Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the market for a nice little .22 and i don't have enough for a ruger 10/22. I want to know how accurate reliable and how overall fun these guns are to shoot. Also for the Marlin 60 i would like to know how many rounds it holds. The Marlin is a little more expensive but i'm willing to spend it on it if its worth it. I will purchase a scope for both rifles as well.Thanks...If i got the Marlin i wold upgrade/customize the sock and get a dragonov stock down the road.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I have never shot a Savage Mark 2, so I have no opinion on that.

But I have shot a Marlin model 60 and it is a fine rifle. The barrel of the Marlin model 60 is a little longer then the Ruger 10/22. This makes it a little quieter. The sights have micro adjustments, which makes it really nice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the marlin model 60 with an aftermarket simmons 4x scope. This gun is incredibly reliable, accurate, and fun. The magazine technically holds 14 but depending on what you feed it you can actually get 15 rounds in there. It is, as you know, semi auto and will cycle as fast as you can pull the trigger. Once you have a nice scope zeroed in you can attain excellent groupings out to 100-150 yards with this rifle. I would recommend it any day over the ruger 10/22... UNLESS you are really big into modifying the gun into some kind of frankenstein 10/22 machine gun that will one day blow up in your hands due to bizarre modifications.

Seriously though the 10/22 is a fine rifle, but the Marlin 60 is easily the best for your money right out of the box. the only advice i would give is to spray down the bore, the chamber, and the reciever with wd-40 when you first get it, as sometimes they are not properly lubed off the shelf. once you hit it with some oil, though, amazing gun.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
cant go wrong with a 60. the micro groove barrels are capable of excellent accuracy, and theyre reliable enough once you find the ammo it likes best and keep it clean.

i shot the heck out of mine until it wouldnt fire anymore. i made the mistake of using wd-40 on the bolt. it gummed up so bad that it jammed shut solid.

wd-40 (water displacement) isnt for lubrication, its a cleaner or unsticker, good for blasting gunk out of areas, but it quickly drys and allows for corrosion. if any wd residue is left it will badly gum things up. id have been much better off using 3 in 1 oil or gun oil.

i recently found that alot of people run their .22s dry (never oiled). ive been doing this with my newer 22s with good success. the friction smooths out over time and theres never any build up of grit or gunk because when its dry nothing sticks to it.

·
The Bad guy
1,512 Posts
you dont want to oil your semi-autos.

same ol .22 propoganda. the mk-2 is a great rifle as well. the 60 is a good one and had its time, but i would go with the savage.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Another vote for the model 60. My model 60 was my first rifle and one of the best I own. Around my parts I have seen the stainless version come already scoped at wal-mart. I shot mine forever with the iron sites, I have managed to put a scope on it now. Great shooter, love the model 60!

Tbull:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I was talked out of buying a Marlin 60 by a local gunsmith who said he's sees way too many them coming in to his shop compared to other .22s. I bought a gently used stevens/savage model 62 semi auto instead, and it's been a fantastic gun.

I belive the 60 can hold up to 19 rounds of 22 short.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Free Trapper
189 Posts
Being a gunsmith, I have had way too many Marlin 60's come in the shop with FTF and FTE problems. The parts/labor are expensive and most folks opt out of having them repaired. These rifles were not meant to be an heirloom quality firearm. There are a lot of stamped/cast parts that make up the trigger-group that are prone to damage. Not to mention the plastic recoil buffer that becomes brittle with age/cleaning solvent and breaks apart with use. My advice would be to steer clear on the 60. No offense to any 60 owners, just my experiences with them. The Ruger 10/22, on the other hand, is a fantastic rifle with little or no problems. It too has cast parts and some stamped parts, but Ruger got it right on! I have yet to have one come in the shop for repair and there are literally thousands of them here in my community. In fact, it is the only semi-auto .22lr that I recommend or stock. If you want to spruce it up a little, there are tons of aftermarket accessories available. My retail prices for each in the blued/wood combination are: Marlin 60 $176.15 Ruger 10/22 $119.79. Well worth the price difference to get the Ruger! Hope this helps and God Bless! Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts