Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Respectfully, I would countenance rethinking the proposition of wearing these, during a state of civil unrest and imposed martial law.

There are some real stupid and undisciplined people out there who own guns, who will shoot at a leaf being blown about by the wind.

There are obviously going to be alot of gun 'newbies' out there now, who do not have a bloody clue about how to intelligently and justifiably use firearms.

They will see what appears to be a member of the military and will not be circumspect and disciplined enough to make proper distinctions.

I have several sets from when I served in the armed forces, but there is no way that I will wear these, if things get as bad as they may.

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
I know what you mean. I've heard lots of people say that when TSHTF, they are going to get their camo out and go into hiding. It makes me laugh. Wearing camouflage during that time is basically just making yourself a sitting duck!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I wouldn't wear camo in an urban area. It doesn't work there anyways. I'm sorry, but when you're standing next to a building I can spot you no matter what kind of clothes you're wearing.

But out in the woods is another story.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think rridgeoutlaw is my very first internet stalker. All he does is follow me around and makes lame attempts at humor.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't wear camo in an urban area. It doesn't work there anyways. I'm sorry, but when you're standing next to a building I can spot you no matter what kind of clothes you're wearing.

But out in the woods is another story.
If soldiers are deployed, they are seemingly far more likely to be deployed in urban areas, than the forest.

The context is obviously an urban one.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
All Im gonna wear is my tinfoil hat and a big smile.:D:

Reactions: Paulycracker

·
Registered
204 Posts
All Im gonna wear is my tinfoil hat and a big smile.:D:
I though about that but the tinfoil hat is a little too restrictive and not tactical at all.

Me, I'm gonna be butt naked, but covered from head to toe in camo paint. I'll carry a sharpened stick for self-defense purposes.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
when studying (mainly reading) ninjutsu in high school, a section in the first book (Stephen Hayes) outlined the modern equivalencies to old ninja tools. in the case of urban camoflage, he suggested blue jeans. Not only do the tone match most cement and concrete walls and roads in the dark- but you don't look like youre up to no good if you're made while wearing the.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I think we could have done without the gay parade costumes. As for camo... I find it offensive unless one is in the military on active duty. This does not mean don't own any for down the road, but usually it is worn outside of the military by ignorant rambo want-a-be's... you know, the guys who can't join the military for a wide variety of personal reasons all going back to lack of character.

·
Home...where the horse is
186 Posts
When I used to have to go downtown in Jacksonville, FL to work with troubled kids, I would wear a suit and carry a Bible...I looked like a preacher, and could go anywhere unmolested. Nice disguise.

·
Banned
653 Posts
I'll stick with the costume, everyone will think you're crazy and harmless, also you could easily hide a assault rifle and a shotgun under that thing making it a helluva surprise...

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Grey man. Have lots of modern camo but wouldn't think of wearing it outside deer and elk season with an orange vest. It has a purpose, just not in the city when things are wishy washy. Instead I intend to be as grey man as possible, guns hidden and a country folk look. Its the first impression that counts.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've spent some time doing sneaky things in urban areas, and we were trained from the outset that if you don't want to look like you're military, clothing is only about half the issue.

The idea is for people to look at you and not peg you for what you are, which in the case of most of the true survivalists on this board is a highly-alert individual with excellent situational awareness and a very bad attitude when it comes to being stopped from getting to point B from point A.

In normal life you might look an authority figure in the eye either as a non-spoken "**** you" or as a mark of respect. You might walk tall, confident that you can handle most anything the situation will throw at you. You might CROSS THE ROAD to WALK THROUGH that gang of potential trouble-makers.

In a hostile urban environment all of the above can get you killed, regardless of whether you are wearing jeans and an untucked polo shirt (untucked is very important BTW).

You do not want to make eye contact with anybody. The eyes are the window to the soul and in a high-stress situation you might not be able to properly shield what you're thinking. You also want to do what Momma told you not to and slouch a little. Not the slouch of a rebellious teenager, but the slouch of a broken sheeple whose life, hopes and dreams has just gone into the ****ter.

If you swagger or march when you walk out of habit, put a couple of small balls of scrunched up paper in one of your shoes. It'll help you look broken and bent because your gait will be way off and you might even limp a little.

If`you are stopped by the authorities, look slightly panicked or frightened. They won't see a threat, they'll see a sheeple.

If you are stopped by criminal or gang types, do the same. Do NOT try and psych them out by coming across as a mushroom cloud layin mother****er mother ****er. Your best defense against this sort of threat is the fact they you have the drop on them. If don't think you can fight your way out of it and it doesn't look lik eyou're gonna get beaten to death with a fire extinguisher, then give them some cash or whatever and imshi ASAP.

A few notes on useful bits of clothing -

Biker sunglasses - they don't look official or military and these days, noone will think you're a mean and nasty biker. DO NOT wear Wiley X SG1 style goggles with a head strap and don't wear aviator sunglasses.

Headwear - If you wear a baseball cap, make sure it's a beat-up one. A brown civvy knitted watch cap is better in most environments in the cooler months. Get one with ear flaps and not only will you have warm ears, but you'll look like a hippie - this is a good thing.

Footwear - don't wear military boots or hiking boots (unless they are the type that can be mistaken for cross trainers). You WILL get pegged. This one is still a problem for me because due to a parachuting accident a few years back, I ALWAYS wear hi top boots - they seem to support my ankles better than shoes.

Pants - Jeans, earth tone cargo pants, whatever - this is personal preference stuff.

Jacket - a loose bomber style jacket is good. You can get three season wear out of it and if you have to you can wear a loaded ops waistcoat (or basic survival vest) underneath.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i don't think some camo is bad. i wear camo pants all the time because of the amount of pockets and the price. but i DO NOT run around in full BDU's.

nothing says average joe in alabama than worn hiking boots,camo pants, and a nascar shirt!! people won't even give you a second glance unless they think you have beer.LOL

1 - 20 of 39 Posts