Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning lots of packs, and from a lot of different companies, I can say that I finally found a brand name that I like. And that is Maxpedition.

Rarely, and I mean rarely do I find a piece of equipment that I really like. But this is the exception.

The fannypack is made out of durable material, YKK zippers and even has paracord for the zipper pulls. Its like the designers had what I wanted in a pack in mind when they designed this thing.

In the two outside pockets, I put my GPS in one pocket and my cell phone in the other pocket. But I will probably change that and put my camera in the right hand pocket, and the GPS in the left hand pocket. The cell phone can go in the back pouch. Most of the places I go, there is no cell phone service anyway.

Here are some picture for yall to look at. The canteen did not come with the pack. Its one that I had in stock. So I attached it to the back of the pack, instead of bringing a water bottle.

I dont know how this is going to carry - with the 2 quart canteen in the rear. That is moving some weight away from my center mass. The only way to tell is to take the pack on a trip. I'am hoping to get in the woods next saturday, but I can not promise anything. But I'll be posting a follow up after an in the field test.

·
Banned
326 Posts
Good deal Kev. I'm now a huge fan of Maxpedition gear. I use the Jumbo S-Type for my EDC bag. Love it.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
I am a HUGE Maxpedtion fan, I love their gear. I have the Devildog fanny pack. Its nolonger in production, which is a shame, and love it. I also have a loptop case and several smaller bags, All their gear is top rate. I have only found one brand that I think may be better and that is Mystery Ranch out of Montana. Their gear is damn good, but pricey. Good choice Kev, that pack will probably out last you!

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
I have 4 pieces of different gear from them, one used for my EDC, I can attest to the fact that there uber good and durable. Best packs I own.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not quite indestructible, but pretty close. I have several of their packs, love them all. Maxpedition starts out as just really tough, well made, heavy duty gear. It ends up being an addiction. The Jumbo and the Colossus Versipacks are awesome and really innovative. I don't know to many people that have just one of their packs. Coming from a guy who could tear up a hammer in a sandbox, I have been really impressed with Max's quality and durability. Thanks for the post Kev!

·
Banned
647 Posts
Hmm, interesting video, I guess hiking means something different for you than it does for me.

Everything I take with me on a hike is on me. Never any maps or gps, but I only hike trails, I'm guessing you hike off trail. Staying overnight is not an option, they close the trails down at sunset, prolly liability issues.

Here's what I take on hikes:

• Redwing Hiking boots with custom orthodics
  • 10lb wrist weights x2
  • Sweatbands
  • Crew neck t-shirt
  • Longsleeve overshirt with lots of pockets
  • Light leather gloves with grip strips
  • REI mosquito netting cap
  • Pocket poncho (in a pocket)
  • Cell phone (I get full bars 30 miles from the city)
  • Water bottle
  • Camera

And that's it... the trails are well maintained and quite beautiful. They're part of my fitness regimen where I go to the gym odd days and go hiking even days. A few years ago my favorite trails started charging $5 per carload of people to help the state with the costs of maintaining the trails, instead I bought a trail pass, about $60 and you can go as often as you like.

On the actual hikes you can usually find a good walking stick by going off the trail a bit, there was this one time I was feeling especially mighty (I aim to push to the limit of the gym machines) I found a large branch that had fallen, a good 8 feet in length and wider than my hand can wrap around all the way. It must've weighed a good 30 lbs. It was quite fun to use it as a walking stick though admittedly it was mostly for adding more resistance and therefore more of a workout to my usual hike. Every time I put that sucker down though, I could feel the shock as the earth pushed back from under my feet.

I don't know if this board supports it but I'll try to embed a slideshow of pictures I've taken on that trail.

http://cid-ab462c0b73754efe.skydrive.live.com/play.aspx/.res/AB462C0B73754EFE!417?ref=1

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have a Maxpedition Jumbo that I use for short trips into the wilderness and to the local fishing hole for the day. It's pretty bomb proof and I have been happy with the construction and materials, and I am not an easy person to please when it comes to gear.

Kev, you may want to replace your two quart canteen with a one quart canteen instead. That much weight and it's floppy appearance may annoy you after awhile. Maxpedition makes a pouch, which I believe to be the M-4 waist pack, which can accept a GI canteen, canteen cup, and stove. It has a pouch on the front for odds and ends (perfect for a fire starting kit), and two side pouches for magazines and similiar sized gear. The M-4 will mount far better to the butt pack than your current setup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
okay, first, i am new to this, and I mean new. (see new memb intros : ) )
So my Q is coming from no-frame-of-ref whatsoever.
Q: Do you prefer the maxpedition products to a military surplus fanny pack?
Okay, I'm also assuming there is a military style fanny pack.

I ask because military surplus items are suited for soldiers, and I have assumed they have it to a science. Though I think that the stuff in surplus stores is the out-dated gear.

I have also read sometimes outdoor retailer products will far outshine what the surplus stores have to offer.

Please if you could, compare this pack to a military example and list a reason or more why it's a better choice in your view.

We're a fam of 2 adults, 2 pre-teens, if that factors into what I should be looking at for us....if we should be selecting different style packs because of age, body size and weight-bearing ability.
tia

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a sabercat for my BOB. It is great, I love it. The Proteus was just too small, and too similar to the Sportsmans Guide $30 version I already have. I also have a Jumbo, and it is the best pack I have have owned. Looking for a doppelduffel for travel, though $150 is a little steep ;)

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hmm, interesting video, I guess hiking means something different for you than it does for me.

Everything I take with me on a hike is on me. Never any maps or gps, but I only hike trails, I'm guessing you hike off trail. Staying overnight is not an option, they close the trails down at sunset, prolly liability issues.
Yep, just about all of the places I go are off trail. The shortest hike - from point A to point B is 4.5 miles in a straight line - and without hills. There are no trails, no houses, no park rangers and nobody else for miles.

My son, my step son and I went on a little walk to see how well the pack wore. This is to get ready for the hikes coming in the next couple of months. From the starting point its 4.5 miles. The last hike, after we got home I mapped the area on google earth and it closer to 7 miles.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
Excellent and honest reviews Kev.....

I think alot of us appreciate the work you put into this site and the videos just make it that much more amazing. and for that I .....We thank you.

On a side note......I swear to God, every video with Cory in it, I think that kid/man is growing so fast. Aside from MRE's ....what are you feeding him lol...

Again great job Kev

·
Registered
20 Posts
A suggestion on the canteen. The new Molle General Purpose/Canteen pouches can be attached to the Molle patches and that may limit some of the bouncing. Maybe attach it underneath? You could also get a basic Molle Hydration pouch that has rudimentary shoulder straps and will attach to the top of the Fanny Pack.

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
I also have the jumbo S pack and really love it! I use it all the time when I'm riding my bike and whenever we're on vaction. I call it my "Jack Pack" after the show "24" :D:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maxpedition Proteus

I have one of these, and use it for my first aid bag. I got it originally for my BOB, but it is too small for that. So, the BOB is now a Maxpedition Sabercat, a "taller" version of the Proteus. Well made, tough bags, made in Asia, but using American materials and design.
Not perfect though: neither has a pocket for water bottle or canteen (or fuel bottle). I also have a Camelbak Urban Assault XL pack, which has pockets for two bottles, and can carry all you need for a tromp in the woods.
The three bags fall along a small-medium-large continuum, so one will usually suit the job at hand. I also have a large Alice pack, but the commercial bag is much easier on the back !

·
Prov 3:18
2,235 Posts
I carry a maxped kodiak as an edc bag and couldn't be happier with it.Wonderful gear!I think that canteen problem is going to haunt you for a while ,maybe attach it to the belt? thanks.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
How much adjustment range is there in the straps over the top of the main compartment? Can you tie on a coat or tarp with it? Are there straps under the bottom, too? Maybe you could strap the 2qt. canteen to the bottom?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts