Survivalist Forum banner

Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger owners get in here!

9K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  BUSHER 
#1 ·
I just got one! Its real rugged and im going nuts trying to figure out how I wanna set up pouches and attachments etc.

Show some pics of your Monsoon and what add ons you have attached so I can get some ideas and see what fits best on which panels?

#2 ·
I bought one about a year ago and tried really hard to like it. It looks cool, durable, etc, but I just didn't like the the pocket arrangements and found it difficult to access. I ended up selling it on eBay a couple of months ago. I have 3 other Maxpedition bags that I'm really happy with, but the monsoon wasn't for me.

#4 ·
I have a Condor II that I use as my BOB, a Larkspur messenger bag that I use daily to carry my laptop, and an Operator Tactical Attaché that I keep in my truck (filled with emergency items). I also have a Maxpedition wallet and a bunch of other small accessories. I'm a pretty big Maxpedition fan, but the Monsoon Gearslinger just didn't do it for me.

#6 ·
I had a similar size condor brand sling pack like that with the one strap and I found that if I put much weight in it that strap would kill my shoulder and it was a good two inches or so wide. But you already bought the pack so I guess you'll find out how good it really is (or not). You might want to pop over to edcforums for pics of packs set up like that. The folks over there go gaga for stuff like that. Good luck with it.

#8 ·
I bought one about a year ago and tried really hard to like it. It looks cool, durable, etc, but I just didn't like the the pocket arrangements and found it difficult to access. I ended up selling it on eBay a couple of months ago. I have 3 other Maxpedition bags that I'm really happy with, but the monsoon wasn't for me.
same here... I just can't get myself to like that bag... nice looks but uncomfortable

#12 ·
I had a Monsoon Gearslinger for a while... My initial intended use for it was a gear bag for work / training. As soon as I took it out of the box, I decided it wouldnt work for that. It then became my "Tactical Diaper Bag" which I used with my daughter for a while. That also was short lived and I ended up retiring it and selling it on Ebay. It was well made (like every maxpedition product I have owned) but the setup didn't suit my needs.

To answer your original question... I tried putting a small MOLLE dump pouch on the side which of course worked but significantly altered the original design shape of the bag. The biggest plus was using the velcro holster...

#14 ·
The Monsoon and the other Gearslingers don't work too well with much weight in there. I never saw the wisdom of the Monsoon; access is strange, the setup is very different and not very size efficient. The Noatak is about the handiest out of all of them. I added a double mag pouch for a light/multi-tool to mine. It's my day tripper.

Maxpedition just came out with a new pack based off it's previous Typhoon Gearslinger. It's smaller and more expensive than the Pygmy Falcon.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Typhoon-Backpack-72p1577.htm#details

#15 ·
i too have a monsoon, and after a while of using it decided i wanted a smaller pack with better internal organization, the monsoon is nice and roomy though, but over 20 pounds and it becomes very uncomfortable, plus i had no way to separate my camera and my binoculars, the pocket flap on the outermost portion seems pointless since things tend to fall out and i lost a few things thinking i had put them in the inner part because of that flap and the fact that the bottle holder is right in the way when i go to put things inside, i do wish the sitka had the same outer pouches on the belt and behind the strap like the monsoon though.

#16 ·
i sold my monsoon shortly before the last few posts came in - in the end I too just couldnt hang with it - the only gearslinger you cannot sling to the front and open with ease - its a tactical schoolday backpack....im over it

got another falcon II and gave it to the wife - time to pack GHBs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.