Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am absolutely sick of buying computer bags that crap the bed on me after a few months of use. I have more than a dozen different bags stacked up in my office that will soon be for sale because the just wear out too fast and appear disheveled for boardroom use.

What is your opinion of using a Maxpedition like bag? I found this one with a good, clean look about it but I am just leary of how they would be perceived by clients.

http://www.emgear.net/Products/ProductPage.aspx?id=1031

It is not as cheap as some of the crap I have bought, but I don't see it wearing out anytime soon.

I am just leary, many of the people I work with on a daily basis are "C" level executives. Am I overthinking this? I really like the bag.

Reactions: caridad

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No takers? Was hoping for at least one opinion...

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I don't have the bag you're looking at but I have several monsoon gear slingers purchase one liked it so much got one for the wife.

Are they the best..dono? but they are better than average retail stuff at REI..IMO

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
Having to have a clean looking puter back is kinda the trade off for working with execs... was that way for me when I was consulting a few years back..

Reactions: Cool Hand

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have a Maxpedition bag I won off this site. I didn't use it for the first several months because I had a mental block to using a panel loading pack, but I've adapted and used it just about daily since then for light use, and it's held up really well.

I have a wish list, like blousing straps, zippers you could put a lock through, additional sewn pulls for the shoulder straps like alice packs have(I can't come up with a better description, but they can't be pulled through the adjuster and you always have enough strap to grab), I know I have a few more wish list items, but those are the big ones. The seams are holding up well, no separations or rips.

Is that what you're looking for?

·
Angry Member of the Mob
130 Posts
I picked up a Maxpedition Larkspur (small version) which has enough room for my 17" laptop, mouse, power adapter, and a couple of other items. Makes for a great work bag and it's definitely more durable than the crappy bags I've carried in the past. Here's the link to the exact bag: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/LARKSPUR-MESSENGER-BAG-Small-13p1240.htm

They make a larger version, but it's huge and not really necessary unless you have a mammoth laptop.

·
Survivalist Electrician
614 Posts
I've heard good things about the maxpeditions, but i've never owned one. I'm not sure what exactly the appropriate attire for your job is, so I can't really help there either. But I can give a recommendation. I carry a north face backpack with a folder with my papers and a notepad, occasionally a small laptop, a graphing calculator, a bunch of pens and pencils, and a few tools in it (electrical tape, wire cutters/crimpers, pliers, a couple screwdrivers, flashlight, and a multitool). I have plenty of extra room to fit in a small survival kit, first aid kit, light jacket, water bottle, and fixed blade knife. I've even carried my Glock 22 with everything else a couple times. I absolutely love it. I have owned several north faces and their durability amazes me. I'll never own anything else. Plus, it's a peg that fits just about every hole. North Faces were made for outdoors/camping/hiking and they're about the best in their class for that. But if you see someone walking through an office building with a north face day pack slung on their back, you would never think twice. I don't know if that really helps you at all or not.

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
I carry a Maxpedition Operator Tactical Attache (...Maxpedition's name, not mine, LOL) which looks like a brother to that model. Mine is black, which helps downplay the odd look of the bag in a business setting, and I regularly carry it into corporate boardrooms, seminars, etc., and have never had anyone question, ridicule, or look askance at it. Of course, I don't walk in and toss it up on the boardroom table either. I carry my laptop in an aluminum briefcase which, frankly, gets more comments than the Maxpedition bag....lots of folks get big round eyes when they see the aluminum case for the first time, presumably because it looks a lot like a handgun case. :upsidedown: :eek:

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,846 Posts
CH Luke....I will chime in...

I am a self employed IT guy, work mainly for SMB's, attorneys, insurance companies, et al; and use a MX bag daily...

I have the large bag, black, and have not had a single issue, comment or sideways glance....

I think folks expect people to have bags these days, and no one pays attention, except like minded individuals who "know," and all they do is smile...

Get your bag and drive on....:thumb:

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
CH if you buy that bag you will never buy another. I have carried that very bag for over six years. It crisscrossed the country and served me well in every environment from coal mines to convention centers. The bag will be inconspicuous, no one will notice it. I was like you and needed a dependable bag, and will never use anything else. I don't think ill ever need to replace this one and I dish out the abuse. Some times I need to carry hand tools, and if I do I just dump them in the bag and go.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

·
Leave Me Alone !
907 Posts
Here's a briefcase I've carried for years. It's all Heavy Duty PVC Nylon, has a divider inside with numerous pockets, an outside zipper pocket, an outside flap pocket and a hidden concealment pocket large enough to conceal a 1911. I have 2 of them and used them for travel, laptop and duty use. I have never worn one out or even had the stitching come loose. I have dealt with Galati International since the 80's and never had a problem with them backing up what they sell. They also have some of the best Rifle Cases made of the same material and padding.
This case is very discreet, professional and "non-tactical" in appearance. It would not cause alarm or concern with your customers. Don't let the picture fool you. It's very firm and sturdy and stiff enough to hold it's form. It's definitley not a "Bag", it's a briefcase/

http://www.galatiinternational.com/...&Product_Code=ATC19&Category_Code=concealment

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
My opinion, Maxpedition is towards the top end. Some of their packs might be a little small, but their tough. I would not hesitate to go on a 12 mile, all day hike with a maxpedition pack.

I won several maxpedition packs
Condor II
Vulture II
Falcon II pygmy
Noatak

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Guys. This is exactly what I needed. Just didn't want to make a mistake. I appreciate the effort.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If the dimensions meet your requirements then I say go for it. My everyday back pack is a Maxpedition Malaga and I love it. I've had it for two years now and it has no appreciable signs of wear.

One note, Maxpedition stuff tends to be smaller than people expect. I was advised to find what I need then buy the next size up... I'm glad I followed that advice. I'm VERY happy with my Maxpedition products.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts