Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Man of Action
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer, I will be buying my first shotgun (I'm 16). I think I'm getting a Maverick 88 12GA pump. Is this a good choice? I'm on a budget, and the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 seemed a little pricy. I know the Maverick is a simplified 500 with Mexican parts. I was wondering if anyone had any problems with theirs that are deal breakers. Also, customization suggestions would be nice. Thanks!

·
10,548 Posts
I have one, the 20 inch Bbl, 7rd. Magazine. I've put about 400 rounds through it with no problems. I'm waiting right now as I type this for my Friend who works at the Parros Guns and Police Supply, to bring me home my Blackhawk Knoxx Recoil Reducing Stock on his way home from work. I'm all excited like a Kid waiting for Christmas.:thumb:
I will be replacing the Slide Tube Assembly with the Mossberg Tube, so that I can use Mossy Forends.;)

·
Man of Action
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be replacing the Slide Tube Assembly with the Mossberg Tube, so that I can use Mossy Forends.;)
Very helpful, thanks! Question: How much does the slide replacement cost, and can you do it yourself? I was slightly disappointed when I discovered that front grips were incompatible with Mavericks. I was just gonna live with it (that is, until I read this.) Now I really want to.

·
Keep your fists up.
312 Posts
Great choice for your shot gun.

I own a Mossberg 500 and have no complaints.
If you like a pistol gripped stock (like a Knoxx) you'll find the safety is in a more comfotable position than with my 500.

I'd make sure to get a field barrel that can take the interchangeable Accu-Chokes.

·
10,548 Posts
Just got the new Stock installed. I'll shoot it tomorrow and let ya'll know if it was worth $125.00 Heck, it was Bonus already, that my Friend had them in Stock and was able to drop it off on his way home which is only about 1 Mile up the Road from my House. I always have him deliver stuff since it's on his way. Having Neighbors that work at a Gun Store is a great Prep IMHO.:thumb:
The Forearm swap is simple, and I'm sure you can find a Video on Youtube on how to do it.:thumb: As far as to where to get the Slide Tube Assembly, I have'nt found one yet, I figure I can just call Mossberg to order it. Cheaper Than Dirt has one made buy Pro-Mag, but its Reveiws gave me an uneasy feeling. I'll go do my research and order it now from the Internet. I'll report back with my findings and any helpful info I gleen for this endeavor.:)

·
Man of Action
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If you like a pistol gripped stock (like a Knoxx) you'll find the safety is in a more comfotable position than with my 500.

I'd make sure to get a field barrel that can take the interchangeable Accu-Chokes.
Yeah, the one I'm getting has the field barrel, but I'm gonna buy the shorter one along with it.

·
10,548 Posts
I ordered the Slide Tube Assembly and the Forearm Retention Nut from Numrich Arms, A.K.A. Gun Parts Co. West Hurley, NY.
It ran me $90.00 after S&H. There were other places, but I've dealt with Numrich frequently in the past, and I know I can trust them to process my Order and have the right Parts. As I stated earlier, there is an After-Market, Pro-Mag Brand Assembly that includes the Retention Nut for $50.00,but some of the Reviews said that there were Problems with the Fit. Not wanting to screw around, I figure it was just better to get an actual Mossberg product.:thumb:

·
Man of Action
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got the new Stock installed. I'll shoot it tomorrow and let ya'll know if it was worth $125.00 Heck, it was Bonus already, that my Friend had them in Stock and was able to drop it off on his way home which is only about 1 Mile up the Road from my House. I always have him deliver stuff since it's on his way. Having Neighbors that work at a Gun Store is a great Prep IMHO.:thumb:
The Forearm swap is simple, and I'm sure you can find a Video on Youtube on how to do it.:thumb: As far as to where to get the Slide Tube Assembly, I have'nt found one yet, I figure I can just call Mossberg to order it. Cheaper Than Dirt has one made buy Pro-Mag, but its Reveiws gave me an uneasy feeling. I'll go do my research and order it now from the Internet. I'll report back with my findings and any helpful info I gleen for this endeavor.:)
Alright, cool. I was planning on getting the top folding stock (forgot who it's made by, but Google can answer that question lol) but was also considering the Knoxx stock. The video was a great help, thanks. I suggest the shell bandolier from Cabela's. http://www.cabelas.com/ammunition-cases-holders-cabelas-bandolier-sling-5.shtml It holds TWO boxes of shells; both functional AND intimidating. Thanks again!

·
10,548 Posts
Well, I shot it today, and i have to say, it would benefit greatly from a thin layer of Foam Rubber applied to the Cheek Weld Area. It seemed to want to kick up into my Cheeckbone. While this was slight, it was noticeable enough as to be distracting. I'll likely get the Power Pack Stock Accesory Kit, then do my Foam Rubber Idea. nothing to affect hight, just like 2mm thickness. Well, now I have a spare too long LOP Maverick 88 Buttstock I don't need and can use for Trade, since I did a really nice job of Stippling the Grip Area, and installed a 5rd. Shell Holder on the side.:thumb:
But anyhow, as far as being a "Recoil Reducing Stock", I never felt this gun had any substantial Recoil in the first place. Granted, I've only ran 00Buck 2 3/4" and Slugs 2 3/4 through it. Birdshot too, but that is'nt pertinent.
The best Benefit I have attained out of the Swap was the adjustable Length of Pull. Way faster on Target.
Yes, it was worth every Penny. By the time the Slide Tube assembly arrives, I will have completed the Stippling on the Forearm.:thumb:

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
the maverick 88 is damn near the same exact shotgun as the 500, except the cross bolt safety (actually handier if u add a PG) and the pump handle, they come apart the same, the barrels are the same, and albeit some of the internals will interchange, with an exception of the trigger group

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
oh and i 4got to mention the maverick wont be drilled and tapped for a rail, nor be threaded for choke tubes, but a buddy of mine bought one brand new that had a m500 pump handle from the factory (must of got low on an 88 bin and had to steal sum 500 parts) the 88 is also made in TX now with the 500, no more complete made in mexico mavericks

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts

I don't trust myself to find the safety in a stressful situation, I use a Knoxx specops on mine so I keep the chamber empty and the safety off. pull the trigger, rack, and pull the trigger again. good to go.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts