Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm baffled, I can't figure out how to break down the mag tube on my maverick 88. I think it's there to stay, I just wanted to give it a good scrubbing and treat it with gibbs to water proof it.

any ideas would be apreciated.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please stop doing this!

Yeah.... that's nice.... I have that manual, it came with the shotgun. No offence, It just peves me a little that this is the respose I see most of the time when some one has a firearms question. Did you read over that manual before you posted the link.... I know you didn't because it does not answer my question.

Not trying to be a jerk but you obviously think I'm missing some brain cells or else you wouldn't have posted the basic manual that comes with the gun. It's like when some one says they are having a problem with thier car and you send them a link to the car's owners manual.

Please people, a little more respect for the other members on this forum, this isn't the first time i've seen this. If you have the answer then tell it, don't give some one the almost comicaly basic firearms manuals they give out with the guns!

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
:wow sound like someone needs some anger management. the answer to you question is on page 1, the telphone number to mossberg :eek: figured you needed to ask some1 who really should know what their talking about :headshake: and not 2nd hand knowledge ,but get your info form where you like :thumb:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:wow sound like someone needs some anger management. the answer to you question is on page 1, the telphone number to mossberg :eek: figured you needed to ask some1 who really should know what their talking about :headshake: and not 2nd hand knowledge ,but get your info form where you like :thumb:
sorry Cryptkeeper, it's just one of those buttons. Your probably right, I was just trying to avoid that. I just noticed that I'm not the only one here that has a maverick 88. I don't like phones, I'm wierd like that. If i just get that desperate I'll do like i always do and shove some towel strips down the mag tube. I just thought it would be nice to give it a ligitimate cleaning, if i could.

For what it's worth, I really just don't think it's posible. Another reason why the maverick is the budget model of mossburg.

If any body knows better please tell me, i'd like to know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
sorry Cryptkeeper, it's just one of those buttons. Your probably right, I was just trying to avoid that. I just noticed that I'm not the only one here that has a maverick 88. I don't like phones, I'm wierd like that. If i just get that desperate I'll do like i always do and shove some towel strips down the mag tube. I just thought it would be nice to give it a ligitimate cleaning, if i could.

For what it's worth, I really just don't think it's posible. Another reason why the maverick is the budget model of mossburg.

If any body knows better please tell me, i'd like to know.
i had no better luck with my mossberg 590. i don't think it comes off.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had no better luck with my mossberg 590. i don't think it comes off.
this is starting to get interesting... I wonder if I'm looking at it from the wrong direction. Maybe the whole mag tube will not come off bt how a bout the follower? I'm going to stare and fittle with mine for a while and get back to you on this one.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, just short of a gun smith it ain't coming out. Worth a shot, but a definate no go on that one. Back to the rinse with gibbs and shove a cloth down it. It's probably an unnessisary step in my cleaning but I'm picky about getting every last little thing. ohh well.:xeye:

·
Infidel/Warmonger/NeoCon
510 Posts
I was able to take one Mossy tube off but it ain't the easiest thing. Waterproofing it? Figured keeping it oiled or greased would be enough. Always loved the Mariners myself.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
The mag tube unscrews. There are special tools to do it, but you should be able to do it by removing the barrel and all action components. Then you will use a vise with padded jaws to hold the tube, be careful, it is not as easy as it seems, too loose it will slip, too tight it will crush. Then you can unscrew the receiver from the tube, by turning the receiver, not the tube.

It is a royal pain in the butt, and even professionals will jack them up fairly regularly. It just isn't worth it to me. If you want to clean and lube under the follower, this is the method I use.

Take a shotgun cleaning rod (the thick aluminum ones) and put a 10 gauge cleaning loop with a patch on it and insert into the tube (pushing the follower back as you go. Gets most of the minor stuff out, and you can lube the same way.

For deep cleaning, break it down to nothing more than receiver and mag tube. Use plastic safe (follower is plastic) aerosol gun cleaner, spray it through the barrel nut on the end of the tube. In order to lube do the same with quality aerosol gun lube BUT use sparingly or you will be re-cleaning tons of oil out of the tube.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much survival helper. I had seen the threading where it was screwed in but when it wouldn't budge i figured it had been "glued" tight. I may just try that some day if I need to change out the spring, but like you said, for cleaning there are easier ways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts