Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So currently I have a Camelbak 2500 cubic inch backpack in camo that I have been using for a BOB. I made this purchase years back before I became a prepper, and its original purpose was for hunting/hiking. This is an excellent backpack and has held up well. However it has only one row of molle attachment points, which was fine until I began prepping and setting up a BOB.

About a year ago I discovered Maxpedition, and after a few weeks of weighing the cost vs product features I decided to purchase a Thermite for a Mini-GHB. I was still skeptical before receiving the product if the cost was worth it. After getting the Thermite, I discovered it was of extremely sturdy build. I loaded the Thermite with a fair amount of survival goodies and it has held up beyond my expectations, no loose stitches, no wear, no tear.

So after owning the Thermite for close to a year, I decided on trying a new Maxpedition product, the mini rolypoly, by accident I ordered the mega rolypoly. Upon receiving, I again was so pleased with the quality that I decided to keep it and plan on ordering the mini rolypoly in the near future.

Yesterday I made another Maxpedition purchase, the M1 waistpack. I plan on attaching it to the waistband of my Thermite for additional storage options, a stand alone modular pouch depending on my situation, or as an attachment to a future backpack purchase.

So far I own three small Maxpedition products and have spent just over $100, my future plans include the mini rolypoly, and one of their higher end backpacks, possibly more as cash allows. I am pretty new to the modular aspect of things, as I have normally just thrown what I wanted into a large gaping hole and a few pockets. I have since discovered the the organized capabilities of Maxpedition is far superior to my previous system and results in better accessability on a general basis and especially during an emergency.

I want to stress the importance of organization for any pack, especially an emergency pack like a BOB, and the durability of you pack needs to be superb as well.

So for the Maxpedition Fans out there, which products do you suggest to those of us who are new to the scene?

And for those of you who are not using Maxpedition, please let me know what you are using, if their is something better or of equal standing, I am curious as to what options I have.

So far I have been planning to stick with Maxpedition due to the fact that I can keep the color scheme I have currently employed, I started with DFC (Digital Forest Camo) and since they offer all of their products with the same pattern, it has been nice that I can purchase bits and pieces at different times, yet still retain a matching set.

If for some reason you despise Maxpedition, other than the cost, please explain as I have yet to find any issues.

I am hoping their products truly are durable for the long haul.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the Pygmy II for about two years now, have used it probably every single day of those two years, and it is still holding up great. It really is 'Hard use gear'.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
I have several pieces and recently converted a friend of mine. i carry one of their bags everyday, it is some of the best gear made IMO.

Reactions: MeatHunter

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
And for those of you who are not using Maxpedition, please let me know what you are using, if their is something better or of equal standing, I am curious as to what options I have.
Maxpedition is great for a daypack. But that is really all I consider them for. The lack of a frame is a deal-breaker as a long term backpacking pack or long-haul type pack. A frame allows the weight to transfer onto your hips and allowing you to move much further with less fatigue.

I use and stand by Mystery Ranch products. Made in USA, and premier quality goods. Here is their line of military packs: http://www.mysteryranch.com/military

They also have recreation, fire-rescue, and hunting packs.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Maxpedition is great for a daypack. But that is really all I consider them for. The lack of a frame is a deal-breaker as a long term backpacking pack or long-haul type pack. A frame allows the weight to transfer onto your hips and allowing you to move much further with less fatigue.

I use and stand by Mystery Ranch products. Made in USA, and premier quality goods. Here is their line of military packs: http://www.mysteryranch.com/military

Plus one on the Mystery Ranch Vic, I have one, but it is a day pack. They make awsome gear, but its expensive. Mine is a sterile version with a transporter tail on it to carry a long gun. Great gear.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
I have the Maxpedition Sabercat, configured as below:

Reactions: MeatHunter

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
I loves me my Maxpedition Vulture II. It is frameless, like Vic said, but it does come with waist straps that transfer the load almost completely to my hips. I have a tall torso, and I had to reposition the sternum strap, but I can haul around 35lbs with ease in that thing. If you plan on carrying anything over 35-40lbs, I would skip out on Maxpedition and hit up those Mystery Ranch packs. :thumb:

·
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Those are some nice packs, yet a little too rich for my blood right now. Maybe a bit further down the road.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I loves me my Maxpedition Vulture II. It is frameless, like Vic said, but it does come with waist straps that transfer the load almost completely to my hips. I have a tall torso, and I had to reposition the sternum strap, but I can haul around 35lbs with ease in that thing. If you plan on carrying anything over 35-40lbs, I would skip out on Maxpedition and hit up those Mystery Ranch packs. :thumb:
Ohh yea the non-adjustable Yoke (backs portion that attaches the shoulder straps to the pack) is another consideration. Not everyone has the same size torso and I wish they had some sort of adjustable yoke system.

Making "one size fits all" torso size packs can cause lost efficiency if you aren't "average" size.

You are right about the waist belt taking on load. What helps the Maxpedition packs is that thicker backing the pack has to trasnfer that load down onto the belts.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Those are some nice packs, yet a little too rich for my blood right now. Maybe a bit further down the road.
Took me a while to justify the purchase also. I just got tired of buying all the other lightweight packs that didn't hold up well or carry loads well. I have had a lot of packs LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts