Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this 22 for 14 years now and fun as can be. It's more accurate than I am and has always been dependable. It will jam if I forget to clean it every couple thousand rounds or so but other than that I've never had a single issue with the rifle. My question is should I scope it or not? I don't currently have a scoped 22 but I seem to do good with iron sights on the ones I do have. If you think I should scope do you have any recommendations on a good 22 scope? Thanks everyone.

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can hit a pop can at 50-100yds pretty consistently. But I'm wondering if a scope could get me down to a golf ball.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
One consideration: I couldn't find any tip off rings that wouldn't "walk", no matter how tight I got them, so I used an air rifle type tip off to weaver base that grips with several points plus a vertical tension screw also, then used weaver type rings.

- OS

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
BSA 22 Special Scope; S3-9x32WR; $70
http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=35

Leapers (UTG/Accushot) One Piece, Medium Profile, Air Rifle/.22 LR mount w/ 1" integral rings; $15
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers...th-integral-medium-profile-mount-rgpm2pa.html

I have both on my Marlin 60. Outstanding. The one piece mount does not shift and grabs the groove on top of the Marlin nicely. This combo is a favorite among Marlin 60 owners. As much affordable (but still good quality) scope as you need in a really bombproof mount that does not walk loose.

Edit to add: Same scope for $60 from Midway...
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/61...pe-3-9x-32mm-duplex-reticle-matte-with-rings?
cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Optics+-+Scopes+-+Under+12X-_-BSA-_-614092&gclid=CN6S-56bvMwCFQ2QaQodlvUJjg

Reactions: KHos

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
They are as much as a scope, but Tech Sights or a Williams peep sight can get you to the golf ball or shotgun hulls with irons.

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can hit a golf ball or 12ga hull probably 3/5 times with stock irons. I'm just thinking a little magnification may make that more like 9/10.:thumb:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I prefer aperture sights like Tech Sights and they offer one with 3 interchangeable inserts that will fit several on models of Marlins including model 60. Unfortunately many people don't know how to get the best accuracy with aperture sights and it's really simple. If you look through the aperture while focused on the front sight you should see a small bright spot in the middle of the aperture. That spot will be brighter and easier to see on sunny days and less so on cloudy days. If you sit that tiny bright spot on the very top of the front blade (like a soft ball sitting on a fence post) you should be able to hit pretty much anything you're aiming at if your elevation and windage are set correctly. You probably will have to raise your point of aim or adjust your sights on cloudy days because it's not as easy to see the spot distinctly and you'll probably shoot low.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just get an inexpensive 3-9x40 with some good, quality rings and you'll be able to wring a bit more out of that gun. In my opinion you'll be a bit more confident and up your percentage chance of hitting further out.

And, on that note, who sights their .22lr in at 200 yards?!?! That's crazy! I'm at 25 yards on .22lr. Hey, whatever works but I think that's overly optimistic for that caliber. I think at 100-125 one is really 'stretching the legs' of that round.

Happy shooting, good hunting and may you eat well.

·
Registered
34,642 Posts
A model 60 was my first .22

I have several and several Papooses.

While my 10\22's, CZ and others wear scopes, none of my marlins do.

Never thought about it, just is what it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts