Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
IT'S A MADHOUSE!
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read plenty about Frost Mora knives but do any of you know much about Marttiini Knives? They seem to be in the same price range, How is the quality?

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
I have two. They are like a Rolls Royce version of Mora. And sharper. Sheaths are very nice also. Got a 5" Condor Big Game for about $26 and the smaller Little Condor Basic for about $21 on eBay (including shipping). Haven't really used them, but all reports are they are as useful as they are gorgeous.

Mine have silver rivets and bolsters instead of the gold though. The bolsters are actually polymer with metal coating, though.

- OS

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
They do have some nice blades. But I to don't know which ones I like the best. No offense but I like almost each one better then the one you originally posted. To me it just looks to much like a fillet knife.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Marttiini knives have been around a long time and are excellent quality. i own a couple of antique ones, but no recent ones. the antiques are beautiful.
i agree with you. i have a knife my father brought from northern finland 13 years ago , and gave me a couple of months ago for my 17th birthday . i took a picture from the internet , my knife is exactly the same except that on mine there is a slight custom-made finger groove near the blade for better handling. i will soon post a picture of mine

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got their filleting knife, everyone who has used it so far has commented on how nice it feels in the hand and how easy it makes preparing fish. The handles are great for using with wet/slippery hands.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
I just got two Mora Companions and a Marttiini hunter in. The Marttiini hunter is in stainless steel and has a black plastic handle (that or lack of a better description feels like tire rubber or some kind of hard neoprene. The Marttiini has a better finish to the blade than the Mora companion simply because the top of the spine of the blade is finished on the Marttiini and left in the rough on the companions. Though it would be really easy to file the rough down on the companion. Or leave it as is so as to get a better bite on a ferro rod.

Tha Marttiini hunter set me back about 16 bucks. So all in all if the steel is good then I did alright. The handle and "stainless plated" plastic fingergaurd are cheesy as all get out, yet I really don't care. If it cuts and stays together then I'm good to go...If not then I'm not out that much.

The Marttiini immitation leather sheath is OK. Though the plastic Sheaths that come with the Mora Companion look to be better designed and constructed. Either way I could give all three knives away and only be out 40 bucks...

Reactions: slickwilly

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
The Marttiini immitation leather sheath is OK.
http://www.marttiini.fi/in_English/Product_Information/Materials.iw3

"LEATHER SHEATH
Leather stealths of Marttiini knives are made of plant or chrome tanned leather. Leather is mostly acquired from Europe. Stealths are made of natural and painted leather.
Knife stealths are still mostly made by hand. Each stealth must be exactly the designed size and appearance so that it forms a perfect couple with the knife. A template iron is used to cut a blank from leather and before sewing the edges are glued together. Several stealths have a plastic sleeve inside that prevents the blade from penetrating the stealth.
Stealth impressions are made either on the stealth blank or the finished stealth. The stealth’s surface finishing may also include varnish that increases its dash and protects the stealth from dirt and moisture. The rivets and possible bronze bands reinforce and decorate the stealth. "

You think the company is flat-out lying?

Though I find the bolster/finger guard sort of cheesy myself, the grip is as ergonomic and comfortable as any I've ever felt. And I find the sheaths to be much more secure in every way than any of the several different variants of Mora plastic sheaths I have, both in holding the knife itself and attaching to the belt. Not to mention they are much more aesthetically pleasing.

- OS

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...t&SearchText=Marttiini&Search.x=11&Search.y=5

This is the Marttiini, I bought, I'm looking at the sheath and it is manmade material...Pleather?

Granted if you spend more than I did you'd probably get a leather sheath. I could care less about the sheath being Pleather...It's the steel in the blade that matters to me. What is jerking my chain right now is that I believe I gave 16 bucks or the one I have and they are advertised at 14. :D::D:

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...t&SearchText=Marttiini&Search.x=11&Search.y=5

This is the Marttiini, I bought, I'm looking at the sheath and it is manmade material...Pleather?

Granted if you spend more than I did you'd probably get a leather sheath. I could care less about the sheath being Pleather...It's the steel in the blade that matters to me. What is jerking my chain right now is that I believe I gave 16 bucks or the one I have and they are advertised at 14. :D::D:
I dunno, I'm thinking SMKW simply blew the description. Mine seem to be real leather, the Marttiini site says they are leather, and three other sites I just looked at say the black ones are leather.

Yours have that softer lighter colored inner layer on them? If so, it's exactly the same finish that Condor uses in their leather sheaths. Anything's possible, but I'd say it's Nubuck, just like some shoes I have, with a chemical sealant on them, just like their site says. Nubuck is "sanded" down so that it looks perfectly uniform.

Whatever they are, I think they work great.

- OS

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
I dressed off the roughness along the top of the spine on my Moras...Much nicer now. Mora left that area unfinished on the companion, the blade is a stamping, the sides and cutting edge are finished and polished, just not the top which is left as stamped??? I't didn't take more than a half hour with an 8" mill file and stone to clean it up and make pretty.

Got to say the Moras come SHARP as sharp can be, which is nice, I've bought knives that were a lot more expensive and they arrived less than sharp.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
I think I' throw mine out in the garage and use it to scrape crud off car parts...open blisterpacs and in general abuse the crap out of it just to see if it will stand up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts