Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Not Impressed
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody sportin one of these packs for 1 to 2 day hikes. Going to be updating my pack soon and have narrowed it down to the Maxpedition Condor II or the Falcon II. They both look like awesome packs but cant decide on which one.

So, im looking for some 1st hand experience/reviews from the boards.

Thanks

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Between the Maxpedition Condor II or the Falcon II, I would go with the Condor II.

The condor II is a little "fatter". I just like how condor ii is laid out as compared to the falcon ii.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
I'd get the Vulture II if I were you. The Falcon and Condor are inevitably gonna leave you wanting more pack space, lol. I use the Vulture II as a daypack all the time, and I couldn't imagine losing that extra 1000 CI of space.

Regardless of what you get, they're bombproof packs! :thumb:

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
I'd get the Vulture II if I were you. The Falcon and Condor are inevitably gonna leave you wanting more pack space, lol. I use the Vulture II as a daypack all the time, and I couldn't imagine losing that extra 1000 CI of space.

Regardless of what you get, they're bombproof packs! :thumb:
I've had a Falcon II before and it was just two small for my needs. (Unless I strapped almost everything to the outside.)

I just ordered a Vulture II to upgrade my BOB :thumb:

LMFAO - wish I could make that gif my avatar - phrase under would be "Wait...what?"

·
I am Jody
2,203 Posts

I have the Condor2 I like the quality this pack replaced my 3 day assault pack I was issued alooooong time ago. Anyway, its a little smaller than a 3 day pack I have added coyote Blackhawk pouches for my compass, canteen, and my LMF. It has plenty of room for what I use it for. Hunting, day hikes, and canoeing. It has a compartment for a hydration bladder which works nicely. Last season I used it for hunting and I did use it for three days straight. I have noticed that it is easier to keep my gear organized with all the pockets and pouches while in the field.

It's as comfortable as the military issue assault pack it rides nicely even when its not balanced. The one thing I really like is that I can wrap my orange mesh hunting vest around it perfectly and attach the velcro. I get worried about my fellow hunters shooting at me. They could mistake my pack for a deer or turkey following a guy wearing blaze orange too closely...LOL!!

I did attach my MSS to the bottom of my pack for two days while humping in and out of camp...I will have to work on that, maybe a way to keep it more secure.

The size works for me and I like the quality. If you need more room add pouches...Not Maxpedition they are waaaaay toooo expensive and you still have to purchase the ties to attach Maxpedtion pouches. I buy the Blackhawk military U.S.M.C. issue works perfectly for me-Plenty of room and cheap!!!!

·
Not Impressed
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice review Irish Militant....:thumb:

I think Im leaning towards the CondorII just because its a little cheaper and has a little more room.

I like your Blackhawk accessories, I'll have to look into that after i get my pack.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I got the Falcon II after watching Kev and other's reviews on it. It's not a bad bag, overall, but a little on the small side for many people's needs. I've added a few extra pouches and attachments to help out with it, but I tend to find myself always wanting just a little more space. I'll probably have to upgrade in the future.

·
Not Impressed
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Allright...........finally broke down and ordered my new pack tonight!!

Got the CondorII Pack(folliage green)

PLUS!!!!, got a couple of goodies to go along with it!:thumb:

Ka-Bar Becker Companion Knife
.............a wire saw and some storm proof matches also:D:

·
I am Jody
2,203 Posts
Allright...........finally broke down and ordered my new pack tonight!!

Got the CondorII Pack(folliage green)

PLUS!!!!, got a couple of goodies to go along with it!:thumb:

Ka-Bar Becker Companion Knife
.............a wire saw and some storm proof matches also:D:
You will like it!! Why the Becker Companion?? Do you hunt or fish?? My Gerber works great for gutting and dressing deer and splitting wood for a small fire but sucks for cleaning fish. The Becker Companion looks almost like the LMF thats why I ask. I have tried the Moras not really impressed.

Perhaps, your next thread should be whats the best all around knife for the outdoors/survival people...Just a thought!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a Falcon, bought on Amazon for under 100. Its smallish, but can work depending on your level of minimalism. Right now i have a radio, change of clothes, first aid kit, and various items in it serving as a bug out bag. I think you could get a 3 day backpack setup in it with some add on pouches. If you are looking to just shove all your gear in a bag it is probably a little small for that purpose.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Sitka and the 3 in 1 duffle but I will not be buying anymore. So far my packs are fine but I have seen several people who have had terrible issues with CS and even had the owner threaten lawsuits if someone was critical of his gear and even told the owner of edcforum.com the he has people everywhere and he better watch out "for his safety". With an attitude like that I don't care how good your gear is.. I am not going to support you by buying any of it.

One of the threads I saw. May have to be a member to see it (not sure) but the owner of MaxPed responds on there till he gets ban from the forum after threating to sue and making semi passive threats against the forum owners safety.
http://edcforums.com/threads/maxpedition.54279/

·
Not Impressed
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why the Becker Companion?? Do you hunt or fish??
I viewed several threads about "the best" knife to pack on hiking/camping trips. Almost bought an Ontario 18" machete, but i figured that would be a little overkill. Seems everyone has different tastes when it comes to knives. I liked the looks of the Becker Companion and it got a lot of good reviews so i went with it. Probably wont see much hunting and fishing activity, but it will be in my pack while I'm on the trail in case i need it for something.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
I have a Sitka and the 3 in 1 duffle but I will not be buying anymore. So far my packs are fine but I have seen several people who have had terrible issues with CS and even had the owner threaten lawsuits if someone was critical of his gear and even told the owner of edcforum.com the he has people everywhere and he better watch out "for his safety". With an attitude like that I don't care how good your gear is.. I am not going to support you by buying any of it.

One of the threads I saw. May have to be a member to see it (not sure) but the owner of MaxPed responds on there till he gets ban from the forum after threating to sue and making semi passive threats against the forum owners safety.
wha?

What does this have to do with the quality of the gear? Is there something wrong with the two pieces you have?

·
I am Jody
2,203 Posts
I viewed several threads about "the best" knife to pack on hiking/camping trips. Almost bought an Ontario 18" machete, but i figured that would be a little overkill. Seems everyone has different tastes when it comes to knives. I liked the looks of the Becker Companion and it got a lot of good reviews so i went with it. Probably wont see much hunting and fishing activity, but it will be in my pack while I'm on the trail in case i need it for something.
I would not mind seeing a review after you use it in the field. I sometimes buy things because of reviews...If I decide it dont work for me then it gets posted on evilbay!!

·
I am Jody
2,203 Posts

Uhmmm, did I miss something?!?!?!?

·
Registered
159 Posts
wha?

What does this have to do with the quality of the gear? Is there something wrong with the two pieces you have?
I already said there were no issues with my gear. It is great for my use.. I use my duffle to travel with my family and my Sitka is used for a diaper bag. I said I will no longer support someone who threatens others "saftey" as the owner of Max stated to customers when they are critical of his gear or CS staff. He threatened to sue the forum owner because he made a public observation that was not a glowing review of some of the gear. If the gear is all you are concerned about, you get a good piece the first go around without any quality defects, and it does what you need then great. You could have issues if you have to deal with customer service and if it gets serious enough you may have the owner calling you on numbers you did not provide and possibly threaten you about the issue claiming he has people every where. I don't know from personal experiance but have read a few topics on other forums with the same issue and judging from the response of the owner of MaxPed himself on the forum this was discussed it would not suprise me if he really did what is claimed. I don't care how good your gear is if you threaten me if I don't like something about it, especially if it is something your staff did wrong. Just a heads up.. if the gear is great and the CS sucks (especially if the owner calls threatening you) then I personally won't deal with them. I don't care how good the gear is. If you can, read the link I provided and then judge for yourself. There are plenty of other places to get good gear (Hazard 4, SOE, 5.11 Tactical..)and the CS to back it up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts