Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, just spent the past 72 hours rucking it around and living out of it, and I have a few comments.

1. Very comfortable on long(50km+) walks. Your back will get sweaty but that is the price you pay for a pack that sits very snug against your hips and center of gravity(these are good things).

2. Not waterproof. Don't treat it like it is, keep it out of water and mud.

3. Wear good socks and comfortable/sturdy boots!!! A 50lb loaded didn't cause me problems, my ****e boots did however.

4. Buy some pockets for it. It's a great bag but the base model is severly lacking in convenient accessibility. I would be driven insane if I had to rummage throughthis bag more than once or twice a day. Thankfully I dropped a little more cash on some external pouches: 1 water bottle holder, 1 FR-1 med kit pouch, two 4x6 vertical GP pouches, and a Triad Admin pouch. WELL WORTH IT.

At the start of each day I loaded all the pockets up from the main bag, and rarely had to go diggig for something I needed. Water bottle pouch = for water. FR1 pouch = med kit. Left GP pouch = rations, right GP pouch = more rations(or ammo, I used food bc I was not carrying). Triad Admin pouch = cell phone, multitool, lighter/tinder, map, compass.

I also strapped my tent externally on the bottom which was fantastic, although could have been strapped tighter. Saved plenty of room in the pack, which I elected to use for more food/water/ministove/550.

Good gear, but it's at half mast without a few pouches for easy access. Ps I had all pouches attached at once. GP pouches were on bottom two Molle points on side, water pouch was on top 3 attach points on left side, FR1 pouch was top 3 points on right side, and Admin pouch was on belt. I did not use molle points on rear of bag as this makes it feel heavier to carry.

cheers

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
I had this pack and my findings where this.

Its useless without external pouches, I added 2 Molle II water pouches and 1 molle II sustainment pouch and 1 monkey admin pouch.

Its built almost bulletproof and will last forever.

One thing to be aware of is that its designed for military use so it will sit up high on your waist (this allows a utility belt to be worn)
This means you wont have good support if packed heavy.
It makes a great BOB/day pack
I sold mine and purchased a USMC ILBE to give me more space if needed.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Cool! I might be getting a Vulture II down the road but I am content with my Blackhawk. I have a Pygmy Falcon with 8 pouches on it for the same reasons.

Mini Polly Polly
Regular Rolly Polly
5x7x4 Medical Pouch on the Y Compression strap
5x7x2 Accessory Pouch on the front Pals webbing
CPM GPS Pouch on the shoulder strap (Left)
Volta Battery pouch above CPM
Double Mag or Tool pouch on shoulder strap (Right)
Jump Master Tool

Also has Grim-Loks, Ka-Bar w/sheath held down under Y strap, Nalgene Water Bottles, Lifegear Stick and Carabiners.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Any chance for some pics with all the pouches? I have this pack with no pouches and loaded for 2-3 days @20lbs without water or ammo. If I had to carry 50# though I might just use my TT malice.

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some pics.

These were taken right after purchase, once I figured out how the TacTies worked.
1. back, on floor
2. front, on floor, showing admin pouch
3. back, propped up

One other thing to watch out for with this bag... I don't know if it's just mine or not, but when fully loaded and strapped down, the top attachments of the Y compression strap can work loose... Don't know if that's normal or not, but pay attention to the straps to make sure they're all fastened properly at BOTH ends.

It's a good bag but don't listen to hype about these things. Try a few out and decide for yourself.

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
If this bag came in a size twice as big that would be very handy and you wouldnt need so many pouches, I guess they make more money on the pouches!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I have a Maxpedition Vulture II, in my opinion, its a good 1 - 2 day pack.

But - it needs more outside pockets, I had problems with straps going through the loops on the bottom of the pack. So it would be almost impossible to strap a bed roll or sleeping bag to the bottom.

There needs to be some smaller pockets on the outside for stuff like GPS, Maps, flashlight, pocket knife,,,, stuff like that. I do not like digging through the larger compartments looking for my GPS or map compass when I take a rest break.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Seems like we all agree it needs more pouches. Problem is, if you buy Maxpedition pouches, the price of your pack just shot up to $300.:xeye:

5.11 Tactical. They work great on the Maxpedition packs and most of them are $9.99.

http://www.lighthound.com/Bags-Pouches_c_62.html has discounted Max products, excellent customer service, and free shipping on orders over $75.

I would tighten those pouches up, too. The Y Compression strap will take a pouch threaded on there as well. To keep the straps in place, simply double them through the keeper and tape over them.

Trevor Gwynn does good videos on their stuff as well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/gwynn1975

1 - 10 of 10 Posts