Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lights on shotguns obviously need to be tougher than most lights. I've seen cheap and I've seen uber expensive. At what point in that price range do we go from budget brands to reliable? Are most in the $200.00 range considered good quality? or do I need to save more than that? I'd rather buy once and be happy. The 120.00 buck lights look plenty good, but I just don't know enough.

I don't care to put anything on my guns that risk being the "budget brand". But, I'm still open. Afteral, the Mavrick 88 is a budget brand. That being said, I'll tone down my rhetoric. Thanks folks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Surefires are solid and can be had for under $100. That's what I have on MY Mav88! Lol...

FWIW, I'm told that it's wise to remove any flashlights from your SG at the range - even a SureFire.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
I use a little 14500 LED from Ebay. Cost all of like $4 with free shipping. I had to fill the focus ring with wood glue to stop it from focusing down on each shot.

Rest snipped.

·
Greyman with a Mohawk
912 Posts
I use a little 14500 LED from Ebay. Cost all of like $4 with free shipping. I had to fill the focus ring with wood glue to stop it from focusing down on each shot.

Rest snipped.
For seriously I have a few new l Ed flashlights from both amazon and eBay and all of them are hella bright and get great battery life but most have needed simple mods like glue and o rings etc.
The flashlight I use on my mossberg 500 tactical is a radio shack led with tripod 63013320.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Gander has Guide Series lights at 120 lumens that have focus beams and go from $19. Use AA battery and the mounts are standard fare and cheap, but not included. Nice set-up for entry level scatter bore.

·
Crazy
5,609 Posts
thing about shot gun and lights is when you fire it the light cuts off for a second because the spring that holds the battery gives under recoil momentarily breaking the circuit. So find a light that isn't electronic controlled. The Electronic controlled ones some times has modes you can cycle through like, dim, bright, strobe. But when the circuit break it goes back to the default which is turned off. But the ones with a click style button its will stay on even if the circuit breaks for a second.

·
Golfer
4,964 Posts
LED beams on the barrel make sense but if you have to remember to reach up there and turn it on... well by then, the burglar has got the drop on you.

Has anyone got an idea how to turn it on and off from near the trigger area?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hmm. Since the flashlight already has a pressure switch on it, not sure what you mean. glue it on back by the receiver?
Ugh....glue is a four letter word!!
No glue... buy a replacement cap with corded pressure switch. Dual face foam adhesive patch will hold actual switch in place...instead of using that vulgar 4 letter stuff..
Please don't be insulted, but you've seem to have chosen an apt moniker.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I bought a $10 Wal-Mart LED light that uses 2 AA batteries, is pretty bright, has a simple on-off pushbutton on the bottom end. Mounted it where my left thumb is normally resting near the forearm and while holding the gun normally I can flick the light on or off with a touch of my thumb. I've fired about 25 buckshot rounds through it like this and the flashlight still works great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.