Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bad i said the M-word

Hey im in my 10th grade and just out of curiosity, is marriage as bad as some people say ive met people including my parents who have "Stable Marriages" they enjoy there marriage most of the time but wish they didnt marry. Is marriage worth it? Ive been with girls and liked them but never thought seriously of them becuase im in high school and i wouldnt take the relationship seriously (sadly some people take it seriously). Ive already mapped out my future i plan on joining the army and making a professional career out of the military after 6 years im going to get out and work for a military contractor and get paid well hopefully if the need is still there, but not planned to get married or have kids EVER. Ive only been In love once and i was willing to throw everything (even get married if she said yes:taped:) away for her however the love wasn't reciprocated and she happened to be a good friend and now we are not:( . but anyways why i ask this is because i went to the nurse last week at my school and somehow we started conversation and she was telling me not to go do drugs, have under age sex, you know the stuff you here all the time in high school and she told me how she made the right choices and how her religious guidance had helped her guide her way through life and how she said marriage is the most wonderful thing ever other than her children i was like What? is she lying!!! because in todays society marriage is seen as too much trouble to even bother with (tv brainwashing does this too you)

Is marriage this wonderfull expirence like my school nurse said?

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
Marriage is what you make it. I have been married twice. The first time was the most miserable 8 years of my life except for my daughter. She was the one and only good thing to come of it. We were entirely too young.

My second has been 19 years of happiness. I won't lie and tell you it has been easy. There have been hard times. But when you are married to your best friend you want to work through problems together.

You are young. Too young to be saying you will never marry or have kids. Get back to me in a few years and see if you are still singing the same song.

·
"Fast Mover"
236 Posts
Ryan, I waited on the Lord's Will for my life, and he sent me a wonderful woman. I love my wife and I would bleed to keep her from crying...

I encourage you to not make plans for "not EVER" getting married, its easy to say now, but when you find the right woman, you'll eat those words. lol

Planning is a good thing, but life sometimes changes, and you must come up with new plans, and when it does I hope they involve a wonderful little lady for you someday.

Good luck, and its worth it!

Pointblank

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Don't eat the wedding cake.......And don't let her eat it either...

Reactions: test

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
To much information

I never thought I would get married, I was miserable and knew it but thought that was what life was. When I met my wife my world changed, and that is how I knew I wanted to get married. Now I'm a widower and was happier than I ever thought could be legal. While I am miserable again without my wife, I am thankful for the years I had with my wife. When the woman is right for your and your are ready, there will be no doubt in your mind. Also, I only knew my wife for three months when I proposed to her, I knew she was the one.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Marriage is not what it was for the older generations.

When I see some of the older people who are married I think of how they are so devoted to each other and full of love for one another but with my generation and later generations it isn't like that.

From my point of view, women are too stuck on earning ability and paying their way by laying on their back. I dont know a single married couple of my generation or later that the woman isnt cheating on her husband. True most of those husbands are also cheating but not all of them.

My best friends wife ran around on him for years and still is. He forgives her repeatedly and she just keep doing it and claiming it is his fault for not paying her enough attention. Last month, she got caught doing a "train" with 6 men at one time.

Still, to hear her say it, she is virginal and never cheated on him and she dares him to say anything different publicly and he will swear she doesn't cheat on him and then come to me crying because she had two guys in bed with her this morning when he got home from work and it is still his fault because he wont pay her enough attention.

Personally I lived through 7 years of pure hell in my marriage. I wont do it again.

I remember coming home to 5 men running out of my house every evening because my ex wife was entertaining. She did things I cannot even repeat on this forum. I will NEVER get married again.

To all the women who swear that THEY arent like that I submit that my ex wife said the same thing and she was one of the worst.

·
6,686 Posts
Neither my wife or I cheat, but then again even though we're both in our early 30's we have a pretty old school way of looking at things.

Reactions: test and 4giv3n1

·
Registered
176 Posts
If I ever get married again it will be in a burning building.
That way I get burned to death.
Its less painful and quicker than having to suffer! :D:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I'm HAPPILY MARRIED, Marriage is a two way street, but a long engagement sure helps make sure it's to the right person

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
10th grade? Why in heavens name are you even thinking about marriage? The only thing you should be concerned with at this point in your life is getting the best education you possibly can and enjoying your high school years.

I have two sons....one is 19 and the other is 26 so I know a little about guys. Do yourself a favor.....date a lot of girls and don't go steady. Go learn to hunt, and fish. Go backpacking, hiking, camping etc. Don't let any girl pressure you to get involved in a relationship in high school. You're too young. Plan on being single and enjoying yourself. Learn to like yourself, get to know who you are and what you want out of life. For gosh sakes, you have plenty of time.

One last thing. When you do find the right woman......and hopefully you'll be in your late 20's when that happens. Don't base your decisions on anyone else's relationship. Listen to older folk's advise, (we're wiser than we look;)) but take what you want from it and leave the rest. Including mine.

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
I'm a soon to be 28 year old woman who is on her second marriage. My first marriage was 5 years (2 engaged and 3 married) to a man that was abusive. Had we not fought so much and had he not been abusive on the many levels he was, we probably would have lasted. Now I am married again. The weird thing is I was going through my divorce when I met my current husband. Many people told me that I was rushing into things. But they didn't know my heart. I had learned the warning signs. My husband was very reserved and afraid to get hurt again after just getting out of a 3 year relationship. Both his and my parents said they knew the first time they saw us together that this one was different. We were smitten with eachother. We married a year and a half later. We've now been married for 2 years. The newness has worn off but I am still smitten with him. We have our squabbles but we work through them just like you would with a close friend.

When you find someone that you connect with on every level - spiritual, emotional, and physical - then that is the person that you should be with. Many people ignore warning signs of the wrong person when they are dating because they are in love. My husbands grandmother once told me "When you are dating, go into it with eyes WIDE open. When you are married, you close one eye." In other words, make yourself aware of the warning signs during dating. When you get those and they are things that cannot or will not be fixed, break it off before you get deeper committed. When you are married though, that is supposed to be 'till death do you part'. You let those little quirks roll off of you. You work through things but you don't let the little things get to you. If you go in with this mindset, you will likely have a happy and long marriage.

You are too young to be saying never. When you find the right person, you should know. And if you don't, then she may not be that right person for you.

Reactions: Highpower and test

·
Registered
176 Posts
Save yourself a lot of time and trouble.

When thinking of getting married..........
Find a woman that hates your guts and just give her your house and all your belongings. :taped:

That should learn ya!

·
6,686 Posts
Live with her first, regardless of what anyone says, live together first. Everyone I know who lived together first has far fewer problems than those who didn't.

Reactions: boyscout

·
Registered
17 Posts
Marriage is tough sometimes. You get what you give.
I have only been married for a couple of years and still like it. It is a different experience for sure, wonderful at times. Think long & hard about the person you think is right. Look at their parents and see how they act.
Everything that I have heard about the 1st 5 years being the toughest is absolutely correct. If I had to do it all over again I would have tried to get better prepared financially for it.

And for the record, Women do change once you've married them. I never believed it until I experienced it.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Palladin... you said "'I'm HAPPILY MARRIED, Marriage is a two way street, but a long engagement sure helps make sure it's to the right person"

and I am glad to say that you and i have that in common.

Now a question for everyone who had a bad experience in marriage :

DID you see the red flags, hear the warning in the back of your mind, and ignore it?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Okon...you said "And for the record, Women do change once you've married them. I never believed it until I experienced it."

To that i have to say, Women who were putting on an act will change.
Twenty years later my wife looks ten years older but she hasnt changed otherwise.
But she never put on an act for me, doesnt for anyone. Maybe that is rare.

For my money, its dang hard to find an American woman who is not putting on SOME sort of an act. Maybe that is just my experience.

·
Registered
291 Posts
the only thing getting married does is get the state involved in your monetary affairs period. just live together and be happy and if ever the time comes when the couple decides to break up they can do it quickly and quietly.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts