Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SURVIVOR
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey ya'll, i recently found an opportunity to get a master gardeners license/certificate. Sum1 mentioned it to me & gave me the info for it! Its put on by Purdue University.. only $90 for the whole course & i believe it could open up a few doors for me in the future aswell. This past season was my first yr gardening or having a garden & i really enjoyed it. Classes start in feb & end mid april....perfect timing for the starting season for me to apply the knowledge i have gained. I'm about 90% sure i'm gonna do it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I did this many years ago - it was a lot of fun.

My gardens were on the tour for our local college's taxonomy class, as I grew a lot of rare, heirloom, historic and poisonous plants. (my yard was broken-up into small theme gardens: baneful, medieval, vintner's, medicine wheel, etc.)

If you enjoy gardening, and especially if you have a community botanical garden or arboretum where you might like to volunteer, or if you aspire to write a gardening column or some such thing, you will love this!

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Hey, classes are not just 'with Red Hat Society ladies'; they are students, retired people, a red hat or two, people of all ages.

I am a lapsed Master Gardener, and it was very worthwhile to go through [although there was a lot of emphasis on pesticides and herbicides as solutions to problems].

·
Pursuing freedom.
296 Posts
In Georgia, you cannot use your "Master Gardener" certification for commercial purposes, meaning as part of your marketing material. Check to make sure that you do not have that restriction in your state.

I did not complete mine for the reason that dilligaf gave (volunteer requirements), and the marketing restriction. I had a landscaping company at the time. I figure if I am paying for it, why would I volunteer my billable time without the ability to get a tax write-off for it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good for you! I know I enjoyed my Master Gardener classes. I still work with our town's garden club when they work with the vegetable gardens. I love seeing others get excited about working with the earth and growing their own foods. Let us know how your classes are.:thumb:

BLT

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Master Gardener Program is a good starting point for learning the basics to gardening in your area. You also get to meet people who have the same interest as you do and hopefully you make some lasting friendships.

One thing to keep in mind is that the program is (especially here in Texas) sponsored by a major university that gets their funding from the chemical companies. Over the past 10 years that I have been a Master Gardener they have finally allowed some organic education to be taught, but very limited.

Also as a founding member of a county program I can tell you that the goal of this volunteer organization is first and foremost to educate the public on how to garden better. Here we focused on water conservation with less lawn, choosing drought tolerant plants and mulch, mulch, mulch.

The best part to being a Master Gardener is giving back to your community and always learning something new from the guest speakers we would get for our monthly meetings.

If you got the time, it is a great experience.

·
Old Toot
296 Posts
I found the Master Gardener classes to be a good starting point. I'm starting my 3rd year with the Parker County, TX organization and enjoy working with the community. At times I have a problem abiding by "you can only recommend what the state university has approved" but it's their rules.
AAPEX-call your local county agent. He's the head of each counties Master GArdener program if your county has one. Not all counties do. The Garden Web website has a forum for Master Gardeners also. Good Luck.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Bumpity bump bump!

I just started MG classes yesterday, have four months of them upcoming, but seems like it's going to be alot of fun. And honestly, the textbooks alone are worth more than the enrollment fee. Anybody else taking courses this year, or completed recently?

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
Oh, sounds like terrific fun! And very useful, all rolled into one. I wish the courses were as inexpensive out here.
Roses,

Check the University of California Cooperative Extension to see if your County has a class.

http://ucanr.org/ce.cfm

I'm going to go to the Master Food Preserver Program this year, Master Gardener next year. The El Dorado County class is only $60 - $90.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
California MG courses are $200 and require 50 hours volunteer work. Since I already work in three community gardens, write a county farm and garden newsletter and my employer is paying me for my time to take the class as well as covering tuition, Its not a worry for me, but the fact that classes are on thursday afternoons from 1-5, keeps the fulltimers out of the frey.

·
Permaculturist
1,032 Posts
Bumpity bump bump!

I just started MG classes yesterday, have four months of them upcoming, but seems like it's going to be alot of fun. And honestly, the textbooks alone are worth more than the enrollment fee. Anybody else taking courses this year, or completed recently?
Thank you very much for the update. Could you please post the Title & Author of each textbook? Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.