, Fatboy, and the Colossus. I love the bag. More of a messenger bag size and look than the Murse (Man-purse) in appearance.

As for the tacticool look - I personally don't think any one of the colors makes it any more tactical appearing. All of the attachment points, which improves the functionality of the MaxPed products for those interested, may make someone think "tactical" if any thing. If your dressed tactical and carrying a MaxPed type bag --you're sure to get more attention from those that understand ways to dress and carry for the 'just in case' incidences. The bag by itself isn't any worse than carrying a Camelbak Cloud Walker which is my other bag.
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/camelbak/cloud-walker/
I think we, those who choose to be prepared, are far more conscience of how we look to others than those who are unprepared. We are aware of others who dress the tacticool way more than I believe others are able to identify the look.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I use a Pygmy Falcon for my daylong fishing trips as it's pretty light and it just carries food, water, Jetboil Kit, lights, tools, rain gear, radio, GPS, FAK and dump pouches for more if needed. I think it's the best deal out there for a heavy duty daypack.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just to add to my previous post...
The versipacks are not backpacks. I couldn't see myself having to carry the Mongo fully loaded for hours on end. The Mongo is well padded and vented but it simply won't balance like regular styles of backpacks. Packs like the Pygmy are great for their size, storage capabilities, and carrying ability - especially since you're looking for a EDC/GHB. The Mongo suits my day to day carry needs for work and evening college. I carry my CCW/extras, immediate survival needs, and items for work/school. I trust it to last through YEARS of use and abuse.

I wouldn't choose to take the Mongo on a hiking trip when there are many other backpack choices that would carry better right in my closet. The versi style packs are well suited for light EDC or car bag. I hope I'm giving you a clear picture of the benefits and the limitations of versipacks in general.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just bought a Mongo as my EDC bag replacing my briefcase. So far it has more than enough room but I haven't started adding the GH gear. I will find out how it handles as an afternoon hike bag also. Seems to carry well and with the body strap attached I think it would be like a butt pack when slung around back.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I used a light daypack for the academy a couple years ago. I think they were Jansports but not sure. My water bottle kept falling out of the mesh pouch, it was really uncomfortable with even 10lbs. of our books in there and we route marched 1-3 miles in formation every day. Mine eventually developed a small tear in the bottom corner but it made it through. I left it hangin in my room.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, 1st post here. I know I'm way late on this thread but the Maxpedition topic seems to keep coming up so this is still relevent.

I have a Maxpedition Jumbo that I bought primarily as a day bag to carry a small first aid kit, small food supply, 32 oz water container, pistol and misc. gear (compass, maps, etc). I also use this bag when I'm grouse/pheasant hunting because I like the fact that my right shoulder is exposed to the buttstock and not obstructed by a shoulder strap. Plus, I can carry a decent first aid kit, pliers, etc just in case my dog get's into something far enough out.

Honestly, my review of this bag is that it's an uncomfortable way to carry your gear for extended periods of time. A full day with a full pack will torque your back/shoulder bad enough to need a visit to the chiro. I'm not much of a gram sissy but, the distribution of weight will be a big disadvantage if you're trying to cover some ground. However, I am willing to trade that for the versitility I get when hunting and for the speed of entry when traveling with my family. Plus, your pack weight will decrease thoughout the day as you consume food/water.

I'm not suggesting you ignore this as an option, just realize that the sling style bag will put an uncomfortable amount of stress on you compared to other pack styles.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi, 1st post here. I know I'm way late on this thread but the Maxpedition topic seems to keep coming up so this is still relevent.

I have a Maxpedition Jumbo that I bought primarily as a day bag to carry a small first aid kit, small food supply, 32 oz water container, pistol and misc. gear (compass, maps, etc). I also use this bag when I'm grouse/pheasant hunting because I like the fact that my right shoulder is exposed to the buttstock and not obstructed by a shoulder strap. Plus, I can carry a decent first aid kit, pliers, etc just in case my dog get's into something far enough out.

Honestly, my review of this bag is that it's an uncomfortable way to carry your gear for extended periods of time. A full day with a full pack will torque your back/shoulder bad enough to need a visit to the chiro. I'm not much of a gram sissy but, the distribution of weight will be a big disadvantage if you're trying to cover some ground. However, I am willing to trade that for the versitility I get when hunting and for the speed of entry when traveling with my family. Plus, your pack weight will decrease thoughout the day as you consume food/water.

I'm not suggesting you ignore this as an option, just realize that the sling style bag will put an uncomfortable amount of stress on you compared to other pack styles.

The primary reason for discomfort when wearing a pack is improper or inadequate physical conditioning. If you are not used to carrying a pack, then get used to it. Tweeks in your back and general soreness is normal.

I often refer students to a Miami Classic Shoulder holster for CCW. They all report some initial physical discomfort in the first couple of weeks. Then they adapt to the extra weight with the comforting physical presence of a weapon system to solve a problem while utilizing a carry system that goes on and off like a jacket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
it's not the extra weight of the pack (although it seems you've gotten used to carrying around your ego :) ). it's the unnatural torque that it puts on your upper torso/back/shoulders that can get uncomfortable over extended periods of time. Since the original poster was doing a this versus that comparison, i was simply providing my opinion on one of the options based on my past usage. Also, the miami classic has two shoulder straps to distribute the weight more evenly than a single shoulder loop. Obviously, carrying around any kind of weight is going to take some time to get used to.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My Maxpedition jumbo is heavy if I overload it. If I add a semi auto, clips and waterbottle, it gets too heavy for an extended walk or hike. But with some disgression to carry essentials and fewer nice to have items, the weight is more manageable on my already older bad back. For a hike I use a backpack.

As an experiment I greatly reduced the items in my Maxpedition jumbo down to essentials in an urban setting. The extra items are in an Arc'teryx fanny pack which will be at home unless I need to make a trip outside of the city. If so I can toss the fanny pack in the car or combine the two bags. It doesn't matter. Now if my Maxpd has water and weapon the weight is much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts