Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
I posted this on the rifle forum a while back and Survival Helper had some good things to say on the subject but i always try and get as much input as possible so I thought I'd post it here and also try and get a plug in for the rifle forum :D

I have seen some stuff on the Maverik 88 and was wondering a couple things...
I heard there was some sort of connection with Mossberg is that right? (like mossberg bought Maverik but still makes them or something)
Have heard the safety is not on the top of the reciever like the Mossberg, anyone prefer one or the other? dislike one or the other? does it matter?
Whats the quality like?
would i be better off with a Mossberg 500 or 590?
I am looking into shotguns to purchase, primarily for home defense but a couple chokes and an extra barrel for hunting couldnt hurt for later on down the road which i know i wouldnt get with the 590. This seems like one of the less expensive alternatives to the Mossbergs or the Remingtons that I was also looking at.
any other additional insight, as always, is welcome
thanks
Kid_M

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_Maverick

The Maverick 88 is a less costly to manufacture, simplified version of the pump action, 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Factory Maverick 88's feature a black, synthetic only stock and forearm, cylinder bore (although chokes are available), and cross-bolt safety. Accessories are mostly compatible with the Mossberg 500.

The Maverick line of shotguns are assembled in Eagle Pass, Texas using foreign (Non-USA) manufactured parts, mainly from Mexico; which contributes to their relatively lower price in comparison to the Mossberg 500 series of shotguns which is assembled and manufactured in the USA.

The trigger groups will not interchange between Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500 guns, but the majority of other parts including barrels, stocks, and shell magazines will (the barrel and magazines must be the same length).

Maverick 88 shotguns feature a trigger guard mounted cross-bolt safety as opposed to a top tang safety, which is used on the Mossberg 500 series.

Early Model 88's were equipped with a single slide rail, but this was updated to a dual slide rail in 1990.

Maverick 88's are factory finished with paint (receiver) and steel bluing (barrel/magazine) only, whereas Mossberg 500's have factory paint/blued, stainless steel or parkerized (receiver/barrel/magazine) options.

There are two basic models of the 88, the 88 field and the 88 security. The 88 field comes with a longer 28" vent-rib barrel, whereas the security comes with an 18-1/2" or 20" non-vent-rib barrel. The 88's have a cartridge capacity of 6 or 8 shots and cannot have their magazines easily extended without machining.

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
Nice write up Dwind,

I've used the 870 and love them. LEO's have used 870s for along time, with some switching to the 500 in more recent times. I think the 500 won a military contract over the 870. From what I was told it plan out ran the 870 in sandy AO's.

The main differences I've seen are:
870 is heavier overall sturdy.
500 lighter weight has more aluminum parts (not saying its a bad thing just lighter).
88 as said is a cheaper made 500.

I like the 870 because everything that needs to be touched can be touched with 1 finger (safety, pump release thingy, and trigger).

With the 500 the safety is on top of the receiver, the pump release thingy is behind the trigger guard. Too many fingers dancing around for my liking, esp when/if you have to quickly put something down range.

Last but not least, I’m not a scatter gun guy. Take my advice for what ya paid for it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great value, rock-solid reliability.

Maverick = Mossberg sub-brand.

I love 'em, durable as all hell. I actually prefer the Mav to the Mossberg 500 because of the cross-bolt safety, which I think offers greater positive control. A small point, but those tang safeties can slip off if rubbed against something.

Don't count on putting different chokes in though, at least not the Security model, I don't think it can be done. I can't speak for the Field model, as I've never examined one of those.

·
22,122 Posts
Doc, On the 88, the safety is located as a push-button assembly in the forward part of the trigger guard.

Reactions: DocYoung

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't count on putting different chokes in though, at least not the Security model, I don't think it can be done. I can't speak for the Field model, as I've never examined one of those.
I wonder though, if i purchased a 500 barrel, which i have been told are interchangable most of the time on an 88, if it could then be used with chokes for hunting. anyone know for sure?
Kid_M

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another quick question, ive handled a 590. handled not shot. The mag release (i think thats what its called. button which allows you to pump it) was just to the left of the trigger and seems like you could operate it with your middle finger with your index on the trigger. where is the mag release for the 88? same place?
thanks for all the help everyone
Kid_M

·
22,122 Posts
Yeah, my neighbors always know when I'm doing something with mine, you can hear it rack from across the small courtyard we have. The pump release IS in the same spot Kid

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually own a Maverick 88 with a Mossberg 500 barrel. Not one of the best guns I've shot, but it's great for trap and skeet. And yeah, the pump release is in the same place as the 500.

·
22,122 Posts
wgats that pinned onto the receiver above the trigger?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
If you need to buy on the cheap... the hawk 982 ($199) and the NEF Pardner ($169) are both much better made than the maverick. The Maverick is mid to low quality components and spotty craftsmanship. You can get a good one o0r a medicore one depending on what day of the week it is at the factory. The hawk and the pardner are clones of the Remington 870 but they are made with better components than the Remington... and they are made with much better craftsmanship than the current remngtons. (A Remington 870 made 10, 20, 30 yearsd ago is actually a better gun than the ones made today... so you get a better gun buying a used Remingington than a new one. The older Remingtons are the state of the art gems... and I'd buy a used one in a heartbeat.)

I've also had gunsmiths who know a hell of a lot more than I do tell me they prefer the maverick over the 500.

but all this said... it is splitting hairs... if you get a maverick you are going to be getting an econmomical shotgun that will in all likelyhood be reliable and functional. They aren't that much of a step down from the Mossberg 500 or 590... but honestly, I'd save up the extra money and get the 500 or the 590. It's better to have a GREAT shotgun than a good one.

Also, if you bump up your price point... you might want to consider the Benelli Nova Tactical. it's in the same price range of the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500.. but it is IMO the best pump shotgun made in the price range. And the ability to use 3 1/2 ammo and the selector button ARE advantages I value. (I order a lot of custom ammo... and 3 1/2 inch shells fired with a Limbsaver recoil pad are very manageable. 3 1/2 inch 12 guage in many ways is what is killing the market for 10 guage shotguns. You'd be amazed at what 12 pellets of 0000 buckshot will do.)

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
would i be better off with a Mossberg 500 or 590?
If you ever plan on using the shotgun for hunting, go with the mossberg 500.

The 500 has a removable choke, the 590 does not.

Overall, I dont think you can go wrong with either one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts