Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Yup
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of these mass robberies like nordstrom going on i am wondering legally as a bystander what are your options. If they are unarmed but you are carrying can you legally shoot them to stop a robbery? I am sure to some extent it depends on the state and local prosecutor. Somehow standing by and watching a bunch of aholes clean out your local store doesn't seem right either. Last year a 80 year old lady chased down a robber and shot him in the back as he was running away. The police chief said "it looked like a good shooting to me" So I realize a lot depends on the local area. Just a general question. I personally would not shoot an unarmed man. It's not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Honestly I will use a firearm to protect my life or another’s if there is a serious threat. I am not using a firearm to protect someone elses property. It is up to a storeowner to decide if they want to protect their property or leave it up to insurance.

Using a firearm on another person has consequences no matter what the reason is. Make sure the reason is worth the potential consequences.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Leaving aside the legalities for a moment, I can't imagine that I would ever want to take another human life over some stuff. While I think these people are pure garbage, it's certainly not worth a life. Now, let's say you want to make a citizen's arrest. State law will vary, but essentially, you'd have to have some real good reason for doing it and then you would likely have to prove they were committing a crime. YOU would have to PROVE this. (At least in some states where I've looked this kind of thing up.) And if you can't? Guess what? You could end up getting charged with assault, maybe kidnapping, because that's what you actually did.

It's maybe true that a store owner or employee could legitimately claim they were afraid for their life during a robbery and used a deadly weapon like a gun. For anyone else? No way. The Kyle kid may have been a special case. But what he did was certainly not to intentionally intervene - with deadly force - to keep any peace.

Nope. The problem here is an utter breakdown in the social contract. If cops - who are usually the only ones legally allowed to use force under color of authority for such things - are enjoined for doing anything, what makes anyone thinks a private citizen can? We're going to have to wait for things to get even worse before they get better. It looks like that's starting to happen. Maybe not everywhere. But so what? In the garbage places, taxpayers, stores, etc. will just keep moving out and the place will get even more trashed. But we're nowhere near the bottom yet. These people maybe could use a good smack in the face. And maybe it makes me not so good a person either, but I wouldn't be broken up if they were hurt or worse in the process of their acts. But to just intervene in basic stealing though use of deadly force by a non-law enforcement citizen? That's begging to be front page news and tossed in jail.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
While I also think the people who do this are human trash and society would be much better off without them, unless someone's life is in imminent danger, I'm staying out of it.

Why would I risk my life for someone else's property? It's not going to end well for you. If there's 80 of them and 1 of you, you're not going to shoot them all! You're just going to end up making yourself a target - either now or sometime later. The news will make you out to be a racist scumbag. People will be on TV going on about how the hoodlum you shot with a rap sheet longer than a CVS receipt was their poor innocent baby who wouldn't have hurt a fly and crying for justice to be served.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Leaving aside the legalities for a moment, I can't imagine that I would ever want to take another human life over some stuff. While I think these people are pure garbage, it's certainly not worth a life. Now, let's say you want to make a citizen's arrest. State law will vary, but essentially, you'd have to have some real good reason for doing it and then you would likely have to prove they were committing a crime. YOU would have to PROVE this. (At least in some states where I've looked this kind of thing up.) And if you can't? Guess what? You could end up getting charged with assault, maybe kidnapping, because that's what you actually did.

It's maybe true that a store owner or employee could legitimately claim they were afraid for their life during a robbery and used a deadly weapon like a gun. For anyone else? No way. The Kyle kid may have been a special case. But what he did was certainly not to intentionally intervene - with deadly force - to keep any peace.

Nope. The problem here is an utter breakdown in the social contract. If cops - who are usually the only ones legally allowed to use force under color of authority for such things - are enjoined for doing anything, what makes anyone thinks a private citizen can? We're going to have to wait for things to get even worse before they get better. It looks like that's starting to happen. Maybe not everywhere. But so what? In the garbage places, taxpayers, stores, etc. will just keep moving out and the place will get even more trashed. But we're nowhere near the bottom yet. These people maybe could use a good smack in the face. And maybe it makes me not so good a person either, but I wouldn't be broken up if they were hurt or worse in the process of their acts. But to just intervene in basic stealing though use of deadly force by a non-law enforcement citizen? That's begging to be front page news and tossed in jail.
Thanks for adding the reality back into the scene.

·
Registered
548 Posts
All of these mass robberies like nordstrom going on i am wondering legally as a bystander what are your options. If they are unarmed but you are carrying can you legally shoot them to stop a robbery? I am sure to some extent it depends on the state and local prosecutor. Somehow standing by and watching a bunch of aholes clean out your local store doesn't seem right either. Last year a 80 year old lady chased down a robber and shot him in the back as he was running away. The police chief said "it looked like a good shooting to me" So I realize a lot depends on the local area. Just a general question. I personally would not shoot an unarmed man. It's not worth the risk to me.
Pabst, something like this would probably get to state-level real fast.

Speaking only for myself, I would leave place ASAP. Shoot someone while in complete compliance with all local, state and Fed laws, can still cause person to be financially destitute.

Look up term "Wilding".

1 - 20 of 150 Posts